Gransnet forums

Food

Slow Cooker

(59 Posts)
Welshy Sat 28-Nov-20 16:46:52

Well instead of buying my self a Soup Maker, I bought a Slow Cooker instead.
I have bought all the ingredients for a beef stew. I have read on a lot of recipes that they sear the beef first. I never did this when I used to make it in a large saucepan on the hob. Is it really necessary? Also have any of you cooked the stew on the high setting for about 4 hours instead of the 8 to 10 hours on low?
Any tips for a Slow Cooker novice greatly received smile

Welshy Mon 30-Nov-20 18:34:48

MissAdventure ... Well it was diced Irish beef, but as I said the potatoes were still a bit hard after 10 hours. It was OK after the extra 2 hours on high. But 12 hours seems a long time.

Callistemon ... So you do all your cooking on high? So a stew would take approx 4 hours?

Fennel ... I did wonder if it was a fault with the seal but as others have said theirs are loose too.

MamaCaz ... It sounds as if mine has a fault, if you had the opposite with yours. Is yours a heavy ceramic dish?

Callistemon Mon 30-Nov-20 18:38:32

I roasted an Irish topside beef joint one Sunday and it was so tough and unpalatable that the next day I diced it and put it in the slow cooker for hours with vegetables.
It was very good.

Callistemon Mon 30-Nov-20 18:40:41

Callistemon ... So you do all your cooking on high? So a stew would take approx 4 hours?

High at first for an hour (perhaps less) to get it going, then turn it down to medium.

Last year's Christmas gammon, done in my then new slow cooker while I went out shopping, just shredded!

Callistemon Mon 30-Nov-20 18:41:34

Ps it was a surprise as my old one was much slower.

MamaCaz Mon 30-Nov-20 18:45:36

34Welshy
MamaCaz ... It sounds as if mine has a fault, if you had the opposite with yours. Is yours a heavy ceramic dish?

Yes.

bikergran Mon 30-Nov-20 18:51:01

Sallywally1 I used a plug in timer(like the ones you use with lamps etc to come on and off)

I have a small slow cook and set the timer to come on when needed if I'm out, then to turn off if needed, or vice versa.

Its always worked for me no prob.

Maybe test it out one day when your in the house see how it goes.

MissAdventure Mon 30-Nov-20 18:51:21

Mine is ceramic, too.
By the time I have been out for 7 or 8 hours, (cooker left on low; I only have high and low settings) my food is just starting to catch around the edges.

MamaCaz Thu 10-Dec-20 13:47:16

Prompted by posts on here about making bread in the slow cooker, I decided to try this today.
Unfortunately, I made a stupid mistake, and didn't notice for nearly an hour that I had turned the control too far, so it was on 'keep warm' instead of 'high'. Oops blush
That meant that it was over-prooved, so it lost a lot of its rise.

Even so, whacking it up to full at that point has still resulted in a very edible bread, and I have already given in to the temptation to eat a slice of it, still warm, with butter.

I will definitely do this again but without, hopefully, any more stupid mistakes.