Gransnet forums

Food

Soupmakers out?

(99 Posts)
Jane10 Mon 02-Nov-20 12:44:36

Well mine is. I've make a few soups recently and have been playing around with texture. The latest one tasted great. I set it on 'chunky' as it was full of carrots, turnips, leeks and some lentils but gave it a whiz with the blender once it was ready. Resultant texture was just right. Brothish but without being so chunky it couldn't be consumed from a mug.
Any suggestions for other soups?

arosebyanyothername Wed 04-Nov-20 12:50:58

Callistemon Yes quite some time ago now. The jug seemed expensive at the time but I use it a lot smile

Elegran Wed 04-Nov-20 10:39:04

The worst I ever made was pickled onion and butter bean. It was revolting. I think it came from the ScottishMums site that has lots of excellent soup recipes - it seems to have vanished from the site now, not surprisingly.

Callistemon Wed 04-Nov-20 10:18:02

Jane10

*Callistemon*- a neep is orange tinted. Goes well with haggis and tatties. That's what was in my latest soup along with ingins, lentils, carrots and leeks.

It's a swede Jane10 wink or, ok, a neap! Yes, goes well with carrots and lentils etc.

I think turnips, the white ones which have a pink-tinged skin, are a bit more peppery.

The worst soup I ever made was cucumber (mentioned on another thread). It was bitter and inedible even though I followed the recipe exactly and then added a couple of teaspoons of sugar too. I couldn't recommend it.
It went down the loo.

Rosiebee Wed 04-Nov-20 09:03:29

cavewoman I'd forgotten about curried sprout soup. I made it years ago from an old "Family Circle" magazine and it was delicious. I must make a version of my "Green" soup at least every other week - Base of onion,potato and chicken stock (Knorr Stock Pot) and then any chopped green veg wilting in fridge: leeks, asparagus, spring onions, celery broccoli etc. Simmer 20 mins and add frozen peas for last 5 mins. Blitz with stock blender and sometimes add cream or milk to taste. I like mine served with a dollop of plain yoghurt.

Jane10 Wed 04-Nov-20 06:54:27

Callistemon- a neep is orange tinted. Goes well with haggis and tatties. That's what was in my latest soup along with ingins, lentils, carrots and leeks.

MiniMoon Wed 04-Nov-20 00:49:57

I made borscht with the last beetroot from the garden. I enjoyed it, but DH wasn't keen. That's one soup I will not make again.
His favourite is the mushroom and parsley soup from The New Covent Garden Book of Soup.

florrymac Tue 03-Nov-20 23:22:01

Bought a compact one with a gift voucher that was going out of date only because I couldn’t see anything else that took my fancy.
Best thing ever! Used constantly as it is so easy to clean and makes just the right amount of soup in twenty odd minutes.

Callistemon Tue 03-Nov-20 23:15:27

a Pampered Chef party arosebyanyothername
I went to one of those once and it was a great evening.
Of course I bought a couple of items, profits went to the DGC's school, but I must say they've come in very useful over the years.

Callistemon Tue 03-Nov-20 23:10:15

turnips
Jane10 when you say turnips do you mean the white, pink-tinged ones or the large orange ones, which I call swede?

Callistemon Tue 03-Nov-20 23:08:30

If I put onions in I usually cook them first, just in a little stock in the microwave as I don't think they soften up enough jusy0t in the soup maker.

I found a bag of broccoli and cauliflower in the freezer that had been there for a while so I made soup with the whole bagful (it was too much for the soupmaker), homemade chicken stock and stirred in strong grated cheddar (I had no Stilton)!
Necessity is the mother of invention.
It was very tasty.

Butternut squash with onion and a little chilli (dried is fine if you don't have fresh), with coconut cream or milk
Beetroot soup, finished off with a swirl of Greek yogurt or sour cream. You could add carrots, ginger.

NotAGran55 Tue 03-Nov-20 22:19:16

I hadn’t heard of a soup maker until this thread and bought one today smile

Jane10 Tue 03-Nov-20 22:05:40

Sounds very complicated Grandmama. Mine's a bung it all in and Bob's your uncle one!

Jude10 Tue 03-Nov-20 19:00:07

Cauliflower cheese soup
Chop up onions and a cauliflower and simmer ( 20 - 30 mins) in veg stock
Wiz up using a stick blender or in a blender
Add 8 cheese triangles ( laughing cow etc) and stir or wiz til melted
Season to taste
Soooooo yummy

Grandmama Tue 03-Nov-20 18:40:13

Many years ago I used to make soup regularly on Saturdays - in a large pan then liquidising so I bought a Cuisinart soup maker. The DDs moved out so I didn't make soup any more and I've only used it once. I seem to remember having to pulse the onion and there seemed to be several steps rather than bunging everything in and leaving it. I think it makes pastry - have any grans made pastry in a Cuisinart?

GrammarGrandma Tue 03-Nov-20 18:14:56

I am the soupmaker in our house and I have never been put away!

Barmeyoldbat Tue 03-Nov-20 16:03:36

Love my soup marker, I tend to make a soup with any bits of veg hanging around plus a potatoes to thicken it, garlic etc. and it only takes 19 minutes

ann678tifney Tue 03-Nov-20 15:46:33

My daughter bought us a soup maker for Christmas last year, one of the best presents we have ever had. Use it all the time, as my dh especially likes soups.

PollyDolly Tue 03-Nov-20 15:19:17

???? Sorry! I have an image of GNetters, veggies and utensils at the ready, being ordered out of the kitchen by the Shop Steward! "Everybody Out"!!!!

Hetty58 Tue 03-Nov-20 15:17:52

I do like the marigold powder. I put a heaped dessertspoon in a full crockpot. I've added some passata, lots of garlic and a couple of bay leaves to mine (the kitchen smells amazing).

Another favourite of mine is curried cauliflower and carrot soup (add some onions) whizzed up with coconut cream when done.

Mapleleaf Tue 03-Nov-20 15:14:54

Sometimes, Jane10 I just put any leftover veg from Sunday lunch in the soup maker with any gravy that might be left, then make up the liquid with water and add another potato for thickening, add a few herbs & pepper, set to smooth and the result is a delicious soup. ?

cavewoman Tue 03-Nov-20 15:07:03

Has anyone made Curried Brussel Sprout soup? Surprisingly tasty.
A tip for any weight watcher is to add a few cauliflower florets instead of cream. Gives a similar texture once blended.

Jane10 Tue 03-Nov-20 14:55:27

I like 'Stock Pots'. I think they're Knorr. I'm still trying to hunt down some ham stock ones. I've had them before but they seem to have disappeared from all the shops I've looked in.

KnittyNannie Tue 03-Nov-20 14:54:15

I buy fresh soups from the supermarket to try once. If I like it, I make a note of the ingredients and make it myself from then on. Carrot and butternut squash is a favourite at the moment. I have a hand held “whizzer” for the purpose. Great!

Patsyb71 Tue 03-Nov-20 14:52:00

Marigold powder is very good, they do a low salt one,

Stansgran Tue 03-Nov-20 14:46:59

@Elegran I’ve always wanted a potato masher but I do have a much used fork with long tines but for some reason it tasted awful .don’t know what went wrong . And DH is looking askance at me buying another one. It may be because I’ve just had the Cupboard of Electrical Machines Which I Do Not Use out over the floor looking for the other half of the blender.