Gransnet forums

Food

Gravy browning

(30 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Thu 22-Oct-20 21:23:03

I found out today that Tesco's no longer sell gravy browning! My local shop doesn't sell it either. However, I can always get it in Morrison's thankfully. I use it every time I make gravy and I think it's the best way to make it with fat from the meat and flour. Is this a sign of the times I wonder? I know my daughter who in her 40 years on the planet has never made gravy in the old fashioned way or any other way come to that! She buys it ready made! Perhaps this is the way of the world now. How do you all make yours?

Liz46 Thu 22-Oct-20 21:29:28

I had to have a lecture from the practise nurse when my cholesterol was high. She was so obese that I couldn't believe she was lecturing me on diet. My BMI is normal. When she asked me how I made gravy I told her I used the juices of the meat and the sucked her teeth disapprovingly.

EllanVannin Thu 22-Oct-20 21:31:28

If I'm roasting beef I don't need any colouring as it's in the sediment left over by the beef. I add cornflour to thicken and the usual veg liquids.
I still use gravy browning for other meats and chicken.

Charleygirl5 Thu 22-Oct-20 21:38:25

You would not like to dine in my house- I do not make gravy because I do not like it.

Hetty58 Thu 22-Oct-20 21:38:26

I'm vegan - so I use Bisto!

Floradora9 Thu 22-Oct-20 21:39:12

My Tesco has Bisto I have used it for 55 years and would be lost without it .

kittylester Thu 22-Oct-20 21:48:09

I haven't used gravy browning for years and years.

I roast the meat on chopped onions, herbs (eg black pepper, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary and a glove of garlic) as appropriate (and a lemon for chicken) deglaze the pan with an appropriate type of alcohol - well actually I use quite a lot. Reduce it, strain it then add stock and reduce it.

People seem to like my gravy.

Missfoodlove Thu 22-Oct-20 22:27:38

Always proper gravy with the meat juices and veg water.
All the mini Foodloves make proper gravy too.

Chewbacca Thu 22-Oct-20 22:44:34

I'm not surprised kittylester! I'll be round on Sunday; about half one.

Esspee Thu 22-Oct-20 23:05:10

Browning for a Caribbean meal is made fresh every time. In a deep pot heat a pot spoon of oil, add a tablespoon or two of brown sugar. Keep the heat high and the sugar melts then rises to the surface and froths. At the point when it has reached the right depth of colour you add the meat which was probably marinating in herbs and spices overnight. Once the chicken or other meat is well browned on all sides you add the marinade and stock or water, and braise until almost cooked then add the veg or veg and rice.

Grandmafrench Thu 22-Oct-20 23:19:35

Liz46

I had to have a lecture from the practise nurse when my cholesterol was high. She was so obese that I couldn't believe she was lecturing me on diet. My BMI is normal. When she asked me how I made gravy I told her I used the juices of the meat and the sucked her teeth disapprovingly.

That's very funny, Liz - we used to have a plumber like that. He wasn't obese but definitely had similar teeth !!!

Alishka Fri 23-Oct-20 00:04:18

I wonder if we have the same practise nurse Liz? Ours gave me a similar lecture and was a similar shape.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 23-Oct-20 02:04:29

kittylester

I haven't used gravy browning for years and years.

I roast the meat on chopped onions, herbs (eg black pepper, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary and a glove of garlic) as appropriate (and a lemon for chicken) deglaze the pan with an appropriate type of alcohol - well actually I use quite a lot. Reduce it, strain it then add stock and reduce it.

That’s exactly what I do!!

NotSpaghetti Fri 23-Oct-20 06:11:04

I am vegetarian but am able to make both meat-based and vegetable gravies without browning. I've never used it and nor did my parents... in fact, I've just had to look up what's in it!
Colour: Ammonia Caramel, Glucose Syrup, Salt
Surely this can't really be necessary!

kittylester Fri 23-Oct-20 07:34:08

Did it start as a gf thing Ww? That's why I started but it is so much easier that way.

Riverwalk Fri 23-Oct-20 07:46:37

I've never used gravy browning, nor did my mother.

I make mine similar to Kitty's except that I don't strain but blitz it (removing bay leaf etc). The blitzed onions, sometimes soffritto, thicken the sauce.

kittylester Fri 23-Oct-20 08:00:29

Wow, I'll have to try that, riverwalk! I presume that thickens it as well. Roast pork on Sunday!

kittylester Fri 23-Oct-20 08:01:34

Oops, you said that! Sorry! It's still early!

Bluebellwould Fri 23-Oct-20 08:22:46

Oh you wicked people! All that lovely food and I’m off for a diet milkshake. ?

Hollyhock1 Fri 23-Oct-20 08:30:43

I've been doing my mum's shopping since March and gravy browning is a regular on her list. I've actually found it in Tesco but the packaging has changed. It's in a bottle now, green lid, green label by Sarson's. I found it near the Bisto powder. (As a child I remember it being in a yellow box, powder form).

Puzzler61 Fri 23-Oct-20 09:49:32

My mum was never without gravy browning too.
I don’t use it - it’s the messiest, stickiest stuff! We prefer Bisto granules.

grannysyb Fri 23-Oct-20 10:25:57

Make gravy with meat juices, flour and wine, if needed I use Kallo stock cubes but not the low salt ones. Marigold bouillon is also useful. Never used gravy browning and can't bear the taste of Bisto!

lmfielden Fri 23-Oct-20 10:34:34

Exactly the way I make gravy, but with Bovril!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 23-Oct-20 10:37:15

kittylester

Did it start as a gf thing Ww? That's why I started but it is so much easier that way.

No I have nearly always done it like that. I started making gravy like Mum with Bisto after I was first married, but very soon changed o making proper grave. It was an American chef I think. I started with Christmas turkey gravy making stock with giblets etc and from then never looked back, so that would have been in the early 70s I guess.

I have always used cornflour in sauces as well. So that has never changed.

grannylyn65 Fri 23-Oct-20 10:50:55

Bisto is ?