Gransnet forums

Food

Things that you have never eaten and why ?

(190 Posts)
NotAGran55 Tue 10-Nov-20 06:18:15

Mine in a topical one .
I have never eaten turkey.

When I was a child we had a capon at Christmas for some reason . I haven’t ever heard of one since ? Did I imagine it ?

From the age of about 18 I stopped eating meat and will now never taste it .

vegansrock Sun 27-Dec-20 06:41:41

Don’t eat anything with a face is a good mantra.

Lucretzia Sun 27-Dec-20 00:06:48

I might have eaten horse meat without knowing.

I used to love salami. Danish salami.

But someone told me I was eating a horse

So I've not had any since

Alishka Sun 27-Dec-20 00:04:34

Sea cucumbers...for years I thought they were an oceanic vegetable. Got that wrong, didn't I?

Whingingmom Sat 26-Dec-20 19:09:28

Could never eat
Offal
Ortolan
Mussels, whelks, oysters
Steak tartare
Chicken feet
Runny eggs
Sea cucumbers

Sparkling Sat 26-Dec-20 18:59:02

Oysters, eels, heart, lights, brains, all make just the thought of them my stomach turns.

SuzannahM Sat 26-Dec-20 18:51:34

I've never understood the fascination for oysters - I've tried them twice now and all I remember is the taste of rubber and salt. I do love offal of all sorts, black pudding, tongue, brussel sprouts, cabbage and many other things many people won't touch.

But I don't eat tomatoes! I will dunk my chips in ketchup, and eat tomato sauce with my pasta/meatballs, and Heinz tomato soup was my comfort food when I was ill when young. But I cannot eat tomatoes. We call them squidgies because of the juice that spurts out when you bite them or cut into them.

Alishka Sat 26-Dec-20 18:22:26

Most cakes and biscuits, basically anything in the first 2 aisles of my Morries. Or chocolate!
KFC type stuff a no-no too.
Love offal etc and have brilliant recipes using these.

How different we all are!

BlueBelle Wed 23-Dec-20 23:05:04

greyduster I ve eaten thousand year old eggs and they weren’t nice at all I have drank snake wine with the snake in the bottle and iguana (like chicken)
My Nan used to cook delicious sweetbreads but not eaten meat for some time now

Teebles64 Wed 23-Dec-20 22:40:37

Tripe, beetroot, pickled onions and I really didn't like the look of the KFC chicken burger with hash brown and gloopy gravy shown on the KFC Christmas special programme last week. Can't believe anyone would think that was a good combination.

Witzend Sun 20-Dec-20 18:07:48

I’ve eaten frogs’ legs just once, in Jakarta, where dh was based for a while.
We were out for dinner with a local friend of his, and the friend ordered all the food, so I thought it’d be bad manners to refuse. They must have much bigger frogs there - these were big legs, and yes, they tasted much like chicken.

One thing I’ve never tried, and never will, since just the thought of it turns my stomach, is raw fish. I once sent back fish in a U.K. restaurant because it was still uncooked inside.
I’m not fussy about the vast majority of foods though.

JackyB Sun 20-Dec-20 04:04:52

I've never eaten horsemeat. There is a horse butcher near us and a French colleague of mine sometimes bought meat there but I never thought about it and we don't eat much meat anyway.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Thu 17-Dec-20 16:38:50

Just to correct a common misconception. The Japanese thinly-sliced raw fish is sashimi. (Yes, I've had that, at Legal Seafoods in Boston, Mass. since somebody seriously wealthy was standing treat). Sushi may or may not contain fish but basically it is sticky rice with vinegar.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Thu 17-Dec-20 16:30:24

NotAGran – we had a capon for Christmas when we lived on the Wirral. Only after we moved to Hertfordshire when I was 11 did we start having turkey on Christmas Day.

With the capon came the only bottle of wine that ever entered our house. A bottle of cheap Spanish "sauternes". I don't know where my dad got it from, probably through somebody he knew in the shipyard. He was always bringing bits of surplus stuff home from the yard. We had no corkscrew so there was a grand ceremony where dad drove a six-inch wood screw (also probably yard surface) into the cork and then attempted to remove it with pliers. The end result was almost always half a cork pulled away and the other half pushed down into the bottle with a lot of cork crumbs. I was permitted a small sip of it.

