Gransnet forums

Food

chocolate log

(16 Posts)
Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 18-Dec-20 10:28:07

That looks delicious Travelsfar ?. My mother always used to buy or make one. I havent had one for a few years but really want a slice now!

mumofmadboys Fri 18-Dec-20 10:09:19

Looks great travelsafar.

travelsafar Fri 18-Dec-20 08:52:12

Calendargirl thank you. smile

Calendargirl Thu 17-Dec-20 18:22:08

Looks delicious travelsafar

?

Franbern Thu 17-Dec-20 15:48:25

Chocolate log - I always made, and now daughter uses same idea. Make a normal Swiss Roll. Then fill with double cream whipped with Hot Chocolate powder, also cover with this. Use fork to decorate to make it look like a log, Absolutely delic!!!!!

AmberSpyglass Thu 17-Dec-20 14:12:10

My cousin does the most amazing one - I never want to ask for the recipe because I know I couldn’t replicate it to her standards!

travelsafar Thu 17-Dec-20 14:07:29

My first attempt as a trial before christmas. I used the reiepe from a Be Ro cookbooklet that use to be my mother in laws. It was quite simple really. I did whip in some melted chocolate but i don't think i used enough will add 75gms next time Calendergirl Will dust with icing sugar just before serving.

Calendargirl Thu 17-Dec-20 12:24:05

travelsafar

Calendergirl how do you put the chocolate in? Do just whip it into the buttercream after making it?

Yes, just melt the chocolate and fold it in. I use a cheap plain Tesco chocolate, and it is really nice.

100gms butter
100gms icing sugar
75gms (melted) chocolate.

I put about 1/3 inside, the rest outside.

dragonfly46 Thu 17-Dec-20 11:32:08

I make Delia Smith's chocolate roulade. It is a bit of a fiddle but sometimes I leave the filling out and just put cream in to make it lighter. Delicious!

EllanVannin Thu 17-Dec-20 11:29:31

Another one of my mum's specialities and what I remember was that she melted chocolate as the covering and when cut it created an avalanche of cracked chocolate pieces, some of which were put back on the log like jig-saw pieces before brother and I dived in.

Like everything she made, it was more like a tree trunk than a log. Her Cornish pasties were like dinosaurs and meat pies were like Desperate Dan's cow pies. Everything was huge ! grin

I've made swiss rolls but not a chocolate log as I buy them from M&S. Home made are delicious though.

BigBertha1 Thu 17-Dec-20 10:59:17

I would do it that way - melt the chocolate and stir it in.

travelsafar Thu 17-Dec-20 10:46:06

Calendergirl how do you put the chocolate in? Do just whip it into the buttercream after making it?

Calendargirl Thu 17-Dec-20 09:47:46

My GC love my chocolate log, especially since I started putting melted chocolate in with the icing, but I see you don’t want that.

Our local baker charges £7.95 for their choc log. Looks fancier than mine, but I bet my sponge is better.

?

JackyB Thu 17-Dec-20 09:07:07

I haven't tried this but their recipes are usually very good and reliable. Even if you don't use all the components, the video is fun to watch.

youtu.be/TfTA1ZHd7J4

The ingredients are listed below the video, to see them you have to click on the "v", if you are not familiar with how YouTube works.

OceanMama Thu 17-Dec-20 09:01:11

I always used fresh whipped cream in the middle. Most sponge recipes will do as long as you have a sponge roll tin.

travelsafar Thu 17-Dec-20 08:33:39

Anyone got a tried and tested receipe for the above. I want to do just buttercream icing for the top and in the middle not melted chocolate.