Gransnet forums

Food

Home made bread - how to store?

(59 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Sun 12-Jul-20 21:21:19

I bought myself a breadmaker as my birthday present to myself, and I've made the first loaf. It smells fab and I can't wait to try it.

But what do you store home-made bread in? I've just wrapped it in a clean tea towel at the moment, but I'm sure there's a better way smile

Craftycat Mon 13-Jul-20 10:20:05

Never used a breadmaker but do make a lot of bread. I bought a bread bag which is material with a plastic liner - I think it was from Lakeland.
It keeps the loaf fresh beautifully & wasn't expensive

Sussexborn Mon 13-Jul-20 10:30:50

We’ve been making our own bread for quite a few years now since a programme with Shouty Wallace showed how many extras were added to mass produced bread.

Made a real difference to OH’s rhinitis. Usually a mix of whole meal and white flour. We keep it in the fridge especially in the summer.

Riggie Mon 13-Jul-20 10:44:52

Surely the words "store" and "home made bread" do not go in the same sentence?!!

jaylucy Mon 13-Jul-20 10:48:44

Whatever you do, don't wrap it in plastic and store in a metal bread bin !
I made the mistake of buying one because I like the look of it - after 2 days, this time of year, the bread goes mouldy!
I usually have bakery bread from the supermarket - I take it out of the plastic wrapping and put it in an old paper bag (from the bakery bit in Tescos) and put it in the fridge!

barbaraellen Mon 13-Jul-20 10:52:31

I make a loaf and rolls. The rolls are put in a freezer bag and then frozen. The loaf is wrapped in a clean teatowel. They defrost easily in the microwave and taste like freshly baked.
I sourced fresh yeast at a village bakers. Try Tesco they stopped fresh yeast at lockdown but it may be available again now. Dried yeast is also available again in some supermarkets.

Patticake123 Mon 13-Jul-20 11:02:33

I make two sourdough loaves each week - it is very moorish. I cover it with a t- towel as it comes out of the oven, otherwise it forms a hard crust, once cooled I wrap one in cling film and freeze it, the other I keep in the bread bin. It doesn’t last as long as shop bought because a) it isn’t full of preservatives and b) because it is so delicious!

H1954 Mon 13-Jul-20 11:13:52

We bought a bread crock from Ar**s, and it works perfectly fine. Do ensure to clear out the inevitable crumbs that will you accumulate in the bottom though as I've spotted some going mouldy in the past. Wrapping in a clean tea towel is ideal though but never use a plastic bag, your lovely loaf will go mouldy very quickly.

lindiann Mon 13-Jul-20 11:39:44

Found this recipe Homepride web site if you can't get yeast have not tried it yet
INGREDIENTS
375g Homepride Superior Sponge Flour or Self Raising Flour
45g Caster Sugar
1 tsp Salt
330ml Bottle of Pale Beer/Ale
45g Melted Butter
PRINT THIS RECIPE
METHOD
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/160 degrees C fan
2. Grease a 2lb loaf tin
3. In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, salt, beer and half of the melted
butter and whisk
thoroughly to combine
4. Pour the mix into the loaf tin
BEER BREAD
HOME > OUR RECIPES > BEER BREAD
5. Drizzle the remaining melted butter over the top of the uncooked
dough
6. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 50 minutes or until
golden and an inserted
skewer/tooth pick comes out clean
7. Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for
5 minutes
8. Remove the cooked loaf from the tin and allow to cool on a wire
rack

KnittyNannie Mon 13-Jul-20 12:08:17

I’ve made my own bread for years, and am currently baking bread every other day because we are all at home. Presently, I’m making sourdough, which is SO much nicer than bread made with bought yeast. I, too, slice And freeze it.

