Gransnet forums

Food

Best milk to use in a yoghurt maker ?

(15 Posts)
NotAGran55 Fri 28-Aug-20 09:44:23

I am going to buy a yoghurt maker and wondered what milk was the best to use for thick yoghurt?

Gold Top , full fat , skimmed , UHT ?
Any help, hints or tips will be greatly received.

geekesse Fri 28-Aug-20 09:57:14

Fat content isn’t an issue, but UHT doesn’t work as well. My preference is full fat. Whichever you use, add a scoop of skimmed milk powder.

Callistemon Fri 28-Aug-20 09:59:41

I agree.
Adding some skimmed milk powder makes a thicker yogurt.

NotAGran55 Fri 28-Aug-20 10:25:44

Thank you both . Would that be a tablespoon per litre ish ?

geekesse Fri 28-Aug-20 13:09:23

Hmmm....I don’t measure accurately - there’s no need to be very precise. I use a good heaped tablespoon to two pints of milk if you’re measuring, that would probably be two tablespoons per litre. The more you use, the thicker the yoghurt.

You can get yoghurt starter powder, but you can get a more individual taste if you choose a commercially produced active plain yoghurt that you like, and use that as a starter. I like Longley Farm - it has a nice tang - so I made my first batch using that.

NotAGran55 Fri 28-Aug-20 13:13:48

Thank you geekesse for your help.

Machine purchased this morning and just off shortly to buy the milk .
I’m going to try organic full fat with Yeo Valley as the starter

Looking forward to it!

Furret Fri 28-Aug-20 13:17:41

Full fat I agree. I make it in a slow cooker.

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 28-Aug-20 13:23:30

Enjoy?. I bought one recently. First few times used fresh full fat milk and the same yoghurt as you. I drain mine overnight so it turns into greek yoghurt.,very yummy. I have used full fat UHT milk with yoghurt and couldnt tell the difference. With my machine it takes different times with different milks. I also have purchased some little starter sachets for when cant get to shops but havent tried yet. I certainly dont regret buying a yoghurt maker?

geekesse Fri 28-Aug-20 14:07:18

I use good quality jam to flavour mine - Tiptree Little Scarlet makes the loveliest strawberry yoghurt, and Roses lime marmalade produces a really nice breakfast yoghurt. Any fresh fruit in season works as well if you like it less sweet, and crushed tinned mandarins were a favourite when my kids were small.

SueDonim Fri 28-Aug-20 14:39:17

I use UHT full-fat milk and a couple of spoonfuls from a small pot of Yeo live yogurt. I often strain the result through muslin to get a thicker yogurt. I once forgot about it and ended up with something akin to Philly cheese! grin

I prefer UHT milk as it doesn’t need to be scalded first.

NotAGran55 Fri 28-Aug-20 22:01:46

All ready to make the first lot in the morning. Tried 2 shops but couldn’t find any powdered milk unfortunately.

Thanks for all your replies.

Callistemon Fri 28-Aug-20 22:23:36

I gave away my yogurt maker years ago but now would like to start making it again.
Do you leave it overnight in the slow cooker on low?

Phillip9872 Thu 01-Oct-20 11:44:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Bathsheba Thu 01-Oct-20 11:47:12

Reported

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Oct-20 00:30:36

Oh dear, it's obviously my bed time... I read this as breast milk to use in a yogurt maker...