Gransnet forums

Food

What to use instead of cheese?

(14 Posts)
Trisha57 Sat 28-Mar-20 13:08:29

My husband cannot eat cooked cheese. It's not that he hasn't tried, but it makes him feel seriously sick and has done ever since he was a child. Uncooked cheese is not a problem. With recipes like lasagne, any suggestions for a savoury topping that does not have cheese in it? Plain white sauce seems so bland.

Lucca Sat 28-Mar-20 13:13:16

If you mix an egg into your white sauce first ? For the top bit I mean.

GrannyLaine Sat 28-Mar-20 13:16:25

Add plenty of seasoning and mustard powder to the white sauce then top with breadcrumbs and chopped parsley.

Eglantine21 Sat 28-Mar-20 13:18:32

Crushed chickpeas

Hetty58 Sat 28-Mar-20 13:23:51

I'm vegan so I use Engevita nutritional yeast instead of cheese. It looks like flakes of fish food but has a savoury, cheesy taste. It's best sprinkled on after cooking as high heat can destroy it's vitamins.

CherryCezzy Sat 28-Mar-20 13:30:45

Already some good ideas. Stirring something into the white sauce is a good idea as it can lift the sauce and it doesn't have to be the same ingredient/s each time. Pesto or houmous are some of the additions I have added.

Trisha57 Sat 28-Mar-20 13:49:50

Thank you all! I'll try some of these to ring the changes. It's one of the reasons I've never eaten a take-away pizza, and Italian restaurants are an occasional treat although they are very good at leaving out cheese if requested. I dream of trying a Domino's pizza, believe it or not!!!

GagaJo Sun 29-Mar-20 11:29:25

Mushroom sauce instead of white sauce. I make it for GS on pasta someones. It's yummy.

Baggs Sun 29-Mar-20 11:49:10

Onion sauce. Parsley sauce.

MiniMoon Sun 29-Mar-20 12:20:51

Herby breadcrumbs scattered over the top add a bit of extra texture. If your husband can tolerate grated parmesan cheese, then you could mix a bit of that into the breadcrumbs too.

humptydumpty Sun 29-Mar-20 13:04:40

What about using vegan cheese? Does that upset your H's stomach?

Madgran77 Sun 29-Mar-20 13:09:11

Mustard powder and Engebita yeast flakes added to white sauce has a nice "cheesy" taste

Trisha57 Sun 29-Mar-20 20:54:35

All brilliant ideas, thank you! I think I could sneak in a bit of parmesan as it's not runny and gloopy. I know, from discussing this with him numerous times, that it's the texture that is more of a problem than the actual taste. As I said before, he can eat "raw" cheese -even mature Cheddar but not blue cheese. That is a step too far! He even eats Camembert sometimes but "hot melted" cheese is a no-no! Onion sounds good, and herby breadcrums too. I will be experimenting with all of your suggestions over the coming weeks and will report back! smile

mumofmadboys Sun 29-Mar-20 21:24:46

An egg in the white sauce and some nutmeg