Gransnet forums

Food

I'd be a vegetarian if I liked vegetables. Enticing recipes please.

(27 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Wed 16-Dec-20 14:12:22

I've signed up for an organic vegbox again. Years ago when I was living in the south of England I had one from Riverford which I really liked but Riverford doesn't deliver to Scotland and there's generally a dearth of schemes up here. I have, however, signed up with Locavore, a local scheme that aims to provide mainly Scottish produce. To be honest I find most vegetables a bit of a pill although I love most fruit and can't get enough.

This morning I received my first box. I'll have no trouble with the fruit bag, which contains apples, oranges, pears and grapes (none, I suspect, from Scotland), nor with the sourdough loaf, which I think we all know will struggle to see the day out, never mind the week. The small veg box for one contains potatoes and onions, which are no problem at all, and carrots which I will probably eat raw because it's a sin to boil good carrots, Then there's a cabbage of the loosely-packed variety, and beetroot.

I'm not as averse to cabbage as I once was, provided that it receives minimal cooking and isn't boiled to a mush in the traditional English way. Beetroot I can handle, especially in soup, so there's nothing in there that I can't eat. But cabbage and beetroot don't exactly excite me.

Do any of you know any recipes using any of the above that will excite my tastebuds and make it feel less like a duty? A good range of herbs and spices in my store cupboard may be assumed.

geekesse Thu 17-Dec-20 16:16:01

Here’s a family favourite that was first cobbled together when I was broke and had to invent something with ingredients I had in the cupboard and fridge. The kids called it ‘Mum’s Risotto’, but it isn’t really risotto at all, just rice and veg. The veg can be a bit tired and manky.

Put oven on to 180degrees to heat up.

Fry, over very hot heat, one ingredient at a time:
(I use olive oil for frying, but you can use whatever you prefer.)
1 aubergine (thinly sliced, fry till brown) (if you salt the aubergine slices, you won’t need to add salt later)
1 red pepper (cut into 1 inch squares)
1 green pepper (ditto)
1 small pack baby button mushrooms (halved)
(Any other veg you think would work)
1 mug of basmati rice (til it’s all opaque and white, just starting to brown)

Put the whole lot in a big-ish casserole or ovenproof pan.
Add a handful of chopped black olives
Four tomatoes cut into eighths

Put a good dessert spoonful or more of curry paste into the mug you measured the rice with, fill it to the top with boiling water and stir, then tip it into the casserole/pan. Add a second mug full of boiling water. Stir the whole lot together, and if you didn’t salt your aubergine slices, add salt now.

Put the casserole/pan into a 180degree oven for 40 minutes. Stir and stand for a couple of minutes.

Serve with a generous helping of grated cheddar. Serves 4-6.

(You can use less rice if you are cooking for fewer people - just make sure that you add two measures of water for one measure of rice)

growstuff Thu 17-Dec-20 14:52:02

Baggs

For dislikers of cabbage, try this: chop an onion and some cabbage (any kind); heat some fat/oil in a wok or frying pan; tip the chopped onion in and, when it has begun to soften, shake on some turmeric and some ground cumin. Also salt. Mix that in and then add the chopped cabbage.* Then turn the heat down to low and let the cabbage cook/soften.

*I sometimes add chopped tomato or bell pepper or pine nuts, or all three, as well.

That's one of my staples too. I don't like turmeric and I don't add salt, so I add whatever else I have to hand. I'm not veggie, so I sometimes throw in a few bits of chorizo or scraps of bacon. I found a packet of chestnuts left over from last Christmas (or maybe the Christmas before) and added them.

Alexa Thu 17-Dec-20 14:44:29

Definitely a case for veggy OXO cubes.
Veg soup can be creamed up with Coffee Mate, butter and cream are better but not for vegans.

Baggs Thu 17-Dec-20 14:34:50

For dislikers of cabbage, try this: chop an onion and some cabbage (any kind); heat some fat/oil in a wok or frying pan; tip the chopped onion in and, when it has begun to soften, shake on some turmeric and some ground cumin. Also salt. Mix that in and then add the chopped cabbage.* Then turn the heat down to low and let the cabbage cook/soften.

*I sometimes add chopped tomato or bell pepper or pine nuts, or all three, as well.

Witzend Thu 17-Dec-20 13:37:01

Stir fried veg are lovely - not sure I’d try stir frying beetroot, but I often do a medley of whatever we have. Including shredded cabbage!
IIRC besides a little oil, my recipe uses 2 tbsp water, 2 tbsp oyster sauce and 1 tbsp soy sauce. But I nearly always add some crushed garlic, and some red chilli and ginger (both the lazy variety out of little Asda jars.)
V quick and tasty.

NonnaW Thu 17-Dec-20 13:24:29

Husband stir fries cabbage and leeks and adds fennel seeds. Very good.

Fennel Thu 17-Dec-20 12:05:54

takes more planning too eg protein substitutes instead of meat:
eggs, cheese beans, lentils and fish - some veggies don't eat fish or cheese.

Fennel Thu 17-Dec-20 11:52:14

"But I’d certainly love to eat more vegetarian if it could be done with little effort.."
I think that's a real problem, dogsmother. Veg. dishes do take more effort in preparation
Checking for insects, peeling chopping etc. Plus the rest of the dish. Whereas meat, just a slab of meat protein, maybe an onion or 2, water or stock and bung it in the oven.
Rose Elliot's books are classics - I've got Not a Load of old Lentils.

dogsmother Thu 17-Dec-20 08:43:53

Love seeing these ideas, I always tend to eat from makeshift meals every day....it’s a rare thing that any meal follows a standard, Sunday roast apart I suppose. Although I’m certain we are all the same unless living from packets and jars.
But I’d certainly love to eat more vegetarian if it could be done with little effort....

