Gransnet forums

Food

Priority slots for elderly and vulnerable

(70 Posts)
Atqui Thu 26-Mar-20 09:17:42

Good morning. I’ve received an email from Sainsbury’s saying they are issuing more slots for elderly/ vulnerable shoppers. Does anyone know how to access this service? I can’t find anything on the online grocery website?
Wishing you all safety and sanity flowers

kittylester Sun 29-Mar-20 04:42:06

*anyone

silverlining48 Sun 29-Mar-20 08:49:06

We managed to get onto Sainsbury’s yesterday by phone and registered as 70 plus. They will get back to us and hopefully we will get a delivery ? soon.
Absurdly relieved but won’t relax TIL we hear back from them,

silverlining48 Sun 29-Mar-20 08:50:28

Have nectar card available

Daddima Sun 29-Mar-20 08:53:26

I’ve posted this on other posts, but Iceland are delivering. All I had to do was to click to say I am of pensionable age or vulnerable. I ordered yesterday, and it’s being delivered today. I was already registered with them, but I don’t know if that made a difference.
Of course, lots of stuff showing as ‘ out of stock’

everos Tue 31-Mar-20 12:26:05

I registered my husbands Sainsburys card over the phone on Friday morning - he is 74. The recorded message said they would verify it and contact us within 48 hours. So far, nothing. I believe it is because they don't have any available spots anyway. There are no slots for any of the local supermarkets, not even click & collect.

GrandmaMoira Tue 31-Mar-20 13:01:23

I was lucky to be able to register with Sainsburys as being vulnerable before the shielded group was announced as I'm not on that list. I always shop online and don't drive so it was quite a relief. I have a delivery booked for Friday. They are not releasing slots very far ahead.

BBbevan Tue 31-Mar-20 15:45:09

Some of new slots on Sainsbury’s in our area have a green van on them Might these be for the vulnerable? I can find nothing that tells me so. Just had an excellent delivery today. The driver said it was small compared to some. He said people were getting together with neighbours and putting in one enormous order .

Pikachu Tue 31-Mar-20 15:55:12

Given up on the Supermarkets - their promises mean nothing. Instead found that the local butcher is delivering meat and a pub around the corner is delivering veg boxes.

I spoke to the manager and rather than cancel all their veg from their suppliers, they are still getting it delivered, boxng it up and delivering locally.

Now there’s good thinking. When this is over I will not be using supermarkets who have let us down but going to local shops more. Even it if costs more.

Rosalyn69 Tue 31-Mar-20 16:00:47

Sainsbury’s only offer slots for the priority folk two or three days ahead in my area. But I’ve had one two weeks running. Maybe I’ve just been lucky. I didn’t do anything - they notified me.

Fernbergien Tue 31-Mar-20 16:16:35

SAINSBURY Vulnerable Customer Help Line-
0800-052-5500.

Daddima Tue 31-Mar-20 16:20:27

BBevan the green van’s been there for ages. I booked one of these slots once, and it thanked me for using a ‘ Green Slot’. I don’t know what was green about it!

Daisymae Tue 31-Mar-20 16:25:50

Ocado have deleted all their pre booked reserved slots. They did not contact us to see if we are in the vulnerable group. So I don't know. It's all very stressful and worrying.

Fernbergien Tue 31-Mar-20 16:33:04

The green van is the slot for anyone to choose. It means it is a short journey route in your area therefor using less fuel so “green”.

Mamissimo Tue 31-Mar-20 16:41:10

Daddima green slots indicate that the van is already in your area so your delivery uses less fuel and time.

Sainsbugs has been prioritising their regular shoppers who were on their vulnerable radar from the start. They are still doing this and are now also prioritising shielded people from the governments list. Once they have identified customers from their area on that list they will contact them and tell them how to access the protected slots.

I wish they would give supermarket staff protective clothing - they are working with the public for hours at a time - if they all get sick we really will have a whole new problem!

NannaLyn Wed 01-Apr-20 15:57:57

Sainsbury's said they hadn't been able to identify me as one of their elderly or vulnerable customers. (I've been a customer in my own right since April 1968!) I'm 73 next month and have Follicular Lymphoma, for which I am having treatment, although my last chemo cycle which was due today has been cancelled because of the Corona Virus.

Sainsbury's said to register on GOV.UK as extremely vulnerable (I've already had 2 letters and several texts confirming that I am extremely vulnerable.)

I telephoned 0800 953 4988 at 7.45 on Monday morning and answered the automated questionnaire. At the end of the call I was told that once my details had been checked, I would receive an urgent delivery date but this might take 2 days. I still haven't heard from them and when I log in to Sainsbury's account it still says they can't identify me etc.

