Gransnet forums

Food

Fairly easy, tasty recipes for a crowd - inspiration please!

(28 Posts)
Witzend Thu 09-Jul-20 10:57:14

Towards the end of the month we’re going to a BiL’s place in France. It’s very large, there are often a lot of people staying (not so sure this time) and we take turns to cook the evening meal. In the past I’ve cooked for 18 and 22 is not unknown.

I have a ‘curry in a hurry’ recipe I’ve often made, works very well and not too much faff - should add that dh has never really cooked and is hopeless for suggestions - if I ever ask he’ll usually say ‘shepherd’s pie’. !

There has often been an element of what I can only describe as ‘competitive cookery’ - some people taking all day over an impressive meal. I’m nearly always single handed (though dh will harvest and cut up rhubarb for a crumble!) and I’m not bothered about ‘impressive’ as long as everybody enjoys it, but I really don’t want to spend most of the day in the kitchen.

Another thing I’ve done for a crowd when there were children as well as adults, is a big pasta bake with a homemade tomato/veggie sauce, lots of cheese on top and finished in the oven, plus lots of garlic bread.

I’ve sometimes taken necessary ingredients, e.g. fresh ginger/coriander and a particular sauce for the curry - neither often available in the local supermarket - but once forgot to label the sauce PLEASE DO NOT USE! - so when I came to make my curry it was half gone. Won’t make that mistake again!
Any suggestions to make a change from the usual gratefully received.
Should add that there’s often a lot of fruit that needs to be used, plus rhubarb in the garden, so crumbles are often the order of the day for pud, though I’ve also made a couple of king-sized clafoutis when cherries were in season.

NotSpaghetti Wed 22-Jul-20 10:55:23

Callistemon- www.tasteofhome.com/collection/frozen-spinach-recipes/

Callistemon Wed 22-Jul-20 11:37:16

Oh, thank you!

I've just realised that I've become very set in my ways, cooking the same old things!