Gransnet forums

Food

Help! Overset marmalade.

(33 Posts)
Sophiasnana Mon 30-Mar-20 18:42:58

I made a batch of my husbands favourite whisky marmalade yesterday, for the first time. It was far too runny, so I cooked it for a while longer. It looked fine, so poured it into jars. A few hours later....its far too set, and really thick and rubbery! What a waste of time and money. Can I rescue it? Any ideas welcome!

sweetcakes Wed 01-Apr-20 14:21:39

Make Jaffa cakes with it or one large Jaffa cake yum.

oodles Wed 01-Apr-20 14:32:39

fruit cheese is a delicacy

Bluecat Wed 01-Apr-20 15:28:20

My DH picked lots of loganberries from a self pick farm, thinking they were raspberries. I made jam and over-thickened it. Still made him eat it, anyway.

glammagran Wed 01-Apr-20 15:45:00

How about scooping it all out and putting it in a pan and reheating and adding orange and lemon juice (assuming you can get any!). Resterlise the jars.

glammagran Wed 01-Apr-20 15:47:12

Bluecat I adore loganberries but haven’t seen any for about 20 years. In my mind I can still taste them. I used to make red currant and loganberry pies during the summer months.

Lilyflower Wed 01-Apr-20 16:55:51

This was a reply on Mumsnet to someone who had overboiled jam:-

" I reboiled one of the jars I'd made earlier and added boiling water to thin it out. Then added the jam to a new sterilised jar. Had a look at it this morning and its a lovely consistency, not thick at all!! "

LadyKathleen Wed 01-Apr-20 19:05:12

@Bradfordlass73 Thank you for the link to so many British recipes using whiskey. So many of them look delicious, particularly the Caramel & whisky sauce. I printed it out and will try it out soon. I've never made my own marmalade, but may try making it as well. smile