Gransnet forums

Food

Things that you have never eaten and why ?

(190 Posts)
NotAGran55 Tue 10-Nov-20 06:18:15

Mine in a topical one .
I have never eaten turkey.

When I was a child we had a capon at Christmas for some reason . I haven’t ever heard of one since ? Did I imagine it ?

From the age of about 18 I stopped eating meat and will now never taste it .

MissAdventure Thu 12-Nov-20 01:00:34

MayBee

You will enjoy this video, I think. It's lovely!

youtu.be/MtCJ6a50ALc

quizqueen Thu 12-Nov-20 01:58:29

I've never eaten shell fish- it looks so slimy and disgusting and I'm not keen on strong fishy tastes anyway. I only eat cod/plaice.

Fecklar Sun 15-Nov-20 11:38:11

I hate fruit, I have hated it all my life although I will eat banana but given the choice I will avoid it

Bigjohn Sun 15-Nov-20 11:44:28

Oysters

EllanVannin Sun 15-Nov-20 11:49:26

I've eaten smoked oysters out of a tin-----they went through me like a Porsche, so raw ones a definite no no.

Bigjohn Sun 15-Nov-20 11:54:30

EllanVannin

I've eaten smoked oysters out of a tin-----they went through me like a Porsche, so raw ones a definite no no.

@EllanVannin grin I can't deal with anything slimy x

CherryCezzy Sun 15-Nov-20 12:02:31

I've never eaten larverbread, tripe, heart, brains, pig's trotters, fish eyes, whale meat or shark. The thought of eating anything like that turns my stomach. They all seem like an incredibly unnatural thing to eat.

Bigjohn Sun 15-Nov-20 12:03:29

CherryCezzy

I've never eaten larverbread, tripe, heart, brains, pig's trotters, fish eyes, whale meat or shark. The thought of eating anything like that turns my stomach. They all seem like an incredibly unnatural thing to eat.

They all sound gross x

NotSpaghetti Sun 15-Nov-20 12:04:42

Gosh, why would you see Laverbread in the same category as tripe, heart, brains, pig's trotters, fish eyes, whale meat or shark? Seems odd to me!

Greyduster Sun 15-Nov-20 18:36:15

I bought some laver bread in Tenby market once. I was told to fry it in bacon fat. I know it’s very good for you, but it was truly horrible. Even DH wouldn’t eat it and he’s Welsh!

Eviebeanz Sun 15-Nov-20 19:58:58

Never eaten oysters

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 20:01:32

Greyduster

I bought some laver bread in Tenby market once. I was told to fry it in bacon fat. I know it’s very good for you, but it was truly horrible. Even DH wouldn’t eat it and he’s Welsh!

It is disgusting isn't it!

CherryCezzy Sun 15-Nov-20 22:00:16

NotSpaghetti

Gosh, why would you see Laverbread in the same category as tripe, heart, brains, pig's trotters, fish eyes, whale meat or shark? Seems odd to me!

It's not in the same category as the rest but it does seem an unnatural thing to eat, at least to me. It turns my stomach, just maybe not as severely as the others I listed.

Luckygirl Sun 15-Nov-20 22:02:48

Oysters and any sort of shellfish - my husband used to call them "sewage filters" - well actually he put it more crudely than that. grin

Rosina Mon 16-Nov-20 23:10:32

Oh - I've just thought of fried eggs not well cooked. I so wish I hadn't.

Magnolia62 Wed 25-Nov-20 00:16:52

I have just googled how to produce a capon. I grew up on a farm and to make a male chicken into a capon, a little pellet would be injected somewhere under its comb, before it had reached maturity using a little tool. I don’t remember it being particularly gory, certainly not bloody. This was back in the 60s I think. Wiki says that chemical castration is now illegal in the uk, probably due to using hormones I imagine. The alternative way seems horrible.

Chewbacca Wed 25-Nov-20 00:34:07

Pickled eggs. Just why would you pickle an egg? confused
Tripe. Because it looks and smells vile. envy <<not envy>>
Beetroot. Because I had to peel them after they were boiled, when I was a child, and it was like peeling a slug. envy envy <<definitely not envy>>
Calimari. Deep fried battered rubber bands.
Peaches and apricots. Too furry. Biting into one is like biting into a cat's ear.
Lychee. They look like eyeballs.
Sprouts. They're the work of the devil.

Baggs Wed 25-Nov-20 06:55:27

Whale meat. Because I've never been offered any.

chewy, I agree about calamari here but I ate tons of them when working in Thailand. So fresh! And not in the least bit rubbery.

Baggs Wed 25-Nov-20 06:57:42

My mother suggested we try pickling eggs when we had chickens and had eggs coming out of our ears, so to speak. I started putting them in bread which did help use them up as we went through a loaf a day when Minibaggs was still at home.

sodapop Wed 25-Nov-20 09:05:29

I have much the same list as you Chewbacca apart from the sprouts which I love. My husband gets really annoyed when I exclude things from our menu, he will eat just about anything.

Chewbacca Wed 25-Nov-20 09:11:03

We're not fussy eaters sodapop, we're simply selective! grin

Barmeyoldbat Wed 25-Nov-20 09:52:30

I know it sounds silly but I just hate potatoes in any form and egg white.

Callistemon Wed 25-Nov-20 11:39:28

NotSpaghetti

It's like eating slime.
Well, I'm not sure if eating is the correct word because I spat it out shock.
Food of the devil.

I spat out crocodile too, but more discreetly into a napkin.

AlisaFrost Thu 17-Dec-20 08:47:47

I have never tried pitahaya. Actually, I tried a lot of tropical fruits but there is one of which I want to tried more than other. I will buy it this week for satisfaction my taste :D
Thank you for this thread.

Franbern Thu 17-Dec-20 15:50:05

Oysters, Snails, Mussels, Lobster - never had. Wish I had when I was younger, think I am too old to experiment now.