Gransnet forums

Food

Help! Overset marmalade.

(32 Posts)
Sophiasnana Mon 30-Mar-20 18:42:58

I made a batch of my husbands favourite whisky marmalade yesterday, for the first time. It was far too runny, so I cooked it for a while longer. It looked fine, so poured it into jars. A few hours later....its far too set, and really thick and rubbery! What a waste of time and money. Can I rescue it? Any ideas welcome!

Calendargirl Mon 30-Mar-20 18:51:12

Hmm. Can you just dollop it on to your toast in lumps? Not ideal, but should taste all right, and I couldn’t bear to waste it.

I’ve been making Redcurrant jelly, and have the opposite problem, it’s rather runny.

Perhaps it could be mixed in with your whisky marmalade, and start a whole new food trend!

Nonogran Mon 30-Mar-20 18:58:41

Sophiasnanna, don't throw it away. My second batch of this year's marmalade also thickened too much because I reduced the fluid too much. I left it on the heat too long. I'm using it up as best I can because although it's very thick it's so lovely and fruity. Too good to waste. I would also use it in a cake mixture, slightly slackened with a tiny drop of warm water to make Orange cake. A deviation from Lemon Drizzle. Don't let it put you off making marmalade. You'll never want mass produced stuff again!

jusnoneed Mon 30-Mar-20 19:00:10

I wonder if you reheated it gently and added either water or fruit juice it would thin it down. Maybe try one jar?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 30-Mar-20 19:00:54

Call it marmalade cheese and pretend that is what you intended to produce

MiniMoon Mon 30-Mar-20 19:25:25

Mmm, marmalade toffee, lovely. I'd just eat it straight from the jar.?

Sophiasnana Mon 30-Mar-20 21:36:20

Thanks for the advice. Jusnoneed, I did wonder about doing that. I’ll try it tomorrow!

BradfordLass73 Wed 01-Apr-20 01:22:44

www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/top-10-ways-cook-whisky

A recipe on this page may be the answer

JackyB Wed 01-Apr-20 08:05:11

Cut it into cubes and dip them in melted chocolate to make sweets?

Caro57 Wed 01-Apr-20 10:57:32

My parents once made damson jam that needed a chisel! Mum would decant half the jar (as needed) into another jar and mix in boiling water to thin it - seemed to work well. Just add a small amount at a time or it will go to the other extreme.
Good luck

teepee55 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:05:46

I pop the jar in the microwave for a few seconds before use
It makes it runny and easy to spread

janthegranx6 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:08:36

I echo Caro57's advice. Our last batch was too stiff to spread, we decanted some of it into another jar, added a little boiling water and it was fine.

jaylucy Wed 01-Apr-20 11:29:48

Reminds me of the time when a couple of days before my wedding, my friend that was visiting from Holland and I went blackberrying - it was a beautiful September day, every one else was at work.
Got the blackberries home - we only had a small freezer so decided to make jam. It wouldn't set , so my mum's (old ) recipe book said to add cream of tartar, which we did and it finally reached setting point!
Jam cooled, put into jars and it did seem a bit thick.
My friend took a jar back to Holland with her and 6 months later I and my new DH visited her at her home - her mum got this jar of jam out of the fridge and asked if we would like a slice !!
Don't know what happened to the other jars full - they mysteriously disappeared while we were on honeymoon !

polnan Wed 01-Apr-20 11:38:40

love this thread.. you made me giggle
better than all the doom and gloom threads speculating on what life may be .. and whatever.

love home made marmalade

hey pack some in a box and send it to me.. I love whiskey marmalade in chunks! grin

JuliaM Wed 01-Apr-20 11:47:17

Stir a lump of it into a sauce and use it for coating Duck, Chicken or Pork dishes, or make some Chicken Liver pate and add a spoon into that for a great Orange and Whiskey tang, l make this regularly, its so much nicer than the shop bought version which is often very fatty.

Rosyanne Wed 01-Apr-20 12:04:26

My lemon marmalade is just the opposite, it will NOT set, despite boiling it three times. Just a gloopy skin as it cools.?

rowyn Wed 01-Apr-20 12:05:19

Loads of recipes for marmalade cake online; as someone said, just warm it in the microwave before adding. Here's a link to Jamie Oliver's recipe www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/marmalade-cake/

missdeke Wed 01-Apr-20 12:14:53

When I overcooked some jam, I just heated the jars in the microwave so I could get all the jam out, put it all back in the pan with some more water, then I heated it all up again and tried again, it came out perfect. grin

gransruleok Wed 01-Apr-20 12:19:31

I recently made Monty Don’s marmalade pudding which was simple to make and delicious. You could add a squeeze of orange to the marmalade, and/or a teaspoon of whiskey in the bottom of the pudding bowl.

ayse Wed 01-Apr-20 12:21:42

I’ve often thought of using thick marmalade as a baste for duck or chicken I might just try it in these strange times.

Patticake123 Wed 01-Apr-20 12:22:16

I’ve done the same with jam and I put it back into the pan and added some more water, reboiled , tested and repotted. A bit of a faff but it saved waste and the jam was good.

ayse Wed 01-Apr-20 12:23:08

I also put marmalade in a boiled fruit cake instead of peel in the mixed fruit. I only had sultanas but I reduced the sugar at the same time.

Keep happy

Happiyogi Wed 01-Apr-20 12:41:08

Sophiasnan, Eat it as a delicacy with a knife and fork! grin

pce612 Wed 01-Apr-20 12:49:00

Just reheat it with some added water.
Don’t you test a drip on a cold plate to see how it’s setting?

jaybee66 Wed 01-Apr-20 13:17:22

Make pork chops in marmalade sauce (just put in cubes of your marmalade) It is really delicious.