Gransnet forums

Food

Soup Makers

(32 Posts)
Welshy Mon 16-Nov-20 15:27:42

I'm looking to buy a Soup Maker any recommendations please? I live alone so I don't need a large one. Also what stock/cubes do you use?

Purpledaffodil Tue 17-Nov-20 08:08:00

Notagran the sauté function is useful but not totally essential I would say. I bought mine after a previous thread and use it a lot, returning only to the saucepan method when I want to make a big quantity for visitors (remember those??)
I also endorse the MR with sauté function and Marigold veg bouillon. But on a Soupmaker Facebook page I use, the Ninja gets good reviews apart from being heavy.

Nonogran Tue 17-Nov-20 08:11:13

For Welshy ..... I use whatever Knorr cube I need to go with whatever soup I'm making. So, if it's all vegetables, I would use a veggy stock cube. Or, chicken, if I wanted that subtle flavour. It's trial & error really, according to taste or what you fancy.

Nonogran Tue 17-Nov-20 08:21:42

For Lindiann's query ...I simmer a chicken carcass until I'm satisfied remaining meat easily leaves the bone. Then I strain the stock into a clean pan and whilst the residue in the strainer is still warm, I pick out the meat. Discard bones etc. I add carrots and vegetables of choice, cook off & blend. I keep back a mug or two of mixture prior to blending because I like a soup with chunks & "bits" in it. Sometimes for richness, I add a dash of double cream.
It's not rocket science and I've never followed a recipe. Sometimes it comes out a bit like baby food puree but it's nourishing and delicious. Oftimes I fry a slice of bread, cut into pieces, for croutons. It's satisfying making use of food items which might otherwise have been discarded.

Maggiemaybe Tue 17-Nov-20 08:26:47

How does the soup maker deal with onions, garlic, ginger etc without the sauté function?

By magic? grin I really don’t know, but it does. I’d never heard of the sauté function before this thread. The only prep I do apart from roughly chopping veg is when I roast tomatoes or pepper in the oven first if I want the soup to have that particular “roasted” flavour.

Welshy Tue 17-Nov-20 10:05:00

Thank you Nonogran smile

lindiann Tue 17-Nov-20 10:34:52

Thank you Nonogran Chicken for Sunday ??