I've done most of the usual suspects. Black pudding and haggis I actually love. Tripe is exactly how Katherine Whitehorn described it: "like boiled knitting". I've done oysters along with several other molluscs and they're ok but not worth the exorbitant price (smoked oysters on hot buttered toast are another matter: delicious!). Escargots, yes, done that a couple of times. With lots of garlic butter they taste of garlic butter, with the texture of rubber bands. Cuisse de grenouille? Yes, had to try them, they are like tiny chicken wings (amphibians, birds and reptiles are very closely related). I've eaten raw baby herring in both Poland and the Netherlands. I spent two delicious summers on the Côte d'azure in my teens (we weren't posh, I got extremely lucky with my French exchange) gathering oursins (sea urchins) to cut open and mop up the roes with fresh French bread. Once I had lunch in Zürich with my friend who lives there, and she suggested I might like to try Rivella, the peculiarly Swiss soft drink made from the whey left after cheese-making. So I did. It was as ok as any other fizzy soft drink but less sweet I think. She said I was the first who had ever taken up her suggestion.

I live in Glasgow but I've never had a deep-fried Mars Bar. Like snails and frogs legs they are strictly for the tourists. Usually though I'm up for anything once and if I haven't tried lutefisk, fugu (more hype than truth about the danger I'm told) or sheep's eyeballs it's because I've never moved in those cultures, not for any other reason. I think I might draw a line at the Sardinian cheese with live maggots in it though.

rosecarmel Thu 17-Dec-20 16:21:08

Casu marzu-

Franbern Thu 17-Dec-20 15:50:05

Oysters, Snails, Mussels, Lobster - never had. Wish I had when I was younger, think I am too old to experiment now.

AlisaFrost Thu 17-Dec-20 08:47:47

I have never tried pitahaya. Actually, I tried a lot of tropical fruits but there is one of which I want to tried more than other. I will buy it this week for satisfaction my taste :D
Thank you for this thread.

Callistemon Wed 25-Nov-20 11:39:28

NotSpaghetti

Gosh, why would you see Laverbread in the same category as tripe, heart, brains, pig's trotters, fish eyes, whale meat or shark? Seems odd to me!

It's like eating slime.
Well, I'm not sure if eating is the correct word because I spat it out shock.
Food of the devil.

I spat out crocodile too, but more discreetly into a napkin.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 25-Nov-20 09:52:30

I know it sounds silly but I just hate potatoes in any form and egg white.

Chewbacca Wed 25-Nov-20 09:11:03

We're not fussy eaters sodapop, we're simply selective! grin

sodapop Wed 25-Nov-20 09:05:29

I have much the same list as you Chewbacca apart from the sprouts which I love. My husband gets really annoyed when I exclude things from our menu, he will eat just about anything.

Baggs Wed 25-Nov-20 06:57:42

My mother suggested we try pickling eggs when we had chickens and had eggs coming out of our ears, so to speak. I started putting them in bread which did help use them up as we went through a loaf a day when Minibaggs was still at home.

Baggs Wed 25-Nov-20 06:55:27

Whale meat. Because I've never been offered any.

chewy, I agree about calamari here but I ate tons of them when working in Thailand. So fresh! And not in the least bit rubbery.

Chewbacca Wed 25-Nov-20 00:34:07

Pickled eggs. Just why would you pickle an egg? confused
Tripe. Because it looks and smells vile. envy <<not envy>>
Beetroot. Because I had to peel them after they were boiled, when I was a child, and it was like peeling a slug. envy envy <<definitely not envy>>
Calimari. Deep fried battered rubber bands.
Peaches and apricots. Too furry. Biting into one is like biting into a cat's ear.
Lychee. They look like eyeballs.
Sprouts. They're the work of the devil.

Magnolia62 Wed 25-Nov-20 00:16:52

I have just googled how to produce a capon. I grew up on a farm and to make a male chicken into a capon, a little pellet would be injected somewhere under its comb, before it had reached maturity using a little tool. I don’t remember it being particularly gory, certainly not bloody. This was back in the 60s I think. Wiki says that chemical castration is now illegal in the uk, probably due to using hormones I imagine. The alternative way seems horrible.

Rosina Mon 16-Nov-20 23:10:32

Oh - I've just thought of fried eggs not well cooked. I so wish I hadn't.