Gransnet forums

Food

cod and haddock fillets

(27 Posts)
Fennel Tue 01-Sep-20 16:19:23

Husband likes white fish but I find them dry and tasteless unless battered and fried.
How do you cook them?

EllanVannin Tue 01-Sep-20 16:21:32

I fry them gently in butter. My favourite being sole.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 01-Sep-20 16:22:14

You can use them in pies and pasta and stews. We eat fish about every third day and all types. Google recipes there are loads.

craftyone Tue 01-Sep-20 16:29:45

little bit of pesto on top and baked. Can add breadcrumbs to the pesto

annsixty Tue 01-Sep-20 16:35:54

Put them on a baking tray lined with foil.
Cover them in a coating of melted butter mixed with fresh chopped parsley and fine breadcrumbs.
Bake in oven for “not long” depending on the thickness of the fillets.
This is from the sainted Delia but she uses plaice which is not a favourite of mine and she cooks it on too high a temp according to the photographs.
It is not dry and delicious.

annsixty Tue 01-Sep-20 16:36:37

Similar crafty

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Sep-20 16:59:36

Make individual parcels from foil or baking parchment, place fish inside with fresh ginger, spring onions, fresh chilli is optional add a dash of white wine (can substitute for lemon juice) and a knob of butter. Bake at 180 for 10 - 15 minutes according to thickness/size of fish........yummy

Riverwalk Tue 01-Sep-20 17:07:17

I like loin of cod - it's thick enough to take robust flavours, and I have a big appetite!

Something along the lines of this Nigel Slater recipe: Baked cod

Or Cod Provencal - Delia has a good recipe

geekesse Tue 01-Sep-20 17:41:30

I took a tip out of Jamie Oliver’s book. I use frozen pieces of cod and rub whatever marinade or flavouring I’m using all over. Leave for an hour. It won’t be fully defrosted by then, but you can just oil a skillet and fry the fish for around 3-5 mins a side depending on how thick it is. Alternatively, fry on one side, turn it over and then put it into a hot oven for 5-6 mins. It will be cooked through but still moist. JO uses a curry paste and lemon juice run, but I’ve done it with Mexican spices and chilli, and also with Chinese spices and soy sauce.

MiniMoon Tue 01-Sep-20 19:12:41

Pan fry in butter. When ready to plate up, remove fish from the frying pan and add more butter to it along with a tablespoon of chopped capers. Fry until the butter is just beginning to brown. Pour over the fish and enjoy.

Fennel Tue 01-Sep-20 19:18:22

Yes, so I think frying is the best way to retain some flavour.
I've always thought that when you defrost fish most of the flavour drains out with the fluid.
Different from oily fish like salmon, herring, mackerel etc.
But sea bass, a white fish, keeps some flavour when de-frosted.

Beauregard Tue 01-Sep-20 20:53:12

Any tips to stop the kitchen reeking of fish for days afterwards? DH likes white fish but I'm reluctant to cook it because of this.

CanadianGran Tue 01-Sep-20 20:57:46

I bread and season, then pan fry in a mix of vegetable oil and butter. The butter helps to brown them.

The trick is not to overcook. Fish cooks quickly, and will keep cooking for a few minutes afterwards. Try to cut your cooking time a bit.

Beauregard, do you have a fan in your kitchen? Fish should not smell the kitchen, especially if it is fresh, or fresh/frozen.

craftyone Tue 01-Sep-20 20:58:16

I never fry fish because of the scent, it always goes in the oven wrapped in foil with herbs or pesto. I love fried fish but hate the smell which lingers. My sister cooks hers outside the house grin

PinkCakes Tue 01-Sep-20 21:03:36

White fish is nice in a curry.

Floradora9 Tue 01-Sep-20 21:45:55

I use these " cook a fish " in the oven I top salmon with either chopped bacon or sweet chilli sauce . You can do any fish in them .

JackyB Wed 02-Sep-20 07:04:46

The secret is to seal the fish in well, either in breadcrumbs, a pie crust, or just foil. The most delicious piece of fish I ever cooked was some plaice in a microwave bag with a sprinkling of vegetable stock powder, well sealed and microwaved for the exact amount of time recommended. I don't know how I did it, but I've never been able to reproduce it. Sealing it in also reduces the smell.

I don't find lingering smells a problem as long as all pans and plates are washed or stacked in the dishwasher immediately, and of course if you cook in foil or a disposable bag, you can wrap it in newspaper and put it straight outside in the dustbin.

kittylester Wed 02-Sep-20 07:54:37

Chef's candles really help with the smell - especially if you remember to light them before you start.blush

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 08:04:09

Tomorrow we are having Fish Chowder, with fresh and smoked haddock.
Sunday - fish pie with an assortment of fish.
Wednesday - plaice in grape sauce.

Today’s breakfast is kippers which I love. I’m very fond of oily fish like mackerel and salmon.

Hetty58 Wed 02-Sep-20 08:16:03

Fish is 'dry and tasteless' if overcooked and dehydrated. My daughter likes haddock spread with a mixture of mayonnaise and mustard, quickly grilled.

Judy54 Wed 02-Sep-20 15:53:44

I agree white fish with pesto is delicious. Here are a couple of other ideas Fennel

White fish with chopped chorizo and tomatoes

or

wrapped in bacon and cooked in lemon juice.

Enjoy!

Witzend Sat 05-Sep-20 10:32:54

One way of mine is to poach very gently in milk until just done (just a few minutes), drain very well, keep warm, and make a cheese sauce with the milk, to cover them with. Delish. A few small prawns added to the sauce are a bonus!

I also make a curried kedgeree with haddock - simple and very tasty - a chowder with any white fish, and of course fish pie.

Callistemon Sat 05-Sep-20 10:40:36

Witzend I was going to suggest poaching gently in milk perhaps with herbs too but it seemed rather ordinary after reading all the exotic recipes above!
The milk is then used to make a sauce of choice, cheese, parsley, prawns, add white wine etc.

Callistemon Sat 05-Sep-20 10:41:19

A few squeezes of lime make a good alternative to lemon.

Georgesgran Sat 05-Sep-20 10:43:06

I found a recipe from Waitrose - with fennel and leek. White wine and cream form a sauce and the fish’s poached in it for 5 minutes, once the vegetables are soft. I also add peas and prawns, for a one pan meal. My mouth’s watering thinking about it!