Gransnet forums

Food

cooking smoked haddock.

(34 Posts)
Fennel Tue 04-Aug-20 11:33:34

We both like smoked haddock, but I don't like the smell when it's cooked. It seems to stink out the whole house for days.
I usually cook it in the microwave covered with clingfilm for a few minutes.
Is there any other way to cook it with less smell?

Cabbie21 Tue 04-Aug-20 23:25:34

I cook it in the microwave in a Pyrex dish with a lid, not cling film. There is not too much smell In the kitchen. You can always dissipate the smell in the microwave by heating a cut lemon in it.

Floradora9 Wed 05-Aug-20 20:57:54

I buy bags from Amazon to cook my fish in totally enclosed. Dunelm sells then as well .

lizmaxwell Sun 23-Aug-20 20:30:45

Rather an extreme method! Buy and install an old fashioned solid fuel Rayburn. Great for cooking smelly things as the smell goes up the chimney. I really miss mine for that as my husband loves kippers and boy do they smell.
If you have a garden shed or a garage buy one of the small camping stoves that run on the little gas canisters and cook them out there or in nice weather do them outside. These little stoves are really cheap and about the size of a small briefcase.

Esspee Sun 23-Aug-20 20:45:34

You are probably all aware but for any who aren’t be sure to wash fishy plates and serving dishes etc. in cold water and detergent as a hot wash sets the smell.

NotTooOld Sun 23-Aug-20 21:41:37

Callistemon - grin

MiniMoon Sun 23-Aug-20 22:27:08

I usually poach it in milk.

If I'm making a fish pie I use the milk to make to make the sauce.

We went to Craster on Tuesday and bought some kippers from the smokehouse.
I jugged them, and we had them for lunch with salad and new potatoes.
I made kipper patè with the left over kippers (DH still shops for 4), and we ate it for supper the next day.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 24-Aug-20 12:26:47

Pour some vinegar into a shallow bowl or a saucer and stand it near the cooker.

Vinegar absorbs all sorts of smells.

JuliaM Mon 24-Aug-20 13:18:41

Haddock of any kind does tend to have its own body odour, no matter how you choose to cook it! We have noticed this a few times with the lingering smell left from Haddock bought from a Fish and Chip shop, where as Cod tends to be less of a problem. We both enjoy smoked fish too, but tend to buy Smoked Cod rather than Haddock for this very reason.