Gransnet forums

Food

Easy christmas cake

(87 Posts)
Sophiasnana Fri 16-Oct-20 21:46:53

At age 61, I love cooking,but have never, ever attempted a christmas cake. Every recipe seems to need about a hundred ingredients, inc peel which I hate! Anyone have a really tasty, easy recipe?

hollysteers Sun 18-Oct-20 18:32:22

The boiled fruit cake mentioned earlier really is the easiest, just throw everything in a pan and simmer, it’s so moist and my mother handed down the recipe to me. I would have to rummage about in my top kitchen cupboard as I don’t bother now but will if asked.
M & S suits me now.

HAZBEEN Sun 18-Oct-20 18:34:23

I have always used the Bero book recipe but must admit to varying it slightly over time! I miss out the peel and add more fruit and of course brandy fed to it every few weeks although it doesnt say to do it. My Grandmother used to make the cakes for everyone in the family until I took over aged about 10! She taught me to bake when I was only able to reach the table by standing on a stool. My Mother couldnt bake to save her life, you could knock nails in with her pastry!!

Dollydinkum Sun 18-Oct-20 19:30:22

elleks

Ooh yes, please post the SW recipe cake. Thank you smile

GrannyLaine Sun 18-Oct-20 19:49:41

I'm really intrigued to know what on earth a SW Christmas cake has in it elleks confused

Callistemon Sun 18-Oct-20 19:57:41

GrannyLaine

I'm really intrigued to know what on earth a SW Christmas cake has in it elleks confused

Everything except sugar, but one slice = your main meal for the day!

GrannyLaine Sun 18-Oct-20 20:10:56

...... and obviously dried fruit contains no sugar??
That's bonkers. I'm more confused than ever ...........

Callistemon Sun 18-Oct-20 23:27:36

I made that up, sorry, it may not be true
?

GrannyLaine Mon 19-Oct-20 00:27:48

Callistemon from the little I've heard of SW, you may well be right!

1placidsue Mon 19-Oct-20 08:13:01

I use an old delia smith xmas cake recipe too, but I always swap peel, dried fruit, nuts etc for whatever amounts and varieties I fancy on the day! It has never let me down and keeps really well.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 19-Oct-20 08:42:07

Whole peel is a completely different experience to that usual chopped up,stuff. You can usually get it from Waitrose or Sainsbury’s nearerChristmas. It comes in orange, lemon and lime and is good enough to eat as a treat. Also, Lydll do a mixed fruit in brandy which I have used the last few years as it contains a lovely selection of fruits. I use the equivalent weight of the fruit in Delia’s recipe but add almonds, more glacé cherries and the peel. Also, orange juice and lots more brandy.

narrowboatnan Mon 19-Oct-20 18:02:13

There’s only me that eats Christmas Cake here and I certainly wouldn’t manage a whole one so I buy a slice of Christmas cake from a supermarket. Last year’s Aldi slice was good, and I’ve just treated myself to one from the local Co-Op, which is quite nice too.