Gransnet forums

Food

Recommended a recipe ... inspired by what you have in stock...

(69 Posts)
NotAGran55 Tue 07-Apr-20 16:30:55

500g Bramley Apples ?

Delicious.....it’s a cake ...pudding ... big ... and can be frozen .

Hairy Bikers Spiced Apple Cake

www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/spiced-apple-cake

cathyd Thu 09-Apr-20 11:06:52

Chop suey with brown rice. Heat left over chicken in a little oil, add frozen onions, peppers and mushrooms and stir fry until hot ( normally fifteen minutes) add soy sauce to taste and thicken with cornflower mixed with sherry ( extra sherry can be added to taste) Stock can be added if too much thickener used, but I just add some water as the frozen veg give flavour

knspol Thu 09-Apr-20 11:15:14

MawB make yourself a nice ham and mustard sandwich and eat the custard with a spoon - not a cook as you may have guessed.

geekesse Thu 09-Apr-20 11:16:48

Even as I write, I have a chopped head of celery and half a manky potato sweating in a pan to make celery soup. There’s a tub of sour cream in the fridge and a bake-at-home baguette that needs using up today.

Braganza Thu 09-Apr-20 11:29:38

I had some red lentil dhal left over last night - for lunch today I will add a mug of water, a tsp of bouillon powder, a cubed potato and a small grated carrot. Topped with black pepper and chopped parsley - yum.

GagaJo Thu 09-Apr-20 11:32:48

Ooo Phoenix, puttanesca. Hadn't thought of it. I have 2 tins of anchovies in the cupboard. No capers, but can make do without.

I'm going to make GS a mini sweet potato pie today. No condensed milk so he'll get a dairy free version.

Noname Thu 09-Apr-20 11:41:58

I had made Beef Kofta Curry and there was 1 portion over for the next day so I made some delicious Sag Aloo to go with it and stretch it to two!

mrsgreenfingers56 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:10:00

This is such an easy recipe and excellent for using up mashed potatoes or some jacket pots you have left.

OK, called "Meany Bean Bake" and it's dead easy Ladies!

l. Fry one onion and 2 cloves of garlic and brown.
2. Add tin of baked beans, can of kidney beans and can of sweet corn (or use frozen) Add 2 stock cubes and cook for 10 mins until hot.
3. Put in casserole dish and add on the top left over mash ( I did with jackets last night which had been left and sliced) and some cheese and a couple of toms and grill and hey presto lovely tasty easy meal.

Lupin Thu 09-Apr-20 12:11:26

Corned Beef Hash made thus:
1 large tin corned beef cubed up and put in an oven dish,,Drained contents of 1 tin of Eazy onions on top. 1tbsp ( or more to taste)Worcestershire sauce added, 1 tin of baked beans added, Maybe a little tomato ketchup. salt and pepper to taste. Fork it all together in the tin. Defrost some frozen mashed potato in the microwave and fork it onto the top. Sprinkle some grated cheese on top ( optional) Bake in oven 35 - 40 mins 180 C Fan or until golden. Delish. Some roasted beetroot and thyme goes well, if you have any, - served separately.

deedeeP Thu 09-Apr-20 12:14:35

@Cambia I have a huge chest freezer in the garage. buy things when on offer and put in there. I didnt need to panic buy anything as can feed most of the street if needed. (We have done on several occasions). We dont have eggs though which irritates me as I use wuite a lot of them. Havent been able to get any for over a month now. Cant get to Costo and the farm shop as they are not local so about an hours drive and KI think I may get stopped by police travelling that far. both will probably have trays of eggs.Other than that we are well stocked up, later in the year it will be lots of veg and fruit from the allotment.

justwokeup Thu 09-Apr-20 12:26:22

Like gillybob we followed a Jamie Oliver recipe last night - any leftover greens and pasta sprinkled with parmesan. We thought he'd managed to get his kids to smile while eating it, but no, it's cheap, filling, flexible and delicious too. We used up bits of similar-looking pasta as we're coming to the end of it! www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/quick-green-pasta/. We didn't blitz it quite as much as he did but he said some of his kids won't eat greens!

