Gransnet forums

Food

Priority slots for elderly and vulnerable

(70 Posts)
Atqui Thu 26-Mar-20 09:17:42

Good morning. I’ve received an email from Sainsbury’s saying they are issuing more slots for elderly/ vulnerable shoppers. Does anyone know how to access this service? I can’t find anything on the online grocery website?
Wishing you all safety and sanity flowers

Daddima Fri 03-Apr-20 08:46:20

Oh, and BBevan, I asked a driver one time where the orders were made up, and he told me they came from a big distribution centre about 10 miles from me, not from my nearest store.

Largolass Fri 03-Apr-20 09:06:21

BBevan of course you can accept a green van slot it only denotes a bagless delivery groceries arrive in crates instead of plastic bags.

Largolass Fri 03-Apr-20 09:13:14

Daddima think it depends on where you stay, my Sainsbury's order comes from local store and I'm also in Scotland ?

Chestnut Fri 03-Apr-20 18:30:15

Hooray! Waitrose has identified me as OLD after I sent them an email with big capital letters in the subject. I have a delivery booked for Monday 13th April.
Anyone who is a registered customer and can't get a delivery slot could try letting them know your age etc. Then they will give you access to slots. Here is my e-mail.

BBbevan Sat 04-Apr-20 18:13:51

Just got my Elderly slot from Sainsbury’s . Hurrah. I can have one a week

cornergran Sat 04-Apr-20 18:49:57

Well done chestnut. I’ve been having Waitrose deliveries, have one booked for Easter Monday, but have been blocked from booking more. I tried the same thing and had a standard reply saying, in essence, tough, too many customers and not enough deliveries . I may try again as currently struggling to get a delivery from anywhere.

mbmb Sat 04-Apr-20 19:06:59

I'm on Sainsbury's list and so far it's worked very well for me and I've had two deliveries which is a great relief for me as I don't have family nearby. I have a named person in the local support group and friends to collect prescriptions for me but I like to be independent as far as possible and not bother others for ordinary grocery shopping. I had an email from Waitrose today to say I was on their list and when I checked I could get a delivery but the minimum spend is £60! My small freezer is full to bursting so I didn't take up their offer.

merlotgran Sat 04-Apr-20 19:52:52

We're getting one delivery a week from Sainsbury's as well.

Nice to have everything back on an even keel even if not everything is available.

Leah50 Sat 25-Apr-20 13:30:09

I'm in danger of losing a very old friend due to her assuming she's classed as vulnerable. She is over 70 but is healthy & quite wealthy, lives in a house of three adults with three cars, with a superstore less than a mile away. Why the hell should she think she's entitled to online deliveries when people in genuine need are unable to access essential foods due to the greed of others like her.

merlotgran Sat 25-Apr-20 14:50:41

Leah50 Sainsbury's e-mailed us at the beginning of Lockdown saying they identified us as vulnerable because we're both over 70. Obviously they got this information from our registration. They didn't make any reference to DH's health issues.

I don't know how all the supermarkets work out who should get priority but your friend's wealth and number of people living in her house won't have any bearing on her eligibility if the supermarket account is in her name.

It does seem unfair that some people have difficulty getting slots despite their age and health problems but I wouldn't accuse anyone of being greedy just because they can.

Alishka Sat 02-May-20 22:03:19

Dammit, despite shopping at both Morrisons and Sainsburys, for years, I've always binned my store cards - my wallet is too full of other cards,ie mastercard,visa card,AA(oops!that's American Airlines not Alcoholics Anonymousgrin) and some travel &US cards,etc. to bother. That's working against me now,isn't it?sad

Missedout Sat 02-May-20 23:15:15

I started reading this thread with envy. I'm registered (shielding) but no supermarket has contacted me. I have managed to get 2 deliveries over the last 5 weeks so have relied heavily on the local farmshop who delivers locally.

As I was reading, I thought I'd check Sainsburys online and they have a delivery slot free next Saturday, well not any more because I have just snaffled it! It's a £3 'green van' slot too.

If I hadn’t read this thread, I may have missed an opportunity. grin

Marydoll Sun 03-May-20 00:01:19

I'm sheilding too , but no supermarket contacted me, I had to contact them!
I have managed to get both Tesco and Iceland ones.

Alishka Sun 03-May-20 19:44:26

YAYY! I got an Iceland one,too, choice of 3 days and all the times. I'm happysmile

Alishka Wed 06-May-20 21:08:01

Well, Iceland turned up trumps on Tuesday, got everything delivered in bags well within the 10-12 slot I'd requested, man brought the bags through to the kitchen, and their (few) subs were v.generous and at no extra cost.smile
Although they don't sell the jarred artichoke hearts and stuffed olives that make life worthwhile for me, I'll certainly stay with them for everyday stuff. Thank you,Iceland! and thanks also to the people here who alerted me to themsmile

Doodledog Thu 07-May-20 00:45:07

I'm in danger of losing a very old friend due to her assuming she's classed as vulnerable. She is over 70 but is healthy & quite wealthy, lives in a house of three adults with three cars, with a superstore less than a mile away. Why the hell should she think she's entitled to online deliveries when people in genuine need are unable to access essential foods due to the greed of others like her.
Online shopping is not greedy! It is the way I have shopped for about 20 years, and I see no reason to stop doing so now.

I have no problem with genuinely vulnerable people being given priority slots, even if they haven't shopped online in the past, but I really object to the assumption that after the vulnerable have been looked after it is somehow wrong of supermarkets to continue to deliver to its regular shoppers, who will, after all, continue to shop there when this is all over.

I think that a lot of elderly people don't want to order online. People posting on here are clearly IT literate and used to the Internet, but that is not the case across the 'older' population, so maybe there are now more online slots for the vulnerable than there are people who want them.

As a separate issue - I was sent an email saying that I could have a regular slot, and I'm not sure why.

Apart from at the beginning of the lockdown I have always had a delivery as a regular customer (I got an email saying that this is how Sainsbury's is operating - vulnerable first, then regulars, then everyone else, and I have had one every week).

I am not on the shielded list (or at least I have not had a text or a letter), but I do have asthma and a regular flu jab, so I wondered if the supermarket had access to a list of some sort.

I would not be happy if this is the case - not because of shopping issues, but because I firmly believe that health records should be strictly confidential unless people have given consent for them to be shared.

Franbern Fri 08-May-20 16:07:28

Well, I am just a month away from my 79th birthday. So, suppose, I come under Vulnerable category. Have shopped for years in Sainsbury;s (not on line). Know they have many details on my shopping habits from the items that are included on the list for me for extra Nectar points.
I have not had any notification and would not need it as I have continued going to a weekly shop during oldies hour. Have found this very convenient and easy.
When I was working, might have wanted on-line shopping, but not now, thank you.
One of my daughters (NHS worker), has for years done on-line shopping with Sainsbury;s. She was placed on the shielded list, but it was just over a fortnight before she received a notification from Sainsbury's saying been sent that information and, since then, she has been easily been able to get weekly delivery slots.

Hetty58 Fri 08-May-20 16:11:48

Strangely, Sainsbury's here (NE London) suddenly have delivery slots available! Either they've hired a lot more staff - or they've double-checked their 'vulnerable' list!

Largolass Fri 08-May-20 16:30:06

Sainsbury's have plenty of slots available this week and for next week so obviously things are settling down. They have taken on extra staff at my local store including twenty drivers. I have a delivery on the same day and at the same time each week.