Gransnet forums

Food

Revolting breakfasts

(86 Posts)
Teetime Thu 28-May-20 10:09:27

I have just watched DH toast a fruited teacake and spread one side with marmite and one with honey. I thought it was bad enough on his avocado squashed up with Worcester sauce days.
Anyone else watching a revolting breakfast?

Teetime Mon 08-Jun-20 09:43:45

Today DH had a squashed avocado on a toasted fruited tea cake Bleughhhhh.

BBbevan Fri 05-Jun-20 05:27:56

My sister often ate cold cawl ( lamb stew) for breakfast, and I knew someone who had fried Christmas cake and bacon . DH just loves fried Spam and egg. I stick to blueberries and yogurt

harryyti Fri 05-Jun-20 04:55:46

I go for some pancakes or a veg salad

Alishka Mon 01-Jun-20 13:22:27

Another avo lover heregrin I have a net of them being delivered with my shopping tonight but I expect they won't be perfectly ripe, so I've also ordered 2 ripe-to-eat ones too...
And cold pizza or leftover curry for breakfast? Nothing wrong there!

grannybuy Sat 30-May-20 00:10:00

My SIL introduced me to orange juice on muesli. I found that ' soggy by orange juice ' was better than ' soggy by milk'. Now I wouldn't have it any other way.

boho43 Fri 29-May-20 22:24:43

I too Patticake123 have marmalade on fried bread with bacon. Delish!

Callistemon Fri 29-May-20 22:13:09

JanT good with a savoury bacon and egg breakfast too!

Lollin Fri 29-May-20 21:54:30

Finally, JanT8 someone who knows how to appreciate avocado! grin

tidyskatemum Fri 29-May-20 21:50:00

DS has always loved cold pizza for breakfast. As for me I cannot STAND eggs in any shape or form - well, they are OK in a cake! - but anything eggy, even the smell, makes me retch. I have never fried an egg in my life and do not intend to start. Give me the breakfast trifle any day!

bridie54 Fri 29-May-20 20:29:31

00mam00 I was surprised to hear of Mongolian breakfast here. My poor son ,who lives in NZ but works in S Mongolia, is locked in there for the foreseeable future. He hates mutton (as do I) and can’t escape it for the time being. The fishy breakfast would turn my stomach. Give me a fruit and cereal start to the day anytime.

Witzend Fri 29-May-20 18:47:02

I often make a curried kedgeree with smoked haddock, not for breakfast, though a Singaporean relative of dh’s once finished the previous evening’s leftovers for breakfast Dead easy and very tasty. I never add hard boiled eggs, though, don’t feel the need. Garnish with lots of chopped parsley, chives, or the green of spring onions.

kentmaid Fri 29-May-20 15:39:29

magshard : I don’t like milk so I use orange juice on my muesli. I prepare it just before I go for my shower. By the time I return, it has turned into a tasty porridge.

Now, it’s only milk which I don't like - all other dairy products are fine from plain yoghurt to clotted cream. I have been known to add a dollop of Greek yoghurt - just to keep my calcium levels up, you understand.

The milk thing may date back to those school milks. I can’t remember drinking milk at home and was forced to drink it at school. Didn’t stay with me long!

kissngate Fri 29-May-20 15:36:53

While we were staying in a hotel in Spain I watched a spanish woman cut two bread rolls in half and scoop out the middle. She then poured olive oil in both of them and dipped the bread back in. Once that was gone she ate the rolls.

NonnaJazz Fri 29-May-20 15:29:52

My current ‘fave’ is almond butter on toast, topped with a mashed banana...utterly yummy....

magshard20 Fri 29-May-20 13:59:47

MiniMoon
My husband's doctor years ago, told him to leave off the Milk from his corn flakes and instead to Orange Juice, it was never tried but the thought still lingers. Urgg
But my late father used to say it doesn't matter about eating foods in any sort of order "because it all goes down the same way and mixes up anyway"!!

GreenGran78 Fri 29-May-20 13:30:15

Framilode I often refuse meals when flying long-haul. They try to adjust to time changes with the meals they serve, but it doesn't always agree with what my 'internal clock' is saying. Having hardly moved a muscle for endless hours, too, results in a lack of appetite. I have been offered some very strange breakfasts on planes, in my time.

My daughter was travelling in South America when, after a very early start on a trek, they stopped for a meal. The only food on offer was guinea pig. She was starving, so she ate it. It tasted rather like chicken, she said.

JanT8 Fri 29-May-20 13:26:10

I sometimes treat myself to a pack of ripe avocados, one per day for two days at breakfast, but eaten just as they are ! Love them.

Patticake123 Fri 29-May-20 12:47:26

I once worked with a woman who would have a thick layer of marmalade on her fried bread and eat it with the bacon and eggs. Used to put me off my meal!

Riverwalk Fri 29-May-20 12:47:08

I love this thread!

Breakfast is my favourite meal and I eat a lovely one every single day - no skimping on time or ingredients!

About 40 years ago on an Aeroflot early morning flight I was served caviar, dry bread & a glass of red wine grin

JackyB Fri 29-May-20 12:11:20

We were backpacking in Sicily and had stayed at a little Pensione in Agrigento. Didn't realise they didn't do breakfast, so we were starving and got the first thing we saw once we'd left them that morning which was a cold slice of pizza from a van outside the railway station.

My DS2 often eats last night's leftovers for breakfast - including pizza.

inishowen Fri 29-May-20 12:02:09

We stayed in a small hotel in Germany. Every morning we asked for scrambled eggs. They were made fresh and had herbs chopped into them. All was fine except the waitress brought one big plate to our table and set it between us. Every morning we said "two plates" and mimed two settings. She never got it and we continued to share from one plate!

00mam00 Fri 29-May-20 12:00:09

First day breakfast at a Ger camp in Mongolia: speciality seaweed soup which was so greasy I couldn’t eat it, then boiled egg and Parmesan cheese on toast which was ok, but the mutton samosas packed with mutton plus potato samosas was just too much. Every meal and almost every course was mutton.

homefarm Fri 29-May-20 11:55:54

I do so agree with you.,My husband cannot understand why I do not like eating slimy stuff. I suppose it's what you're brought up with.

Rumbabba Fri 29-May-20 11:54:07

Are you sure he’s not pregnant! ???

sarahellenwhitney Fri 29-May-20 11:41:42

Breakfast has always been my favourite meal and 'wowed' on many occasions at the fabulous selection put on by hotels/motels when in NY. Best eggs benedict or pancakes with maple syrup I ever tasted if having any room left after visiting the cold buffet.