Gransnet forums

Food

Three ingredient fruit cake.

(15 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 15-Jan-21 19:45:35

I don’t understand it. If I look at cake I put on weight. Can never have puddings.

Christmas with puddings over the 3 days and a small amount of Christmas cake (froze the rest) I have put on 3lb. I already overweight, and yet there you all are gaily discussing all the delicious cake recipes.

It drives me mad!

MayBee70 Fri 15-Jan-21 19:31:09

shysal

*MayBee*, I can't remember how long the banana bread took to bake. After piling on extra weight I have cut back on the cake making!
I do like an all-in-one recipe though, hate creaming butter and sugar.

Yes. Me too. After maintaining my weight for months even with having my cake every day my weight has now started to creep up as a result of the cold wet weather making exercise more difficult. So I’m having to cut back. I bought some glacé cherries the other day to put in tea bread. I haven’t bought glacé cherries for years! I even like the process of cutting the baking paper to line my loaf tin which isn’t non stick.

varian Fri 15-Jan-21 14:26:29

We had a glut of apples so I made versions of this as "apple bread". I peel and chop a large quantity of apples and cook them in a covered bowl in the microwave. add sultanas or other dried fruit, cinnamon or mixed spice and a handful of All Bran, Allow to soak for an hour or so then combine with self-raising wholemeal or granary flour and an extra teaspoon of baking powder. Grease and line two 800g loaf tins and bake for 45- 50 mins at 180 deg c in a fan oven.,

It makes very heavy moist loaves which I slice, toast and butter well. I sometimes freeze some slices as I'm not sure how long it would keep.

Alishka Fri 15-Jan-21 13:21:04

PollyDolly

I had a look at the recipe and to be honest it's not that much different to a tealoaf recipe that I often make which only has 4 ingredient and the fruit is soaked in tea.

Think I might halve the recipe and give it a try, thanks for sharing ?

When I moved to the UK I lived in wildest Glos.and had limited access to shops. A lady in the village gave me the recipe for that tealoaf recipe, using tea. She called it Elf Cake (cos with so few ingredients the Elves had made it overnight.) So I'd soak the dried fruit during the day, bake it during the evening when kiddo was in bed, and in the morning, voila! the Elves had worked their magic overnight!grin
Thanks for the memory!

shysal Fri 15-Jan-21 13:09:57

MayBee, I can't remember how long the banana bread took to bake. After piling on extra weight I have cut back on the cake making!
I do like an all-in-one recipe though, hate creaming butter and sugar.

MayBee70 Fri 15-Jan-21 12:10:53

I really hate the process of mixing the eggs with the sugar: it tends to curdle if I don’t add a bit of flour. That’s why I like shysal’s banana bread recipe! Although it seems to take longer to cook than the recommended time on the recipe. I’ve been meaning to ask shysal about that. My daily slice of cake is the highlight of my day these groundhog days.

Elegran Fri 15-Jan-21 12:02:32

From the three ingredients (1kg of mixed dried fruit, 600ml,choccolate milk, 2 cups self-raising flour) it sounds to me as though it is going to turn out pretty stodgy and/or gludgy, and not rise much. The high proportion of fruit will make it taste sweet, but it will be pretty heavy. Rather like the Allbran "regularity" cake.
What is wrong with "normal" recipes with only one or two other ingredients? For instance, the "boiled fruitcake" I have made successfully for the last 60 years? Mixed fruit, SR flour, margarine, eggs, sugar - only five ingredients (plus water) and no more work.

I'll be interested to hear the verdict after posters have tried it.

MayBee70 Fri 15-Jan-21 11:51:32

Polly: I think we both have the same tea loaf recipe. I’ve used it a lot recently as it uses less eggs than most cakes and I’m always worried about running out of eggs. Could I make chocolate milk with semi skimmed and cocoa or drinking chocolate? I’d really like to try this recipe but using a loaf tin (which is all I’ve got).

seacliff Fri 15-Jan-21 11:40:48

Oh it looks delicious. I do not have chocolate milk though, would tea be OK? I may add some to my next order.

Looking forward to hearing if any of you try it.

Redhead56 Fri 15-Jan-21 11:34:08

Yes it sounds similar to a Welsh tea bread Bara Brith. I got a recipe from mums net years ago for a microwave chocolate cake. I am not very keen on microwave cooking but I have to say I have made it ever since it is really good.

PollyDolly Fri 15-Jan-21 11:18:09

I had a look at the recipe and to be honest it's not that much different to a tealoaf recipe that I often make which only has 4 ingredient and the fruit is soaked in tea.

Think I might halve the recipe and give it a try, thanks for sharing ?

shysal Fri 15-Jan-21 11:14:22

What a good idea EV, I will make a half measure for myself to try, perhaps in a loaf tin!

EllanVannin Fri 15-Jan-21 11:08:49

Give it a try for yourself and see how it goes. The finished article certainly looks alright.
Many years ago I remember using a " teacup " recipe for a cake and it never failed.

Redhead56 Fri 15-Jan-21 11:07:37

Well I am going to try that recipe thanks for the link.

shysal Fri 15-Jan-21 11:01:35

Has anyone tried a recipe like this? It sounds too easy to be true. My grandson has requested a small fruit cake for his birthday and I don't really want the palava of baking a Christmas-type one.
thelinkssite.com/2016/07/22/3-ingredient-fruit-cake/