Gransnet forums

Food

Favourite school food

(148 Posts)
H1954 Wed 06-May-20 07:37:04

I made a salad for lunch yesterday and although I had some rather nice mayonnaise on it I got to thinking about school salads and the delicious salad cream we had! I had loads more favourite school dinners and puddings! Come on GN, do share yours.

jen53 Wed 06-May-20 19:54:14

I still dream about the gorgeous chocolate pudding with chocolate custard. Yummy.

Evie64 Wed 06-May-20 20:08:29

Early 1960's - Pink custard with a thick skin on top and semolina with a blob of jam in the middle, stir it round till it's pink grin. Funny how I don't remember any of the main meals, only the puddings innit? grin I even ate the tapioca pudding(frog spawn)! Brought up by my dad from the age of 6 and bless him, he wasn't a very good cook, but back then, what man was?

LadyGracie Wed 06-May-20 20:09:41

We used to have little doughnuts or other little cakes or biscuits made fresh with hot chocolate at break time.

Lots of salad with ham or corned beef, beef cobbler (I only ate the cobbler) and for desert, my favourite was mousse made with evaporated milk (I loved that, I wish I knew how to make it).

Missiseff Wed 06-May-20 20:17:42

I HATED school dinners so used to go home for lunch, my poor Mum used to have an hour lunch break, pick me up, take me home then back to school again, all by foot. Bless her. I was a right pain.

Evie64 Wed 06-May-20 20:18:37

Oh, just remembered salads with a hard boiled egg and salad cream. Yum grin

Lucy127 Wed 06-May-20 20:31:26

Hi Sparklefizz. Try kitchenmason.com/butterscotch-tart/
It’s apparently the old school recipe with video.

Lucy127 Wed 06-May-20 20:36:09

AND
EVAP MILK MOUSSE
Ingredients
1x 170 g tin of evaporated milk well chilled
1 sachet or block of jelly
Instructions
Melt the jelly with half the amount of water recommended on the packet, allow to cool at room temperature for 30 min.
Using an electric whisk, whisk the evaporated milk until it has tripled in size. While continuing to whisk gradually add the jelly. Whisk for a further 30 seconds then pour into a bowl. Put in the fridge to set.
Notes
Warning: when whisking use a bigger bowl than you think you need as you'll be surprised how much this fluffs up.

Lucy127 Wed 06-May-20 20:39:49

That’s my last one! Promise.

Could not resist.

My favourite was mash with gravy. New potatoes with butter.
Delicious. We had fabulous but simple meals. Even then not keen on meat.

Thanks for cheerful posts. Lovely days.

ja26 Wed 06-May-20 22:10:33

My favourite was cheese and onion pie on Fridays, it was delicious

dirgni Thu 07-May-20 21:42:54

I was at school in 1950’s and I hated school dinners, they were absolutely discussing all the vegetables boiled for what seemed like all morning! I can’t remember the pudding so they can’t have been very inspirational.

lemongrove Thu 07-May-20 22:03:55

School dinners in the 1950’s..... a mixed bag!
However I loved cheese pie ( on a Friday) also the salads with salad cream and a boiled egg.Am not a big meat eater, so can’t remember tasty meals with meat.
I liked all the puddings though, ginger sponge, choc sponge,
And milk puddings ( but not sago! uggh)

GeorgyGirl Sat 09-May-20 13:55:03

Puddings for me: Squares of sponge with jam in the middle and icing on top with custard and also ice cream and hot chocolate sauce - both were delicious.

Kestrel Sat 09-May-20 13:56:52

date crumble and custard - mmmmm

travelsafar Sat 09-May-20 14:01:23

I remember stewed fruit which comprised of figs, prunes and dried apricots served in a syrupy sauce. I loved it many of my fellow pupils groaned when they saw it. smile

Rosina Sat 09-May-20 14:17:39

Reading about a dislike of beetroot, we often had a salad accompaniment that was colourful and refreshing, and the line filed past a small 'dinner lady' at the far end of the food area, waiting for us once the meal had been served. She would grip the edge of your plate firmly, enquiring 'Beetroot?' Why she asked in an enquiring tone I don't know as you got beetroot, whatever your reply. I wonder how many times she uttered that word over the years she worked at the school.

Sgilley Sun 10-May-20 18:09:38

Loved school dinners. A favourite was savoury mince and mash potatoes. For pudding rhubarb crumble and custard. I have since tried to find a recipe that is as good as school’s rhubarb crumble. It was delicious.

BBbevan Sun 10-May-20 18:34:18

I have had school dinners most of my life, being a teacher. When I was at grammar school my favourite was the salad we had on Wednesdays in summer. It came with loads of watercress and a little bread roll. Latterly I remember Manchester tart, gypsy tart and meat pie wth cabbage and mash. I still think 12 noon is lunch time and have been retired for13 years

Kestrel Mon 11-May-20 08:32:47

My mum was in the WRENS and she said they used to have tinned tomatoes on fried bread for breakfast - which they called 'road accident' grin

Gaunt47 Mon 11-May-20 08:42:39

Favourite school food? Absolutely none of it. Infants, Primary, Grammar School - all horrible, and I've put it all out of my mind.
Even worse than my dear mum's cooking, and she knew she wasn't any good in the kitchen! But at least her gravy used to move about grin

BBbevan Mon 11-May-20 09:55:22

I had forgotten about rhubarb crumble and custard. I was a first year at grammar school. One of the older girls, a bit of a bully, shook salt over my crumble. I shouted at her and was given 100 lines by a prefect for shouting in the dining room. The injustice of it. How could I have forgotten ?

Niobe Mon 11-May-20 09:56:49

Did no one ever have cornflake tart! Pastry base spread with raspberry jam sprinkled with corn flakes served with hot custard! Every time I eat Crunchy Nut Cornflakes I tell myself I must try making it with them. Another favourite was the caramel tart and sometimes we had ham salad with beetroot which we loved. Fish and chips were a rare treat too but Friday lunch was a cheese and onion pie as it was cheaper than fish.

annep1 Mon 11-May-20 23:33:49

Yes Niobe and hated it. We had cornflakes at home too. I have never bought them since leaving home.