Gransnet forums

Food

Forgot to strain lemon juice

(46 Posts)
nadateturbe Sun 10-Jan-21 11:41:24

This is such a stupid question. Just made hummus. I know there was at least one pip in the juice. Should I just bin it?

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jan-21 13:20:48

Pecs I can assure you it's not. I'm not a great cook and I worry.
My children used to sing the theme tune to Butterflies as I brought food to the table.
I am attempting to learn some recipes during lockdown. I hated cooking so much that when I started work in the civil service I used to pretend I had to work late so that my husband would cook dinner before I came home.

Unigran4 Sun 10-Jan-21 13:21:23

When I was first married in the sixties, I cooked a roast chicken and veg for Sunday lunch, made husband's sandwiches with some slices the next day. Then cold chicken and salad for Monday evening and curry for Tuesday. I was so proud of my(economic and creative)self and decided to simmer the carcase for stock. Two hours of simmering later I deemed the stock ready, got the colander out of the cupboard, and carefully strained the bones - over the sink! Not so clever!

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jan-21 13:26:29

Unigran so funny.. that's the kind of thing I would do. But your menu sounds wonderful. I could not have done that.

When my husband married for the second time I remember him telling me his wife wasn't allowed in the kitchen while he cooked. I don't think he was prepared to risk it.

felice Sun 10-Jan-21 13:44:52

Not a silly question at all, I used to eat a seed bread here, I was taken very ill, could not stop vomitting at all, on my second week in Hospital I vommited a large seed into a metal bowl loudly. It was tested and had lodged in my gut and was fermenting. Maybye something in the old wives tale after all.

As for as asking questions about cooking I have been giving people advice all through lock down, particularly at Christmas when a lot of young people could not go home or were too responsible to want to put family at risk.
I was fine with it until a young Woman I know quite well asked me if I could explain how to make Scones. Her boyfriend a Brit wanted some like his Mother made.
Most of my replies were, try Mary Berry this time I told her to tell him to make them himself and call his Mother for instructions.
She did.

MawBe Sun 10-Jan-21 14:05:28

nadateturbe

Mawbe I have a husband to tell me what I should have done ?.

I think I'll stick to what I can do.

That’s a bit grudging- ndateturbe - it was a suggestion for next time.
Fail to see why it doesn’t fall into the category of what you can do - simple common sense.

Won’t bother in future. angry

MawBe Sun 10-Jan-21 14:12:49

Reminds me of these wonderful sketches (skip the ads)

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjthPfUxZHuAhWSiFwKHc02AyIQwqsBMAB6BAgQEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVJBpGrWr_o0&usg=AOvVaw1c8MtjTOoEVn44EHL0mTEh

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jan-21 14:13:27

Gosh Felice what a story! I'm sure you were relieved. I've heard strange stories of people inhaling seeds but not swallowing.

Isn't it strange how woman are still sometimes expected to fulfil traditional roles and are prepared to do it. I'm glad the young lady saw the sense in your advice..

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jan-21 14:25:46

Sorry Mawbe I was a bit rude. Every time I do something wrong my husband tells me what I should have done, which of course I already know, and you sounded so like him.

I did like the first sketch. (Although I'm not a posh mum). I really laughed at the olive oil bit because that was me this morning! I had three oils but not extra virgin and I very anxiously googled to see if it was ok to use another. Thanks for the link.

MawBe Sun 10-Jan-21 14:40:39

Yes you were nadateturbe but apology accepted. smile
It was kindly meant.
You sound very unconfident about your cooking- try to worry less!
My best was a big lunch party for just about everybody we knew when we moved into a new flat in Richmond. It was a buffet and I had cooked an enormous turkey to serve with salads etc.
Nobody had told me that turkeys have giblets in both ends!

Callistemon Sun 10-Jan-21 15:00:36

MawBe thank you for the link - how did I miss these gems! grin

"Overheard in Waitrose"

NotSpaghetti Sun 10-Jan-21 15:18:30

Pips make it taste bitter. I have done this myself. Not sure just one pop would be too bad.
Fish it out if it's not blended in and you happen to see it.
As you can see I'm not dead!

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jan-21 17:01:45

Thanks everyone.

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jan-21 17:23:50

Lisagran that's the recipe I used. It tasted nice. I think I'll give it another go. Will be easier next time.

PECS Sun 10-Jan-21 17:28:44

I make my own hummus too..various recipes.. but quickest is to use a tin of pease pudding as the base which gives a similar outcome to chickpeas..tinned or dried& boiled.

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jan-21 19:46:44

Thanks Pecs. I must look and see what pease pudding is.
I've only ever heard of it in a nursery rhyme.

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jan-21 19:49:41

Split peas..sounds good. thanks.

readsalot Sun 10-Jan-21 20:25:01

I would be proud of the pip as it showed I had gone to the trouble of making the hummus myself and that I had used fresh lemon juice, not bottled! How does it taste compared with bought?

nadateturbe Mon 11-Jan-21 00:12:18

The one I made was nice although some might want to add more lemon. It keeps a week in the fridge which is good. The bought one only keeps for three days which is a nuisance.

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Jan-21 01:10:00

It is WAY nicer than bought as starting from scratch (don't used canned chick peas - use dried, soaked cook) using quality olive oil, lots of lemon/garlic and a decent tahini is so delicious. Bought hummus rarely has as much oil. Obviously cost-cutting.

nadateturbe Mon 11-Jan-21 10:21:16

Noted NotSpaghetti. Thanks.