Gransnet forums

Food

Gravy browning

(31 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Thu 22-Oct-20 21:23:03

I found out today that Tesco's no longer sell gravy browning! My local shop doesn't sell it either. However, I can always get it in Morrison's thankfully. I use it every time I make gravy and I think it's the best way to make it with fat from the meat and flour. Is this a sign of the times I wonder? I know my daughter who in her 40 years on the planet has never made gravy in the old fashioned way or any other way come to that! She buys it ready made! Perhaps this is the way of the world now. How do you all make yours?

grannyrebel7 Sat 24-Oct-20 21:56:42

Thanks for your comments. Seems I'm in the minority then. Better get out there and stock up!

kittylester Sat 24-Oct-20 22:06:00

My scary mil always used Burdall's Gravy Salt - which I assumed must be a better class of gravy browning because she was always right.

jacq10 Sat 24-Oct-20 22:40:39

I've always used Burdall's Gravy Salt Kittylester and still do although it is quite hard to get. My mother used it and she was an excellent cook.

JackyB Sun 25-Oct-20 08:14:18

My mother was a very good comfort-food cook and always used Bisto and changed to granules later on. She usually grilled meat so there wasn't really much liquid to use for a gravy. For the Sunday roast she would use the juices but dripping toast was also a great favourite with us so she kept some back.

I don't often do gravy, now I come to think of it. Can't get Bisto here in Germany, of course. There are plenty of similar things available but usually in portioned sachets or little boxes, so you can't control the thickness or the quantity very much.

Instead of gravy I often use a white sauce, a red wine sauce or a lemon/butter sauce. I think I'll try out some of the methods described here, but only when we have visitors who eat meat.

Elegran Sun 25-Oct-20 08:55:30

My mother used a sprinkling of flour mixed into the meat juices and diluted with the water from cooking whatever vegetables we were having. If it looked too pale, she added Oxo. It was all boiled up and reduced while the meat rested and the roast potatoes finished. I do the same on the rare occasions that I do a roast while cooking for one.