Gransnet forums

Food

Priority slots for elderly and vulnerable

(69 Posts)
Atqui Thu 26-Mar-20 09:17:42

Good morning. I’ve received an email from Sainsbury’s saying they are issuing more slots for elderly/ vulnerable shoppers. Does anyone know how to access this service? I can’t find anything on the online grocery website?
Wishing you all safety and sanity flowers

annep1 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:25:40

Ring the contact number and good luck!

Hetty58 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:17:58

Prepare to keep ringing until you manage to get through. The very vulnerable should get a letter from NHS or their GP shortly.

Hetty58 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:19:54

Also (from Sainsbury's email:

'We will receive the government database this week which tells us which people in England the government considers to be most vulnerable. Where these people are already registered with us, we will start to write to them next week to offer them a delivery slot. We are also working hard to secure details for vulnerable people living in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.'

JuliaM Thu 26-Mar-20 10:27:07

I think you will find that unless you have received a letter from the NHS as one of the 1.5 million vulnerable people this will not apply to you. You need to enter your NHS number on a government website to be considered for registration. Even having a valid Blue badge doesn’t guarantee registration, the most they will possibly offer you is a click and collect service.

Atqui Thu 26-Mar-20 13:56:18

Thanks for comments. I couldn’t find a phone number, but maybe that’s just me!!

BBbevan Thu 26-Mar-20 14:40:17

You access it through gov.uk. Good luck. Not available in Wales

suziewoozie Thu 26-Mar-20 15:26:47

Hang on a minute - the Govt sending out a list of the most vulnerable people to a supermarket? Really? Really?

Nonnie Thu 26-Mar-20 16:26:58

I haven't tried but a friend says she put in an order for Tesco to deliver to her in-laws and it was being delivered the next day. Of course it may depend where you live on whether they have availability or not. I think it will get harder now that the shops are restricting access.

Doodle Thu 26-Mar-20 16:59:23

Yes suzie and I for one don’t mind. DH has a serious health problem and we are trying to keep isolated. We don’t want to starve we need food. How else are supermarkets going to know who to deliver to. Just take our word for it? Personally I will do anything to keep him safe and if that means Sainsburys and other supermarkets knowing he’s on the shielded list so be it. They don’t know what’s wrong with him or any other info just that he’s on the list. I am normally totally obsessive about keeping things private but in this instance what else can the government do.

BradfordLass73 Fri 27-Mar-20 00:50:50

I'm in that category as our local supermarket confirms.

It's a good job I don't need anything as there's not one single Priority delivery slot from 7am to 8pm for the next 3 weeks.

And that's from our local, suburban supermarket!

dragonfly46 Fri 27-Mar-20 02:16:23

I got an email from Sainsbury saying they recognised me as vulnerable. I looked on their site today and they had full delivery slots for Saturday and Sunday. I rang a friend who was desperate and when she logged on she could not access them. Not sure how it works!

Atqui Fri 27-Mar-20 09:23:19

I understand that the people notified as particularly vulnerable need the slots , but my e mail said they were releasing slots for ELDERLY and vulnerable . My husband is 85 although I am only 71 with high BP which is even higher amidst all this. Phone line is blocked by BT at the moment

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 27-Mar-20 09:57:24

Atqui
I did too but now you have to log onto Gov.uk
www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable
Have your NI number ready.

I tried it and elderly do not meet the criteria for getting one of the quick slots.

Liz46 Fri 27-Mar-20 10:12:17

Thanks Woodmouse for the reminder. I have just registered. OH has gone to the supermarket with a list. The plan is for him to strip off and put his clothes into the machine when he gets back and then shower.
I hadn't been sure whether or not to register but maybe it might enable us to get a delivery. OH is not too well (nothing to do with the virus).
Keep well everyone.

Wibby Fri 27-Mar-20 10:37:28

Why isnt there any option on the government list for the disabled???

There is no longer a disabled register anymore so I for one would like to know how the government are going to know who has any of the illnesses on their list.

Atqui Sat 28-Mar-20 11:05:10

Thanks for the link Woodmouse
I have high blood pressure , but it doesn’t count. I expect most of the elderly population has by now?

BBbevan Sat 28-Mar-20 21:26:42

There is a new number to ring on the Sainsburys website. For people in Wales. Scotland and N Ireland I think. Took me 10 mins to get through All automated. You need your Nectar card no. And you will be asked your job. Two days wait and you will be registered as vulnerable. Sorry I can't give you the number as it is on the iPad which DH is using.

BBbevan Sat 28-Mar-20 21:28:02

Asked your date of birth. Not job Sorry silly kindle

BradfordLass73 Sat 28-Mar-20 22:07:23

Update: Hahaha I can't even get onto the supermarket's website now!

They've just posted a notice to say NO ONE is able to even order food due to the overwhelming demand.

Where on earth is all this food going?

I should have bought shares in "Foodstuffs Ltd" grin

humptydumpty Sat 28-Mar-20 22:32:48

I got very excited today because I had an email from Ocado to say that today was my chance to have a special slot. After long wait, logged in, did my shopping, went to select a delivery slot and surprise surprise! - none left!!

Razzy Sat 28-Mar-20 23:24:35

There are loads of local groups of volunteers doing shopping for vulnerable and elderly. If you are on facebook try a search. They will leave it on doorstep.

Chestnut Sat 28-Mar-20 23:34:22

Waitrose says they're delivering to elderly and vulnerable but so far it's only vulnerable. Elderly or disabled not included yet, but hoping that will soon change. They do not know my date of birth as have never asked it, whereas it seems Sainsbury
have previously asked for date of birth.

SueH49 Sun 29-Mar-20 04:35:14

I'm in Australia and went online to do a shop at Woolworths. People of 70 and over and others that are vulnerable can register for the Priority Assistance. You do the shop online and when you get to the checkout you are given a list of Dedicated Delivery times. Click the one that suits and sit back and wait.
We will see on Tuesday if it works.

kittylester Sun 29-Mar-20 04:41:12

In case a tone is awake - I've just booked a Tesco Click and Collect!