LeeN137 Mon 13-Jul-20 12:13:05

I wrap mine in clingfilm, and put it in the fridge - it's perfectly fine for the (at most) 3 days I need it to last for. If you need it to last any longer, I'd advise the freezer, as others have said.

annodomini Mon 13-Jul-20 12:26:48

I am on my own, so I make two loaves and put one in the freezer. The other one keeps well in the fridge, wrapped in clingfilm or foil.

railman Mon 13-Jul-20 12:43:02

Try the "Hairy Bikers" Focaccia bread recipe - absolutely fantastic - that's what the Romans did for us!! smile

Thecatshatontgemat Mon 13-Jul-20 12:54:53

The best way to store warm Just-out-of-the-oven bread is to slather it in butter, open mouth, and insert into face!
If there is any left over after that, then let it go cold, slice with a sharp knife, and place it into a clean bread bag from the supermarket sliced loaf that you will have saved for that very purpose.
Then pop it in the freezer, and remove whatever amount you need at whatever time you need it.
Sorted!

Bijou Mon 13-Jul-20 12:55:01

I have made bread for I don’t know how long . Used to win prizes at WI for it. When I found it difficult to stand I got a small bread maker. As I didn’t like the shape from the maker I now use it to make dough and cook two small loaves in my mini oven. Freeze one. I also make a fruit loaf because I don’t eat cake. Got some yeast from Amazon.

Rosiebee Mon 13-Jul-20 13:21:30

Can I ask what a "stone bread pancheon" is???????

GreenGran78 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:08:14

With a family of five children, I used to spend a lot on bread. I decided that it would be much cheaper to make my own. Unfortunately this more or less resulted in a queue down the hall, waiting for it to come out of the oven. They were eating more, and thicker, slices of home-made bread, resulting also in a bigger consumption of butter and various toppings.
My waistline was also suffering!
I reverted, amid many complaints, to shop-bought.
The ravening horde has long since left home, and I now make myself a loaf occasionally. I slice it and freeze it in small batches, to stop me eating too much.
It’s amazing how much the price of bread has increased in the last year or two, isn’t it.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:18:32

I haven't the strength in my thumbs to kneed so a few years ago I started to buy bread mixes. My favourite is Wright's Cheddar & Sun Dried Tomato Bread Mix.

I slice and freeze it as I do the sour dough bread I buy every week.

I might invest in a bread machine one day.

Someone mentioned still not getting yeast. My daughter in North West has only just started to find it in the supermarket again. I posted to packets to her a month ago.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:29:08

I put half the dough in the freezer when it is ready to bake and bake the other half, as that suits our needs.

Loaves when cold go into a thin plastic bag, or cotton bag and into our bread tin, which is actually a basket.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:30:32

I am surprised how many of you keep bread in the fridge.

I find it goes stale quicker in the fridge than in a bread tin.

Daisymae Mon 13-Jul-20 15:33:44

I bought a clear plastic container from Amazon. Comes with a slice guide and adjusts with the size of the loaf. It's brilliant.

Sgilley Mon 13-Jul-20 16:41:43

We do like merlotgran. Slice the whole loaf and freeze in packs of enough slices to make us both a sandwich. Or in couples. Enjoy

Fennel Mon 13-Jul-20 16:48:51

Woodmouse - I had to give up handkneading too because of arthritis in my hands. We bought a Kenwood mixer with a kneading hook and that copes with up to 1kg flour and makes 3 decent sized loaves. After rising bake as normal in the oven.
Never tried a bread machine because making just one loaf seems a waste of time.
I store extra loaves in plastic bags in the freezer.

Ellianne Mon 13-Jul-20 16:56:19

What a lovely story about your 5 ravenous children GreenGran78.
I can't remember who told me, but when the crust is going hard you can splash it with a bit of water and put the bread in the oven to recrispen for a few minutes.

Granless Mon 13-Jul-20 17:35:30

Can somebody please recommend a bread maker?
I especially love sourdough bread.

hilarious Mon 13-Jul-20 19:07:08

My local Morrison's has fresh yeast in packs of four - foil wrapped & freezable.