Yesterday, a very nice lady from the council telephoned me to ask if I was OK for food at the moment. I told her that I was OK at the moment as my husband had received an email from Waitrose giving him a priority click and collect slot yesterday afternoon as he was over 70. (Nothing for me although I'm usually the one who shops there.)

I thanked the lady from the council and she said she would call me again in a few days.

To my surprise, at lunchtime today there was a knock on our door and found a box of food on the doorstep! I told the man who delivered it that I didn't really need it and that I'd told the council that I didn't need it. He checked my name and told me to keep it anyway!

It consists of the following:

Large tin mushy peas
4 tins Heinz tomato soup
2 tins Heinz baked beans
Tin corned beef
Corn flakes
2 loo rolls
Bag potatoes
Jar Dolmio bolognaise sauce
Packet spaghetti
Large tin prunes
5 satsumas
5 golden delicious apples
Tin tuna chunks
2 sachets Uncle Ben's long grain rice
Tin chopped tomatoes
10 individual coffee sachets
10 teabags
5 packets of 2 biscuits (very nice looking ones)
2 small bars of soap
4 small bottles shampoo/bodywash
Large med sliced loaf, still partly frozen (bb 18/2/21) !

There was a note to say that if I didn't consider there to be enough food for a week, I was to contact my local council. Assuming I hear from Sainsbury's I'll call the council to cancel this. I have actually managed to get a Waitrose delivery slot on Monday 20 April - I booked this on about 17 March - it was the only delivery slot available on ANY of the main supermarket websites!

The Haematology Dept at the hospital also telephoned me to say that they were sending my cancer meds to me tomorrow and would I prefer to receive them in the morning or afternoon. Said whichever was better for them.

I was quite impressed - fresh fruit and veg is what I really need but at least I have apples and satsumas. A big thank you to whoever arranged this for me.

silverlining48 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:00:00

Despite being 'absurdly relieved' last weekend when i thought we had eventually got through to the sainsbury delivery and completed the online questions fir over 70 s, we still cant place an order as they replied saying out nectar card didnt match our information which is strange. So had to repeat the whole process and are back at the end of the list presumably, still waiting to hear from them. In the meantime we make do.

Largolass Thu 02-Apr-20 13:06:04

I'm a regular Sainsbury's shopper and always pick a slot with the green van as it stands for a bagless delivery only fresh meat and fish are put in clear plastic bags.

Daddima Thu 02-Apr-20 13:15:38

Well done nanalyn’s council.
I tried yet again to call Sainsbury’s, but as I’m in Scotland I’d to be transferred, as we’re not on Gov.uk.
So, went through all the nectar card number, most recent order number ( priority to previous customers apparently), then told they’re extremely busy, please try later.
Think I’ll stick with Iceland.

FlexibleFriend Thu 02-Apr-20 13:35:59

I had a delivery from Ocado on tuesday this week and have another booked for tuesday next week.

EllanVannin Thu 02-Apr-20 14:01:03

I haven't even begun this " nonsense " of ordering online. Because of whatever problem with whoever has cropped up in the past I dread to think who'll be at the other end of the phone ! I've been met with some of the most gormless characters you'd ever imagine and I've come to the conclusion that they're there " especially for me ".

I'm not annoyed about this any more, in fact it now takes me all my time not to collapse in a heap of hysterics laughter if I picture the individual at the other end.

Most of last year was spent contacting 3 different firms regarding having my central heating fitted---nearly a whole year !! Nobody seemed to know if it was Christmas Day or Pancake Tuesday, I kid you not.

Mum used to say, " if you want something doing, do it yourself " and by jove was she right.

EllanVannin Thu 02-Apr-20 14:04:22

10 to one they'd send me all the wrong stuff grin grin grin

Atqui Thu 02-Apr-20 14:10:31

thanks for telephone number Fern ( and anyone else who posted it. I got through straight away, and I am already registered as elderly, which must explain why Inwas suddenly able to book a slot . ?

silverlining48 Thu 02-Apr-20 15:51:09

Thanks fern but tried the number you gave but he couldn’t help and advised me to ring the number I was ringing before , Oh the frustration of it all,

BBbevan Fri 03-Apr-20 05:55:58

Thank you everyone about the green van info
We live an hour's drive from our nearest Sainsburys, but they still deliver here. So I presume I cannot us a green van slot ?

Daddima Fri 03-Apr-20 08:42:59

I phoned Fernbergiens number, and immediately got the ‘ lines very busy’ chat. However, two rings later, a lovely wee lass answered, and asked for date of birth ( 1952), whether I had had a letter from NHS, and an order number from previous delivery. She said she’d register me, but it might take a day or two, but when I looked later my order was still there, and I got a delivery slot for tomorrow. What I did notice was that there were many slots costing £6/£6.50, which is much more than I’ve ever seen. Mine was £2.50 ( green slot)
Thank you Fernbergien