Gransnet forums

Food

Soupmakers out?

(99 Posts)
Jane10 Mon 02-Nov-20 12:44:36

Well mine is. I've make a few soups recently and have been playing around with texture. The latest one tasted great. I set it on 'chunky' as it was full of carrots, turnips, leeks and some lentils but gave it a whiz with the blender once it was ready. Resultant texture was just right. Brothish but without being so chunky it couldn't be consumed from a mug.
Any suggestions for other soups?

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 03-Nov-20 11:38:29

The only soup maker in out house is me!! I am quite lazy about my soups, I buy a packet of Morrisons frozen casserole, fry a load of onion in the pan, thaw out a jugful of the veg and blend it with my hand blender, I add either oxo cubes or worcester sauce. It is usually quite acceptable?

BelindaB Tue 03-Nov-20 11:43:23

Ditto to several others - I have a stick blender and use that. My current fave soup is Asparagus and Courgette. Such a light, tasty soup I never want the bowl to empty.

Other favourites are brocolli and potato and leek and potato. I also make a squash soup with carrots and lentils which the GD's adore.

My Nan always said that you could make a soup of virtually anything and as long as you could make a soup your family would never go hungry.

I've inherited her love of soup, as has my own family.

I am only half-recalling something I read in a newspaper recently that said that those who have soup for lunch were rarely obese..but I can't remember the rest of the article!

Vintagegirl Tue 03-Nov-20 11:43:57

I love making soup but sadly other half will not eat and also DD when home insists on posh fresh ones from supermarket. I love the cauliflower and garlic one. The garlic is pre cooked by putting whole bulb in tinfoil and baking til soft...clip top of cloves to let steam out. Then squeeze sweet pulp out in to saucepan... can be done in advance and frozen. Maybe the lady who does not like garlic might fancy this as flavour is transformed?

Mollygo Tue 03-Nov-20 11:45:42

Salter soup maker came out as soon as the sun disappeared. Leek and potato (you can add chopped ham at the end), cauliflower, parsnip and ginger, and to my great delight, celery. DH doesn’t like celery but loves it puréed into soup. That means I can buy a head with sticks for me to eat and the rest goes into the soup maker.

Vintagegirl Tue 03-Nov-20 11:46:07

My current favourite is fish chowder using a regular soup (tomatoe?) and dropping in ready cooked seafood at end. You can get nice seafood chunks in frozen bags also with mussels/calimari/prawns (Aldi). I believe there is a fish stock cube or tub but I have not managed to find any,

nipsmum Tue 03-Nov-20 11:48:17

Carrot and courgette soup, squash and sweet potato, mushroom, tomato, green pea and apple, butter bean and lemon, cauliflower and broccoli, potato and leek or my very favourite Cullen skink, recipes can be found on the internet for them all.

Elegran Tue 03-Nov-20 12:04:36

LindyB The first thing you should do is look in the recipe book that came with your soupmaker. You may not want to do any of the exact recipes, but it will give you an idea of the approximate amounts to put in - It is about 500 grams of vegetables, plus a stock cube or stock powder, then top up with water from the kettle to the level marked on the side, and switch on! That is it! It isn't haute cuisine.

The vegetables can be whatever you have lying around, or any of the combinations that posters have suggested. They don't need to be chopped all that small or neat.

Applegran Tue 03-Nov-20 12:09:01

I use my soup maker a lot and love it! I use a huge variety of organic vegetables and no factory preservatives and its delicious! Easy too - can't recommend it highly enough. I sometimes add a bit of butternut squash to other vegetables, as it makes a lovely smooth texture. Maybe I should try chunky, seeing what others are saying ! Thank you for the ideas!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:12:46

What is a soupmaker?

I use the largest saucepan I own. Always have done.

Elegran Tue 03-Nov-20 12:17:28

There are a lot of soup recipes at
scottishmum.com/category/fabulous-food/soups/ They have all been family-tested. (ignore the advertisement near the top of the page that says VIEW RECIPE in large capitals, unless you really want to add a recipe search extension to your browser. It has nothing to do with the site.)
Searching online for soupmaker recipes brings up a vast number of them! Some popular ones are repeated again and again.

Elegran Tue 03-Nov-20 12:25:17

Grandtante I would have said the same until I had mine. If you always make chunky soup for a large family, your big pan and a hand blender when necessary is probably more useful, but the soupmaker holds enough for six servings, needs absolutely no attention between chucking in the ingredients and pouring the finished soup from the jug into a bowl, and blends a smooth soup without dirtying another utensil or splashing the walls and work surface. What's more, you can be giving full attention to whatever else you are cooking.

FlotheCrow Tue 03-Nov-20 12:32:42

I make parsnip and sweet potato, or carrot and coriander for lunch every day in winter. One 'brew' lasts me several days.

Nannan2 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:33:54

I bought one in sale last year- never took it out of box! I feared it be 'fiddly' but this yr am inspired- i spent time other night making a stew& a soup also (using a hand blending stick)-& realised probably took longer than using soup maker ? is it hard to clean a soup maker though??

Nannan2 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:55:55

I think knorr do a fish stock cube??

Llamedos13 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:55:56

No one singing the praises of the instant pot to make loads of tasty soups?

Nannan2 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:57:33

I might be inspired enough to give it a go.?

Thisismyname1953 Tue 03-Nov-20 13:13:21

I have a soup maker and our family favourite is carrot and lentil soup which I made this morning . As you say , Chuck all the ingredients in and 21 minutes later , delicious soup with no hassle

Jane10 Tue 03-Nov-20 13:45:33

Very easy to clean mine Nannan. I clean it immediately the soup is made. I just run the kettle part under the tap and wipe it clean and similarly clean the top part. On no account immerse it in water!!

Stansgran Tue 03-Nov-20 14:05:31

I use the Scottish mums recipes for soup maker but I think I overloaded it yesterday and have burnt the whole thing out. It was a potato and onion instead of my usual potato and leek and now I can’t find the bottom bit of my hand blender to finish it off. Feeling very discouraged today.

Elegran Tue 03-Nov-20 14:17:55

Do you have an oldfashioned potato masher, Stansgran ? That would break up the spuds. Or you could put them into a large bowl and mash them with a fork. Otherwise, resign yourself to having chunky potato and leek soup!

Keeper1 Tue 03-Nov-20 14:20:38

Slightly off thread apologies but could I have some soupmaker recommendations please?

Chardy Tue 03-Nov-20 14:21:42

Soup maker was probably best Christmas present ever. Throw whatever is in the fridge that needs eating up, and 20 mins later - voila, vegetable soup.

cavewoman Tue 03-Nov-20 14:36:51

Anyone have any suggestions for stock cubes? I've ruined many a good soup by using stock that tastes too salty and artificial.

Stansgran Tue 03-Nov-20 14:46:59

@Elegran I’ve always wanted a potato masher but I do have a much used fork with long tines but for some reason it tasted awful .don’t know what went wrong . And DH is looking askance at me buying another one. It may be because I’ve just had the Cupboard of Electrical Machines Which I Do Not Use out over the floor looking for the other half of the blender.

Patsyb71 Tue 03-Nov-20 14:52:00

Marigold powder is very good, they do a low salt one,