Gransnet forums

Food

Poorly food

(133 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Thu 07-Jan-21 19:37:14

My poor DH went to the dentist this morning for a check up and came back feeling very sorry for himself as he had had a tooth taken out. The side of his face was completely numb and he had a list of do's and dont's. By lunchtime he still looked as if he and Tyson Fury had had a disagreement. So I asked him if he fancied scrambled eggs to eat. Healthy and easy to eat. Suddenly his face lit up. "I know what I would really like. When I was little and poorly I always had...." I knew straight away what he was going to say because it was what I always had if I was poorly. Two soft boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with salt and butter!!. I don't know why the cup made it special, but it just isn't the same in a bowl. What was your "poorly food" when you were small?

Grandma11 Thu 07-Jan-21 21:54:54

Advacaat, but it had to be Warnicks, and My parents used to give me an eggcup full after each dose of horrible tasting medicine!
As I got older, it became freshly made Egg nogg, two whisked up raw eggs, sweetened with honey, and topped up with full cream milk, and finished with a splash of Sherry! It tasted quite nice, as long as you remembered to pass it through a sieve first to remove any lumpy bits left behind from the raw egg!

Pittcity Thu 07-Jan-21 22:02:47

Lucozade was only bought if we were ill.
Probably did us more harm than good.

Bluebellwould Thu 07-Jan-21 22:11:06

Frequent bouts of tonsillitis and the best food was beef paste sandwiches cut into fingers with the crusts cut off. Always served with a book to read which led to a lifetimes bad habit of needing to eat whilst reading.

Auntieflo Thu 07-Jan-21 22:16:58

I used to love soft boiled eggs, mashed up with bread and butter.
Oh, and the Calves foot jelly! Mum was so cross with me when I wouldn't eat it as a teenager, after my aunt presented me with a jar, at my bedside.

EllanVannin Thu 07-Jan-21 22:23:38

Anything was better than Slippery Elm or Parrish's Food- Yuk.

Maggiemaybe Thu 07-Jan-21 23:11:34

Chicken noodle or cream of tomato soup, Bovril, and Lucozade (of course).

And for a sore throat, butter and sugar with vinegar. Sounds awful but wasn’t. I suppose it was actually deconstructed toffee.

Callistemon Thu 07-Jan-21 23:15:30

Bread, sugar and warm milk.

I didn't really like it much.

Beef broth, that was better.
Then plaice cooked in milk with mashed potato when I felt a bit better.

Lexisgranny Thu 07-Jan-21 23:28:41

Bread and milk definitely! Also a bouillon cube in boiling water to which small squares of buttered toast, fried diced onion and pieces of cheese were added - the cheese melted, it sounds horrific but it was delicious specially when eaten in front of a roaring fire with the wind howling outside!

Jane43 Thu 07-Jan-21 23:38:23

I don’t remember any ‘poorly food’ when I was a child but my boys used to have oranges, lucozade and milk pudding (usually semolina).

Callistemon Thu 07-Jan-21 23:43:44

My mother had her trusty Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management to consult which has a section on food for invalids.

FannyCornforth Fri 08-Jan-21 06:41:37

GagaJo

Bread and milk here, too. Although that was also what the dog got if we ran out of dog food!

We used to give it to baby guinea pigs. (Guinea piglets?)
Mine is Heinz lentil soup with cubes of mild cheddar and chunks of bread and butter all mixed together. Yum.

I wish that I knew what DH's was!
I'm sick of trying to guess what he wants to eat confused

FannyCornforth Fri 08-Jan-21 06:44:29

Grandma11 advocaat! That's a cracker smile

Marydoll Fri 08-Jan-21 06:52:07

Mine was my mum's home made Scotch broth, strained through a sieve, along with a slice of Scottish plain bread.
Guess what I had the other day after I came home from hospital? Not my mum's of course! ?

FannyCornforth Fri 08-Jan-21 07:08:41

Mary did MrD make scotch broth for you? What an absolute diamond!

ayse Fri 08-Jan-21 07:30:45

Tinned tomato soup and wholemeal bread. Granny used to give me calves foot jelly from a jar. It was yummy.

Marydoll Fri 08-Jan-21 08:35:43

He made it under my orders tutelage! I've got to say, it was delicious.

Witzend Fri 08-Jan-21 08:43:50

My dh’s ‘poorly food’ was scrambled eggs and mashed potato.

I don’t recall any such thing in my family. I was evidently a deprived child!

Barmeyoldbat Fri 08-Jan-21 09:41:13

When I was a child it was bread and milk, now its helices with a droopy brandy in it.

Luckygirl Fri 08-Jan-21 09:50:05

If my children had a tummy upset, the first food they would have when recovering was "Fairy Bread" - white bread with crusts off, buttered and covered in sprinkles cake decorations. Then cut into tiny triangles - they loved it! But you had to time it very carefully so that it was not given too soon and simply thrown up!

I am struggling with all this egg in other people's posts - I hate egg - it makes me really nauseous and the idea of eating it mushed up in a cup is triggering my gag reflex - yuk!!

Phloembundle Fri 08-Jan-21 10:00:50

Lucozade. Wonderful stuff.

annodomini Fri 08-Jan-21 10:05:21

When I had an evil tropical tummy bug, the experienced doctor said I must not have milky drinks (OK by me - I dislike milk), dairy products and eggs. In other words, avoid proteins. I lived on white bread and honey for a few weeks and in the intervening 50 years have always relied on this diet when afflicted with 'winter vomiting' and the like. When we were little, Granny used to bring us her remedy, 'Bovril paste' - hard-boiled egg mashed up with Bovril - for everything including flu, measles, whooping cough and chickenpox! I liked it though I think my sisters had other ideas.

crazygranny Fri 08-Jan-21 10:07:15

Cream of chicken soup with slices of white bread torn up and mushed into it.

Rumpunch Fri 08-Jan-21 10:07:54

Poached egg on poached smoked haddock.

Cid24 Fri 08-Jan-21 10:08:21

Heinz Tomato soup and bread and butter ( thickly spread!). Got to be Heinz!

jaylucy Fri 08-Jan-21 10:12:33

Another one for Heinz tomato soup and Lucozade !
Also a boiled egg and soldiers, along with rice pudding!
Upset stomach? Toast was the thing, washed down with tonic water (cheaper than Lucozade that seemed to disappear off the shop shelves and only available from chemists for some reason)
To this day, toast is my go to comfort food, along with fish fingers, mashed potatoes and peas!