Gransnet forums

Food

The annual ginormous lemon meringue pie.

(21 Posts)
Witzend Thu 08-Oct-20 12:00:39

Shall be making one for dh’s birthday at the weekend - it’s his favourite - but have just realised that I haven’t made one since his last birthday, though we rarely have puddings anyway, unless guests are coming.

Admittedly it’s a fairly major faff, making it from scratch - pastry plus 3 x an old GH recipe, 6 eggs, 3 lemons - it goes in a mega 12 inch flan dish so even with some of the family coming to help eat it, it should last him another couple of days.

Does anyone else have an annual treat dish?

Greyduster Thu 08-Oct-20 12:08:59

Pots au chocolat are a rare treat in this house. Not as demanding as a lemon meringue, but they can easily go wrong (in my hands anyway!). When I was at school I had a friend whose mother used to make proper lemon meringue pie. The first time I was offered some I thought I had died and gone to heaven! The nearest we came to an exotic pudding in our house was tinned pineapple slices with tinned cream! When I described it to my mother and suggested that she might try it, she muttered something about fancy foreign rubbishconfused and that was the end of that!

Grannynannywanny Thu 08-Oct-20 12:18:38

Witzend my mouth is watering at the thought of your lemon meringue pie ?

Fennel Thu 08-Oct-20 12:31:32

Funny, I was just thinking this morning about lemon meringue pie, could I be bothered to make one for the weekend? I've got all the ingredients.
I find the pastry the biggest problem, I'm no good at pastry.
Wishing your husband many happy returns Witzend.
The only annual treats I can think of are 2 dishes traditional for Jewish New Year - honey cake, and a Hungarian dish of cabbage leaves, or peppers, stuffed with minced meat or chicken and baked in a spicey sauce. Holishkes.

Witzend Thu 08-Oct-20 12:55:55

Thank you, Fennel!
Have you tried readymade pastry, e.g. JusRol?

Mine usually turns out all right but then that’s down to my trusty old Kenwood Chef doing the rubbing in. Not sure how it’d turn out with my fingertips.

Alishka Thu 08-Oct-20 13:31:25

Hi Fennel , I've just been looking at Holishkes recipes. Thank you!
Love braised fennel too, btw smile

EllanVannin Thu 08-Oct-20 13:38:12

Sounds like my mum's used to be. " Desperate Dan " type pies and Cornish pasties like Dinosaurs. Yet none of us were overweight---apart from mum herself but she just overate! grin

kittylester Thu 08-Oct-20 13:39:26

Oooohh, greyduster. I haven't made Pots au Chocolate for ages. It was my go to pud - made with melted marshmallows.

My mum made a mean lemon meringue!!

Greyduster Thu 08-Oct-20 13:56:30

kitty I would be interested in knowing how melted marshmallow works - it sounds lovely!

TheFrugalPiggy Thu 08-Oct-20 14:00:40

Lemon meringue pie has always been my favourite dessert, but I seldom make it as it's just me and DH these days and we try to "be good".

Gwyneth Thu 08-Oct-20 14:01:03

Lemon meringue pie my absolute favourite. My mouth is watering ?

kittylester Thu 08-Oct-20 15:48:28

I haven't made it for years gd - it was in the dark ages when the world was still in black and white.

Marshmallows, chocolate, butter and possibly egg yolks were melted over a pan of hot water and then beaten egg whites added - possibly!

It was a recipe from a card subscription type thing in the 70s I think.

If anyone can add more information,
I'd love to do them again.

kittylester Thu 08-Oct-20 18:00:08

This is very similar gd.

www.chocolate-source.co.uk/chocolate_recipes_mousse_pots_au_chocolate.htm

Greyduster Thu 08-Oct-20 18:35:04

Thank you, Kitty. I may have a go at that this weekend when the gannets come to lunch!

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-20 19:03:20

Ours annual treat at Christmas is Mars Bar Mousse. I got the recipe from the Sunday times,over thirty years ago.
I serve it with langue de chat biscuits. (Home made of course!) ?

Chewbacca Thu 08-Oct-20 20:07:42

The pot au chocolate made with marshmallows is simply devine! I used the Delia Smith recipe and can vouch for how simple and easy it is to do. Very light, rather like a mousse, but very rich.

kittylester Thu 08-Oct-20 20:13:07

I think mine predates Delia chewbacca but I will investigate that one.

kittylester Thu 08-Oct-20 20:15:16

Just googled that and it didn't come up chewbacca - have you got a link? Xx

Chewbacca Thu 08-Oct-20 20:21:01

Sorry kittylester, it wasn't Delia at all, it was Nigella's recipe. blush

INGREDIENTS
Serves: 4-6

METRICCUPS
150 grams mini marshmallows
50 grams soft butter
250 grams good dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids) chopped into small pieces
60 millilitres hot water (from a recently boiled kettle)
284 millilitres double cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
METHOD
Put the marshmallows, butter, chocolate and water in a heavy-based saucepan.
Put the saucepan on the hob, over heat, though keep it fairly gentle, to melt the contents, stirring every now and again. Remove from the heat.
Meanwhile, whip the cream with the vanilla extract until thick, and then fold into the cooling chocolate mixture until you have a smooth, cohesive mixture.
Pour or scrape into 4 glasses or ramekins, about 175ml / ¾ cup each in capacity, or 6 smaller (125ml / ½ cup) ones, and chill until you want to eat.

Puzzler61 Thu 08-Oct-20 20:26:27

Mmm Witzend lemon meringue pie. What a labour of love for your lucky DH?
We had lemon meringue pie as a dessert at our wedding in the 1970’s ?

kittylester Thu 08-Oct-20 20:45:04

Thank you chewbacca. No eggs in that one.

I'll give that a try.