deedeeP Thu 09-Apr-20 12:27:06

I also make what the family call "Nanny Noodles" quick, easy and very tasty, as follows:

Boil spaghetti or thick noodles in water to al-dente stage then leave in cold water. In a Wok or large saute pan fry off chopped onions, mushrooms and whatever leftover meat you have sometimes i just use diced up smoked bacon. take out of the pan and put into a bowl, then add drained noodles to pan add dark soy sauce to taste (and colour the noodles) add a large glug of Rice wine (or cooking sherry) then I add Thai seven spice and mix all well tossing into the spaghetti. add the veg and meat into the pan then add half a cucumber that has been cut up into battons and a handful or two of cherry tomatoes, toss through and serve. Please note dont cook for too long or spaghetti goes soggy. we sometimes eat this with a grilled pork chop or grilled chicken breast. You can add anything you like into it but I find the above works best.

NotAGran55 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:40:32

Just popped the bananas ? into the freeze ? .
Will report back later

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/quick-banana-ice-cream

NotAGran55 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:42:23

polnan trust me smile you wouldn’t know it is oil .

Riverwalk Thu 09-Apr-20 12:42:55

For lunch I'll be making a variation of this, using up leftover broad beans & peas and the extra eggs I've found myself with!

Broad been frittata

Labaik Thu 09-Apr-20 12:46:42

Can I add some chopped apple to banana bread? I have some that need using up but am scared to ruin my banana bread as I have a limited amount of flour and can't risk ruining it. I do wish I had some celery; so many recipes require celery and it's something I forgot to buy.

Riverwalk Thu 09-Apr-20 13:46:10

And here it is - I used a small piece of red Leicester which was lurking in the freezer instead of feta

f77ms Thu 09-Apr-20 14:58:45

Fry a chopped onion and some chopped up bacon till done add a tin of tomatoes and simmer for 20 mins. Cook your pasta, drain and pour over the sauce. Mix well. Grate cheese pn top and put under the grill till melted.

Bluegrass Thu 09-Apr-20 17:40:35

Usual large helping of steamed veg, two (dry) fried eggs sitting on top of s portion of couscous. Delicious when the yolk flows into the couscous.

TwinLolly Thu 09-Apr-20 20:29:46

If anyone is struggling with recipe ideas, here is something that I found today, available as a download.

www.tinybudgetcooking.com/free-cookbook

There are 2 downloads:
Budget Meals Cookbook and
Meal Plan Cookbook

Enjoy!

?️

NotAGran55 Wed 15-Apr-20 16:34:53

Half a jar of crunchy peanut butter and the kitchen smells amazing.

paddyanne Wed 15-Apr-20 19:22:10

Maw use the ham with mushrooms and garlic in a cream sauce for pasta .I never run out of mushrooms as I keep a grow your own kit under the stairs all the time.We use a lot .mix your custard with some stewed fruit for a fool

Callistemon Wed 15-Apr-20 20:22:26

A stir fry:

Some raw chicken in a bag (left over from another meal) in the freezer plus some frozen ginger ( I don't know why I bought it!). Leftover shredded cabbage which I had frozen, some rather frosted end of packet green beans - discarded the frost. There was more frost than beans.
Half a pepper and some fairly new mushrooms.

I found some dried noodles in the cupboard (why did I buy them when I normally like M&S Singapore noodles?) Sweet chilli sauce.

Delicious.

Witzend Sat 18-Apr-20 12:09:53

Our weekly big veg box delivery is really too much for 2 of us, but I’m determined not to waste any of it.

Yesterday I made a thick puréed soup from a butternut squash (done first in the microwave, they’re such a PITA to peel and chop) and a swede. No actual recipe, just sort of Thai style, with chicken stock, onion, garlic, red chilli and ginger, and some leftover coconut cream that was in the fridge.
Looking forward to some of it for lunch!

Giorgo Wed 22-Apr-20 04:51:01

Try these simple ways on how to cook healthy and weight reducer video shrinkme.io/RxPH

Witzend Fri 24-Apr-20 13:32:52

What we’re having tonight, Thai style egg fried rice, with sundry veggies and a few bits of leftover roast chicken added.
NB to self, must remember to cook the rice early since it needs to be cold.