Gransnet forums

Food

Nigella

(43 Posts)
BigBertha1 Tue 17-Nov-20 09:20:02

I watched Nigella last night with her twice buttered toast and an enormous chicken sandwich which had I dont know how many different ingredients - anyone tried either of these yet?

petra Tue 17-Nov-20 12:48:27

Merlotgran
I'm pleased to hear that because I love her. I think she's a brilliant (cook) as she calls herself.
I watch her and I don't even cook ?

EllanVannin Tue 17-Nov-20 13:22:24

I remember her years ago with her first husband and she and John Diamond were so good together, she really loved him and must think about him a lot for putting her where she is now. Nigella was just an ordinary journalist when she met John, who I remember as being a lovely man.

I was always interested in both of them and was very sad when he died of throat cancer. Sadly I think Nigella remarried on the rebound as that marriage failed. However I do like the woman but feel that there's something sad about her too.

Hetty58 Tue 17-Nov-20 13:30:56

Ellianne, very true about Gordon Ramsey. I just can't stand watching him.

BigBertha1 Tue 17-Nov-20 14:33:07

I remember Nigella having a column about make up in one of the Sundays. (She always looks well made up). I wish she would do that again I enjoyed and used many of her tips especially buying Lancome's eyebrow palette. Dont know if they still do it though - it was the best eyebrow stuff I have ever had. Sorry went off piste there.

Shirleyw Wed 18-Nov-20 04:58:20

I like Nigella...also got the book and a few of her others ? yes, she does go a bit ott with the grins etc but that's her trademark I spose....she isn't my favourite cook but I do cook her stuff sometimes, never had a problem with her recipes either...

Mwdebbie Wed 18-Nov-20 08:28:04

Give me ‘Nadiya Bakes’ any day. I loved Nigella in the past and use her books all the time, but feel sad when I see how she’s over-egged her presentation persona in the current series. I went to a talk and book signing Nigella did years ago. She was warm, intelligent, authentic and not flirty at all.

Ramblingrose22 Thu 19-Nov-20 00:37:58

Agree with those who are finding Nigella's posing, simpering and flirtatious manner irritating.

The programme is about cooking and demonstrating recipes but she wants it to be all about her and her lifestyle.

FannyCornforth Thu 19-Nov-20 03:15:13

BigBertha Nigella still writes occasionally for the Sunday Times 'Style' section.
Not often enough though IMHO.

I do love Nigella, but I can't remember the last time I watched her on TV.
However, I can accept that if she is hamming it up to the extent that pps are saying (on this thread and the previous NL thread), that she may be a tad irritating.

Can I be cheeky and ask about the twice buttered toast please?
(I'm all about the carbs and fatsmile)

FannyCornforth Thu 19-Nov-20 03:20:18

RamblingRose I don't think that it is Nigella who wants it to be 'all about her lifestyle', rather than the producers.
Nigella has said on many occasions how fake it all is - eg it's nothing like her own kitchen.
Nigella is actually very private and shy , and nothing like her TV persona.
Do you remember she had a very short lived chat show? It bombed for this very reason. She couldn't sustain 'the act'. For a master class in 'sustaining the act', see Lorraine Kelly.

vegansrock Thu 19-Nov-20 07:22:36

I enjoy her programmes even though I’m not drawn by many of the recipes. This week my OH said - “She’s showing us how to make toast and sandwiches !” , but he still watched it. Good on her.

merlotgran Thu 19-Nov-20 09:25:38

The programme is about cooking and demonstrating recipes but she wants it to be all about her and her lifestyle.

Right now I can't think of a TV chef/cook who doesn't include their lifestyle in their programmes.

Ellianne Thu 19-Nov-20 09:37:05

I remember a while back she used to include her children in the programmes. They would eat around the table and comment on the food. It was all very normal and looked fun. I guess they are grown up now and have flown the nest.

FannyCornforth Thu 19-Nov-20 09:45:13

Cosima and Bruno Ellianne. I reckon that they will be mid twenties.
(All of the rooms that they use in the programmes are sets though.)
I'm off to see if I can find out what C & B are doing now.
I will report back!

FannyCornforth Thu 19-Nov-20 09:52:03

They really are very private it appears.
Cosima is 26, and Bruno 24.
Can't find much else!

Lesley60 Thu 19-Nov-20 10:05:33

Fannycornforth Now that’s someone I can’t stand to watch is Lorraine Kelly, I find her constant giggling and sycophantic behaviour to all her guests really irritating, everything is great and wonderful even when it isn’t

Ellianne Thu 19-Nov-20 10:20:05

FannyCornforth

They really are very private it appears.
Cosima is 26, and Bruno 24.
Can't find much else!

That's good to know.
Nice names!

merlotgran Wed 09-Dec-20 15:19:18

I can't believe some viewers didn't realise that Nigella's pronunciation of microwave was a JOKE.

I will always call it a mee-cro-wah-vay from now on. grin

It even made the lunchtime news. shock