DavidFresko Thu 17-Dec-20 08:17:22

Hello! I can recommend to you recipe of vegan pumpkin bread.
Ingredience:
A cup of puree from our orange vegetable;
1/3 cups of milk (you may choose milk made of nuts);
A couple of warm eggs;
1/3 cups of oil (e.g., sunflower);
Half a teaspoon of special food soda;
¾ cups of sugar or powder;
One and a quarter cup of flour for your bread;
0,5 cup of the rolled oats;
½ teaspoons of spices of your choice (you may add any others to ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice).
Proceed:
Once your oven is at 350°F, it is ready for baking.

2. Do not mix ingredients all together! Put the basic components in the mixing bowl first. Shake them until the mixture turns creamy.

3. Take another bowl to combine soda, salt, and other secondary ingredients.

4. The dry components should become wet. You will get a batter for your product. Place it in the meatloaf pan.

5. Do not over-bake – one hour is enough to finish the process. Otherwise, the edges of your bread may turn too brown. Cool the ready vegan pumpkin bread. Serve after that.

Doodledog Wed 16-Dec-20 19:29:30

Vegetable crumble is good. Just cook the veg, pour over a cheese sauce (or any sauce will do - if you don't like cheese or are feeding vegans then tomato sauce is fine, or a mushroom one works well) then make a well-seasoned crumble mixture with flour and butter, grated cheese, seeds and breadcrumbs, and sprinkle over the top before baking until golden.

Missfoodlove Wed 16-Dec-20 19:29:10

Make an Asian slaw with raw carrots, cabbage and raw grated beetroot.
Use 1/2 yoghurt and 1/2 mayonnaise to dress and lots of chopped coriander.

Fennel Wed 16-Dec-20 18:49:27

I don't like cabbage either. Except red cabbage stewed with apple raisins onions and brown sugar.
Today we had an old standby - root veg. sliced and preboiled. Then layer in an oven dish with onions and sliced Med veg, sprinkle with olive oil. a little veg stock and bake in a hot oven until browned.
You can sprinkle with grated cheese towards the end.
Uses up old pieces of veg, We have it with fish.

Baggs Wed 16-Dec-20 18:38:22

Another of our staples is wedged root vegetables plus broccoli and onion all oven roasted and served with fried eggs.

Nice with meat (especially venison) instead of eggs too ?

Baggs Wed 16-Dec-20 18:34:59

Check out recipes by Rukmini Iyer, dedlock. DD has a couple of her books and there are some good ideas. A simple one-dish one that we like (and we're committed omnivores and think vegetarian recipes are nearly always improved by the addition of some bacon ?) is sweat leeks, carrots and some garlic in butter in a lidded casserole dish (20 mins), then stir in a vac pack of puy lentils and a tub of crème fraîche, sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs and bake, still lidded until done. It's infinitely variable and very tasty.

And is equally good (though not better) with some bacon.

Nannarose Wed 16-Dec-20 17:40:56

Ideas:
Make a coleslaw with the cabbage, carrots & onions. I always have a bowl on the go in winter. I don't add mayonnaise, just oil & lemon.
Stir fry thinly sliced cabbage, I add mustard & creme fraiche.
I roast beetroot, usually with onions, parsnips, sometimes celeriac, plenty of garlic. I often eat this with jacket potato & a dollop of mayonnaise - DH adds chilli sauce.

GillT57 Wed 16-Dec-20 17:40:51

There is no need to boil cabbage to death, it is far better steamed anyway! Beetroot can be used to great success in chocolate cake, what a way to get your five a day eh? I like to make a pot of minestrone soup with pasta and beans and then add finely shredded cabbage for the last few minutes.

MrsJamJam Wed 16-Dec-20 17:35:19

Even though you can't get a Riverford box you can still look at their website which has lots of yummy recipes. I did their cauliflower, leek and mustard soup and it was delicious. I would never have thought of using mustard in a soup!

Charleygirl5 Wed 16-Dec-20 16:30:49

NotTooOld I am no cook so I cheat and buy a packet from a supermarket.

NotTooOld Wed 16-Dec-20 16:27:21

Stir fry with sweet and sour sauce is very nice. You can add pieces of Quorn or prawns to the vegetables. DH's favourite veggie dish is a roast with roast potatoes, parsnips and mushrooms, plus steamed green vegetables and carrots., He also likes Yorkshire puds with it. I'm not sure those are actually veggie but I do them anyway.
Charleygirl - what is your recipe for the curry sauce, please?

Charleygirl5 Wed 16-Dec-20 16:19:56

I am not a vegetarian but I do love stir-fried vegetables with a curry flavour. So easy even a non-cook like me can do it.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Wed 16-Dec-20 16:12:37

Paddyanne, I only ordered a small veg box, there's plenty there to feed me for a week! There's a supplementary veg bag you can order for a supplement that gives you (looks) squash, flat beans and tomatoes. Those are all from Spain so I guess they won't be available much longer.

paddyanne Wed 16-Dec-20 15:48:52

where are you in Scotland ? There are a few companies delivering veg boxes in and around the Glasgowarea.If you have Facebook check them out on there .Certainly any I've ordered had more variety than that .

merlotgran Wed 16-Dec-20 15:41:55

I'm not as averse to cabbage as I once was, provided that it receives minimal cooking and isn't boiled to a mush in the traditional English way.

I think you'll find we've come a long way since those days. hmm

Situpstraight2 Wed 16-Dec-20 15:37:13

Look on Pinterest, there must be something on there that will catch your eye.