Gransnet forums

Food

What do you think of slow cookers?

(77 Posts)
Ealdemodor Tue 20-Oct-20 21:09:44

I am wondering whether to buy a slow cooker.
Who uses one? What do you think? What meals work best?

Hetty58 Wed 21-Oct-20 08:35:19

I think it's important to leave it out, somewhere handy (mine sits next to the breadmaker in the utility) as it would get forgotten packed away in a cupboard.

A big benefit is the tiny amount of electricity it uses.

ayse Wed 21-Oct-20 08:40:57

As an almost vegetarian I use it for cooking a full kg. packet of dried beans after soaking overnight. I used to use a pressure cooker but this is far better. I freeze the beans after in useable sized portions.

Tweedle24 Wed 21-Oct-20 08:44:55

I love mine. It has a metal non-stick bowl so, I can fry the meat in it if I want to and, it is dishwasher proof,

I love being able to pop it on in the morning and forget about it until I am ready to eat. In the days when we were able to have visitors, I could do a meal in there so it would not matter what time they arrive.

FannyConforth, I chuck everything in together. It works.

phoenix Wed 21-Oct-20 08:45:59

I would recommend getting an oval one, that way you can do a whole chicken or a leg of lamb, as well as all the other things.

Riverwalk Wed 21-Oct-20 08:54:01

Fanny if it's a vegetable stew presumably it would be onions & root veg, in which case I would put them all in together.

I even put the likes of mushrooms in at the beginning, as you say it defeats the purpose if you have to pay too much attention!

Charleygirl5 Wed 21-Oct-20 08:54:07

I also read every time the lid is raised to add or whatever, 20 minutes is added to the cooking time. If you were adding vegetables several times that would increase the cooking time by an awful lot. I pop everything in at once and then leave it.

FannyCornforth Wed 21-Oct-20 08:56:46

Thanks everyone - that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Just chuçk it all in.

Redhead56 Wed 21-Oct-20 08:57:46

I have used mine for years on top of a very heavy chopping board. Its invaluable in my kitchen and I got a really good cookbook to go with it for a present. Make sure it's on a solid surface on top of your kitchen unit. My son kept his on all day and it scorched his surface.

bikergran Wed 21-Oct-20 09:27:30

Grandson loves a gammon joint cooked in coke in the slow cooker.

Hetty58 Wed 21-Oct-20 09:35:46

I've got used to chopping dense vegetables a little smaller. They don't soften as much as usual. Yes, you can chuck it all in and things don't disintegrate.

When I cooked meat dinners, for the carnivores in the family, I'd put a whole gammon or leg of lamb in - no liquid needed. If the lid didn't fit, I'd just mould a cover out of foil and put a folded tea towel on top.

Oopsadaisy4 Wed 21-Oct-20 09:36:01

We have a very swanky oval, metal innards one.

Used it once, put it in the cupboard and this thread has just reminded me about it.

Are they really that good? Only I was going to do a bolognaise sauce today which will only take half an hour to do on the hob, is it worth digging the slow cooker out?

Charleygirl5 Wed 21-Oct-20 09:43:13

Oopsadaisy4 I would not drag it out for that.

merlotgran Wed 21-Oct-20 09:51:12

Does anybody have a combination slow and pressure cooker?

My ancient slow cooker needs replacing and as my also ancient pressure cooker needs a new gasket I thought I'd save space by combining the two.

I use them both frequently so it wouldn't be a case of it being stuck in a cupboard out of sight.

Oopsadaisy4 Wed 21-Oct-20 09:53:11

* Charleygirl* thanks, it’s full of cake decorating stuff, so il leave it where it is.
I will pull it out for it’s annual Christmas Cake decorating fest.

SueDonim Wed 21-Oct-20 13:56:01

I’ve made casseroles using pre-browned and non-browned meat and quite honestly, you can’t tell the difference so I do t bother with browning now.

SueDonim Wed 21-Oct-20 13:56:16

*don’t

travelsafar Wed 21-Oct-20 14:01:13

Can you cook chicken in one or does it dry out??

Lettice Wed 21-Oct-20 14:05:55

I use mine a lot, both for batch cooking and for the long slow technique. I also make a most absolutely delicious die for chocolate pudding cake thing. The only drawback to that is it makes quite a large quantity and it has to be eaten. I'm fairly sure it would not freeze, but I don't want to try it in case it spoils. I don't mind eating it twice or more.

chelseababy Wed 21-Oct-20 16:13:09

Chicken carcass in mine now with stock and veg. Use mine a couple of times a week.

Jaxjacky Wed 21-Oct-20 16:24:20

travelsafar I cook chicken all the time, no drying out, either with a sauce for pieces. For a whole one, just a half mug of water, herbs, butter on breast and seasoning, it makes gravy.

GrandmasueUK Wed 21-Oct-20 16:33:18

Merlotgran I have a Ninja Foodi combination cooker and I use the pressure cooker and air fryer the most. I make all sorts of casseroles, soups, bolognaise and chilli in the pressure cooker. No need to keep stirring, the bottom doesn't catch as it does in a pan. I've used a combination of pressure cooker and air fryer for roast chicken; it was so tasty.

Tweedle24 Wed 21-Oct-20 18:40:10

I have sen recipes for cakes in them, but have not tried that

Tweedle24 Wed 21-Oct-20 18:40:29

SEEN not sen

MissAdventure Wed 21-Oct-20 18:44:57

Another tip is to put the veg at the bottom, meat on top. - apparently it cooks the veg a little more if you do that.

PinkCakes Wed 21-Oct-20 22:45:28

I use mine a lot in winter, for casseroles, curries, chilli, as well as joints of meat.