Gransnet forums

Food

Good basic recipe book please

(14 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Dec-20 08:31:24

I started married life with Mrs Beetons and I have since gravitated to various well known cooks, but I always go to Good Housekeeping if I want something more complex and tasty. I don’t think their recipes can be beaten.

I think that a good grounding in what was called domestic science at school helped enormously, in understanding the basics like a good bechamel, stock making and soup, the different sorts of baking and very pastry imaginable I can turn my hand to - no problem. Except now I’m gluten free☹️

Lucca Thu 17-Dec-20 08:27:22

Katie Stewart the Sunday Times Cookbook.

DavidFresko Thu 17-Dec-20 08:22:54

Hello everybody!
Ectually, I using Joy of Cooking, often known as "The Joy of Cooking", Author- Irma S. Rombauer.
Great book for people who love cooking.

Nannarose Tue 15-Dec-20 13:23:45

I agree that Delia is great for basics, but the one I find I go to time and again, is Nigella's first book, How to Eat (!)
As she is now such a celebrity with glossy books full of photos, and fashionable ingredients, you might find this surprising. This is the only one of hers that I have, and it is packed with really good basic recipes.
I'd also suggest using BBC Food as a great on-line resource. Search for almost any recipe, and you will get a great choice, from really simple, through old-fashioned and modern-with-a-twist. I don't think there is a site to match them for recipes, and they include 'how to' links as well.
Many of us remember our mothers sending off for the Be-Ro recipe book when we left home, and it's still going strong (although you actually have to pay for it these days!)

rosecarmel Tue 15-Dec-20 13:09:28

The old Sunset magazines have great recipes ..

rosecarmel Tue 15-Dec-20 13:06:28

Another oldie but goodie ..

geekesse Tue 15-Dec-20 13:01:48

Readers’ Digest Cookery Year, the original edition, not the revised version. It’s a bit hard to get hold of these days, but you occasionally find one in a secondhand bookshop or car boot sales.

rosecarmel Tue 15-Dec-20 12:57:51

I'd recommend these two old standards that have been around since the dawn of time!

Missfoodlove Tue 15-Dec-20 12:27:05

Delia’s complete cookery is a bible.
Perfect results every time and straightforward recipes.
I buy lots of good cookery books in charity shops.

Situpstraight2 Tue 15-Dec-20 12:18:34

I’ve still got my Good Housekeeping cook book as well, it’s my go to book in my kitchen, newer books are on the bookshelves, they have nice pictures in them but I rarely use them for recipes.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 15-Dec-20 11:58:17

I have two old Hamlyn Books. Every recipe with a photo. Although I lots of other books I still go back to these. Mary Berry has written the forward in one of them. Lovely photo of her aged about 30?

www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/books/hamlyn/best-of-hamlyn-all-colour-cooking/9780600570721

Check out worldofbooks for good bargains. Free delivery and discounts if you buy more than one.

cornishpatsy Tue 15-Dec-20 11:51:06

AbeBooks will have an old cookery book that will not have modern ingredients.

25Avalon Tue 15-Dec-20 11:43:04

The Good Housekeeping Cookbook that I’ve had for 45 years (omg) is a bit worse for wear but covers everything. I don’t think the latest editions are quite so good or comprehensive. I bought a new one last year but ditched it in favour of my old trusted version.

Sophiasnana Tue 15-Dec-20 11:38:07

Help. I would love to find a recipe book full of tasty wholesome recipes, like we used to eat back in the 60s,70s, 80s! Every magazine I pick up, and new recipe book I buy, is full of couscous, coriander, chilli, chickpeas, feta etc etc! I bought a couple of old recipe books off ebay, but they werent what I’m looking for either. Full of dinner party recipes like devilled eggs etc.
I know I can look on the internet, but nothing beats looking through a nice recipe book.