Gransnet forums

Food

Pre cooked roasties

(18 Posts)
Puzzler61 Tue 01-Dec-20 08:37:35

Like grannypiper says.
I par-boiled our King Edward potatoes and they are in the freezer already. A jar of goose fat is in the cupboard to roast them on Christmas Day.

Kittye Tue 01-Dec-20 08:26:50

PollyDolly ooh quite like the sound of those carrots, will definitely try

Liz46 Tue 01-Dec-20 07:51:47

We have some Aunt Bessies roast potatoes in the freezer. We have used some but the rest are heading for the bin. The frozen parsnips are not so bad though.

Lucca Tue 01-Dec-20 07:42:50

PollyDolly

I parboil the spuds too and roast them while the turkey/joint rests. I also cook the carrots in tightly packed foil parcels ( no need to parboil) with grated rind of an orange and a blob of honey. Delicious!

Might try that tonight!

PollyDolly Tue 01-Dec-20 07:33:39

I parboil the spuds too and roast them while the turkey/joint rests. I also cook the carrots in tightly packed foil parcels ( no need to parboil) with grated rind of an orange and a blob of honey. Delicious!

Witzend Tue 01-Dec-20 07:24:59

I do the same as Jaxjacky - turkey comes out to rest for a hour, nicely wrapped up in foil with a couple of tea towels on top - then the ready-parboiled spuds go in.

Sophiasnana Mon 30-Nov-20 23:22:21

I agree, Lucca. I have tried Aunt Bessies, McCains, Sainsburys frozen roasties and not one of them is a patch on the real thing. Not hard to peel a ‘tattie’ (as we call them up here)

Lucca Mon 30-Nov-20 18:51:31

I’m no cook,but I would honestly not see the point in buying aunt Bessie roasties, they’re not difficult ! Jaxjacky has it right!
Provided you parboil them and bash them they don’t take long.

vampirequeen Mon 30-Nov-20 18:45:56

My Aunty Bessie always makes my roasties and freezes them for me.

Sophiasnana Mon 30-Nov-20 18:25:53

Thanks everybody!

petra Mon 30-Nov-20 17:59:55

Sophiasnana
I assume you've eaten at a carvery? That's how your roast potatoes have been cooked.

grannypiper Mon 30-Nov-20 17:57:32

They will be fine, in fact i think they taste better. All of my veg and potatoes are already prepped and in the freezer.

EllanVannin Mon 30-Nov-20 17:50:27

I do mine like that Jaxjacky.

Jaxjacky Mon 30-Nov-20 17:45:48

I parboil mine with parsnips, turkey out to rest, oven turned up, spuds and snips in. It’s worked for thirty odd years.

Fennel Mon 30-Nov-20 17:42:52

Why not put your turkey or whatever to roast in your oven. Then in the last hour or so spread the potatoes (and any other roasted veg.) around it.
Maybe turn the oven up a bit to brown the veg.

MiniMoon Mon 30-Nov-20 13:44:05

Aunt Bessie's roast potatoes straight from the freezer. They do special ones roasted in goose fat. I buy them frequently, and cook them in the air fryer.
I wouldn't go to the trouble of pre cooking them, the less work the better on Christmas eve.

fiorentina51 Mon 30-Nov-20 13:41:37

Last year our plans for Xmas changed at short notice. From a quiet day just the 2 of us we landed up catering for 9 people.
I only had a single oven so I cooked the roasties the day before then on the day itself popped them back in for 30 minutes whilst the turkey rested before carving.
They turned out fine.

Sophiasnana Mon 30-Nov-20 11:26:41

We love ‘real’ roasties cooked in goose fat in the oven. But I have a huge problem on christmas day with my small oven! Has anyone tried oven cooking the roasties the day before and reheating them in the actifry (air fryer) the following day? Or any other suggestions welcome!