Gransnet forums

Food

Poorly food

(133 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Thu 07-Jan-21 19:37:14

My poor DH went to the dentist this morning for a check up and came back feeling very sorry for himself as he had had a tooth taken out. The side of his face was completely numb and he had a list of do's and dont's. By lunchtime he still looked as if he and Tyson Fury had had a disagreement. So I asked him if he fancied scrambled eggs to eat. Healthy and easy to eat. Suddenly his face lit up. "I know what I would really like. When I was little and poorly I always had...." I knew straight away what he was going to say because it was what I always had if I was poorly. Two soft boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with salt and butter!!. I don't know why the cup made it special, but it just isn't the same in a bowl. What was your "poorly food" when you were small?

Maggiemaybe Sat 09-Jan-21 17:53:09

I remember my friends having their tonsils out and loving the icecream afterwards. Like most of us I was down on the list to have mine removed, but never got the call. This must be the longest waiting list ever. hmm

Sarnia Sat 09-Jan-21 12:03:03

I had my tonsils and adenoids removed when I was 5. In those days I was given ice cream to eat post-op, to soothe my throat. Most homes in 1950 didn't have freezers, so being allowed so much ice-cream was a real treat.

Joni Sat 09-Jan-21 11:54:58

soft boiled eggs in a cup or tomato soup with white bread....I very seldom eat eggs but will still take tomato soup if unwellsmile

Shropshirelass Sat 09-Jan-21 09:37:04

Chicken soup (I can’t stand it now!), crisps, chocolate, bananas.

Now I don’t eat anything like that!

honeyrose Sat 09-Jan-21 09:34:31

I don’t remember any particular food we had as poorly food, but, ExD, I remember Kaolin and Morphine as a remedy for upset stomach (and I think diarrhoea too). I can still taste it now- very warming and comforting. When I was a teenager, I became slightly addicted to it and I remember my dad cautioning me about not having too much. It must have been the Morphine content!

JackyB Sat 09-Jan-21 09:02:51

I honestly don't remember what my mother gave us. We weren't ill much. And even more embarrassingly, I have no idea what I gave my children. But they weren't ill much either.

Doug1 Fri 08-Jan-21 22:45:52

I remember mine being soft boiled eggs in an egg cup with
lightly toasted soldiers to dunk and lucozade out of a bottle with the coloured wrapper

Grandmacosway3 Fri 08-Jan-21 22:03:45

As a child it was Farley's rusks with warm milk to 'mush' them up whenever I had my brace tightened.

Riggie Fri 08-Jan-21 21:47:09

Heinz Romato Soup. Its still a comfort food for me

Sarahmob Fri 08-Jan-21 21:39:05

Horlicks- I loved it then (and still do)

Lindaylou55 Fri 08-Jan-21 21:23:18

When I came home from after 7 days hospital food, 2 stents and a bad reaction to morphine, that was exactly the comfort food my daughter made me. 2 eggs in a cup with kid on butter and a slice of toast.

4xGranny Fri 08-Jan-21 21:20:25

My mum would make chicken soup when I was ill. The day after it would be a soft boiled egg and soldiers.

buylocal Fri 08-Jan-21 21:05:05

Bread and milk with a bit of sugar. Loved it and sometimes had it as a treat when well.

Lizbethann55 Fri 08-Jan-21 20:39:45

Gosh. I have loved reading these. I wonder how many of you have suddenly had a yearning to try your "poorly food" again. It's funny how many of you mentioned the egg mashed up in a cup. I do wonder what was so special about it being in a cup, but that was certainly part of its magic. I also had lucozade, bought from the chemist , in that strange orange cellophane. My "after the dentist" treat ( I was really phobic about him) was a chocolate cup cake, before they became just fancy buns. Was it Lyons who made them? They had a thick layer of icing on them and came in a box with pink or lemon ones. Heinz tomato soup has been a recently rediscovered pleasure and we usually have a couple of cans in the cupboard.

hugaby Fri 08-Jan-21 20:38:37

If we had a cold starting, my mother used to cut onions, sprinkle with sugar, put a weight on top and leave them to 'seep' overnight. Next morning we then had to drink the liquid from the onions - yuk! Perhaps that is why I really do not like onions now!!

hugaby Fri 08-Jan-21 20:32:56

Mashed bananas, sprinkle of demerara sugar and the cream off the top of the milk (in the good old days when milk was delivered on a daily basis in milk bottles)

mrswoo Fri 08-Jan-21 18:21:43

sputnik we too had “Jewish Penicillin” - chicken soup. It’s still my remedy of choice for all ills from broken hearts to broken limbs.

Alioop Fri 08-Jan-21 18:19:40

Oh I forgot about strawberry angel delight. Mum gave me it too.

Alioop Fri 08-Jan-21 18:18:50

My mum also give me boiled eggs mashed in a cup with butter and salt. Off school sick, lying on sofa with your eggy cup. Nowadays I make myself poached egg on toast if I'm not so good.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 08-Jan-21 17:44:44

Forgot about Farleys Rusks, really love them with hot milk

Musicgirl Fri 08-Jan-21 16:42:26

Heinz tomato soup or a boiled egg with toast (soldiers as a child).

Tangerine Fri 08-Jan-21 16:27:58

Lucozade to drink. I never fancied eating when ill as a child and I still feel much the same.

Romola Fri 08-Jan-21 16:19:40

Chocolate semolina for me

Calendargirl Fri 08-Jan-21 15:50:02

We always had Lucozade when poorly. Mum said “It either makes you sick or stops you feeling it”. Not sure how it helped if you weren’t bilious, but we loved it.

As for food, even though my dad had a poultry farm, we never had chicken, a real luxury. So if we were poorly, and Mum asked what we fancied to eat, we always said “chicken”.

Dad then had to slaughter one of the stock, an old hen past laying, Mum boiled it and served it with white sauce with nutmeg in.

I can taste it now!

?

Rosina Fri 08-Jan-21 15:43:05

A very small meal of steamed plaice with mashed potato and some peas to give colour, or Heinz tomato soup in a special bowl with a mound of buttery mash in the middle. That always got me eating again after nasty bouts of tonsillitis.