Gransnet forums

Food

Apple flappen?

(12 Posts)
allanieew Wed 23-Dec-20 23:41:12

That's probably because the dutch have an even worse reputation than the english when it comes to cooking. Most people think dutch cuisine doesn't go a lot further than bubble and squeak for example (or any mashed greans with potatoes for that matter) but that's just because the 1960's and 70's ruined our tastebuds (sounds familiar?) But there are real gems hidden in our history, full of richly spiced dishes. And step by step the world will know about it, it started with stroopwaffles and who knows where it will end? (Probably with the lot of you enjoying chocolate sprinkles on your toast for breakfast just like the Dutch do ;)....)

Puzzler61 Wed 23-Dec-20 21:37:20

Oh, that’s interesting allanieew.
I think the Dutch have some scrummy sweet treats that are little known here compared to the likes of tiramisu, pannacotta and creme caramel from other countries.

allanieew Wed 23-Dec-20 20:34:43

Nigella was informed wrong, the recipe she gives you isn't the one for appelflappen. The ones she makes are indeed apple fritters (or in 'Dutch' appelbeignets. An appelflap is a triangular shaped pastry made with puff pastry filled with cubed apple, raisins sugar and cinnamon. And topped with a sprinkle of sugar. (And my family always add almond paste or just almonds aswell,)

Puzzler61 Wed 23-Dec-20 18:06:05

I would be pleased to have the equipment she has in her kitchen ? I thought her garden looked magical.
I enjoyed the programme last night much more than I expected to.

Shandy57 Wed 23-Dec-20 17:29:06

Ah - yes, cinnamon! Should be in all apple fritters, lovely! I wish I could make nice faces like Nigella when I'm cooking, she looks so pleased with it all smile

dragonfly46 Wed 23-Dec-20 15:40:48

Oliebollen just means balls cooked in deep oil.

dragonfly46 Wed 23-Dec-20 15:39:51

You traditionally eat Oliebollen at New Year in the Netherlands. You can buy them at stalls in the street. They are deep fried dough - plain, with currants or apple. They sprinkle them with icing sugar.

Puzzler61 Wed 23-Dec-20 15:33:30

Oliebollen (oily balls ?) were what Nigella called the Dutch round deep- fried doughnuts she made first, and secondly Appelflappen. I googled the apple ones for a translation and it can be apple flaps or apple fritters.
Yes they had cinnamon. Looked delish.

BBbevan Wed 23-Dec-20 14:57:52

Flappen is probably the Dutch equivalent of fritter.

Ellianne Wed 23-Dec-20 14:51:26

I think they're Dutch, maybe Christmassy? Did they have cinnamon in and look a bit like a pastry parcel?

Puzzler61 Wed 23-Dec-20 14:47:41

I don’t but I watched too and thought Nigella made some very nice food on the programme (except those red noodles!).
The other Dutch deep-fried dessert had an unusual name too.
But then this is the lady who called a microwave a
Mee-cro-wav-ah!

Shandy57 Wed 23-Dec-20 14:40:24

I've just watched the end of Nigella's show, and she was making 'apple flappen' - I'm sure my Grandma called these apple fritters! Anyone know the difference?