Gransnet forums

Food

Home made bread - how to store?

(59 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Sun 12-Jul-20 21:21:19

I bought myself a breadmaker as my birthday present to myself, and I've made the first loaf. It smells fab and I can't wait to try it.

But what do you store home-made bread in? I've just wrapped it in a clean tea towel at the moment, but I'm sure there's a better way smile

Ramblingrose22 Mon 13-Jul-20 20:30:41

Thanks to those who have replied suggesting places to get fresh yeast.

I probably should have explained in my previous post that I am shielding and have to rely on supermarket deliveries. I can't walk into a supermarket to see what's on the shelves.

Unfortunately Morrisons is not one of the supermarkets who deliver to us. I hope supplies of yeast improve as fewer people use supermarket deliveries and more are out and about because of going back to work.

Purpledaffodil Mon 13-Jul-20 21:32:28

Granless I thoroughly recommend the Panasonic bread maker with a raisin option which means it will drop nuts etc into the dough at the right moment! I prefer it because ingredients are weighed rather than measured in cups and I have never had a failed loaf?

Purpledaffodil Mon 13-Jul-20 21:36:56

HurdyGurdy I often make rolls using the dough option rather than a loaf as it’s easier to get a couple out of the freezer for lunch- I also make the occasional loaf for toast and freeze that trying to fan the slices so they don’t freeze together

Happiyogi Mon 13-Jul-20 21:44:28

I'm another recent convert to Fermipan yeast. I found it online, with many very enthusiastic reviews, and now it's cheaper than when I bought it several months ago! It comes in a red vacuum packed block and mine has a very long use by date.

Granless Tue 14-Jul-20 20:20:31

Thank you Purpledaffodil for your recommendation. I’ll look into it.

JackyB Wed 15-Jul-20 09:14:35

Here in Germany people usually use fresh yeast. And they use it a lot for cakes more than bread.

I was talking to someone the other day and she told me how you do it. I had said I thought you could freeze it but wasn't sure how to go from there.

She said to unwrap it (the standard size is a 1" cube, 42g) while frozen and put it in a cup. It goes liquid when it defrosts and she first made the mistake of putting it loose on the draining board, where it just drained away!

You can then stir in a little of your warm milk or water and add it to the rest of the mixture. You only have to take it out of the freezer about 30-40 mins before you need it.

Yeast only went off the shelves for a very short time here. Dried yeast took a little longer to come back, but I noticed the fresh yeast (usually somewhere near the butter) very soon. Not sure if it even disappeared at all, actually.

HurdyGurdy Thu 30-Jul-20 22:16:27

I am so sorry. I had completely forgotten that I had posted this question.

Thank you all for your replies, I have bought a bamboo cutting guide which is making life much easier and I am not getting the wedge shaped slices that I used to have, so as I am able to cut even slices, I will freeze some already sliced.

Although - so far, there's not been anything left after a day or so! I'm sure the novelty will wear off sooner or later, but I am so pleased I bought the breadmaker smile

Arsenalpe Mon 03-Aug-20 07:11:24

I like bread, my daily breakfast is bread only. Now due to COVID 19, I cant but it outside. This forum makes me happy to prepare my favorite item of bread. Thank you. I definitely try this at home. keep posting