Gransnet forums

Food

Tiger who Came to Tea birthday cake

(31 Posts)
Bevthecake Sun 31-May-20 09:44:08

I asked my Granddaughter what she she would like for her (2nd) birthday... her answer (one word said loudly) CAKE! ? One of her favourites is Tiger who came to Tea, so this is her cake - sponge baked in orange and black tiger stripes and her and her brother sat at the table ??

lemongrove Sun 31-May-20 10:00:20

That’s really well done Bev in fact, it’s amazing! ?I would like a slice please.
I have made cakes for my grandson since he was a baby, and he always asks for something difficult to do, I manage, but mine are nothing like your cake.

GrannyLaine Sun 31-May-20 10:00:30

How lovely! That's a very good tiger Bevthecake, you are very talented. I bet she loved it.

lemongrove Sun 31-May-20 10:01:34

It’s a great book as well, we still have it on the bookshelves somewhere.

Bevthecake Sun 31-May-20 10:07:08

Awww thank you. I’ve made celebration cakes for 30+ years but there’s nothing like the joy of creating for the grandchildren ?

Callistemon Sun 31-May-20 10:16:10

It's lovely, Bev. Very clever

I like that book, it is/was a favourite with my DGC too.

MadCatWoman1 Sun 31-May-20 11:06:56

Bev Did you MAKE that? If so, you are very skilled! You should think about taking orders and making a business. Seriously, well done smile

MadCatWoman1 Sun 31-May-20 11:07:43

bev just seen that you've been making cakes for 30 odd years. Very clever.

Bevthecake Sun 31-May-20 12:59:41

Thank you @MadCatWoman1 ... I made slot more years ago than I do now (by choice) and running a business is a whole new ball game. I like to chose what I make rather than have deadlines ? win win xx

ninathenana Sun 31-May-20 13:01:42

Excellent !

Maggiemaybe Sun 31-May-20 14:18:48

That’s lovely! smile I make my DGSs’ cakes, and they keep challenging me. Tracey Island was the most complicated request but I couldn’t quite manage Thunderbird 2 launching from a retractable swimming pool......

I really don’t know how people make a profit from baking novelty cakes when they’re so labour intensive. Or perhaps I’m just very slow.

Nortsat Sun 31-May-20 17:06:04

It’s really beautiful. I love the tiger’s expression.

How wonderful to create something so lovely for a beloved grandchild. Congratulations ?

Namsnanny Sun 31-May-20 17:53:30

Lovely, Bevthecake … absolutely lovely! [smiled]

Can I ask is anything supporting the tiger, and is it solid fondant icing?

I really like that you have gone to the trouble of decorating the plates, just like real ones!!

I would give my eye teeth to be given the chance to do something like that for my gc now.

Although I don't know if I have enough patience anymore, but I'm not sure I did years ago, when I used to make novelty cakes for my children's birthday.

Then ready roll icing wasn't available, and I remember having to make the fondant icing with glycerine sugar and food colouring. (Anyone else remember this?)
Well things often became hot, sticky and too difficult to work with.
So a number of times the icing ended up thrown in frustration into the bin!

Once a particularly difficult theme caused me more pressure than I intended, so when my long suffering husband nonchalantly came into the kitchen saying.
'Are you going to be much longer?' followed by 'What on earth that's supposed to be?!'
I confess I lost it, and I launched it in his direction! angry shockblush
He ducked luckily, and very graciously helped me get the red stains out of the paintwork!!grin

None were as intricate as yours though!

PamelaJ1 Sun 31-May-20 17:56:16

Wow.?

Susan56 Sun 31-May-20 19:58:21

What a beautiful cake.Lucky little granddaughter???

Bevthecake Sun 31-May-20 21:58:19

@Namsnanny you made me laugh out loud, the times I’ve felt like launching something across the room too smile. The tiger is made of Rice Krispies and marshmallows moulded and covered in sugar paste. I did supported him with a lollipop stick as he had to travel. The krispie mix makes a lighter model than a solid lump of paste, I use it a lot.
Have a go and make sure hubby has a hard hat on this time grin grin xx

Bevthecake Sun 31-May-20 22:05:21

Maggiemaybe I made a Thunderbird2 Cake years ago when it was on TV first time round! It was quite tricky as I remember. I don’t think we ever make money from cake decorating and would definitely work at less than the minimum wage. X

Maggiemaybe Sun 31-May-20 22:46:45

I’m sure you must have, Bevthecake! Thank you so much for the insider knowledge re modelling with Rice Krispies and marshmallows. I’m really looking forward to trying that!

The week before lockdown I had a go at a Luigi’s Mansion cake for DGS3’s fifth birthday party. I had to hover by the buffet table so I could keep propping my wilting fondant icing Luigi and Guigi back up against the cake. grin

crazyH Sun 31-May-20 22:51:06

How very clever !!!!'

mumofmadboys Mon 01-Jun-20 07:44:29

No wonder you are called Bevthecake. The cake is outstanding! Well done. Shame to eat it.

downtoearth Mon 01-Jun-20 09:03:52

Amazing

JackyB Mon 01-Jun-20 09:37:40

A real chocolate teapot!

Witzend Tue 02-Jun-20 18:58:24

What a fantastic cake! How could you bear to cut it? So professional looking, congratulations!

Aeons ago I made a fairy castle cake for a dd’s 4th birthday - recipe was in a magazine. Turrets were baked in soup tins! Turned out very well but I really didn’t want anyone cutting into my work of - well, not exactly art, but painstaking fiddle!

Chewbacca Tue 02-Jun-20 19:21:29

That's a magnificent cake Bev, and if it tastes as good as it looks, it will be delicious.

Bevthecake Tue 02-Jun-20 20:54:48

MaggieMaybe you are so funny.. I’ve loitered a few times in my life to prop or rescue a cake grin