Gransnet forums

Food

Vegans please explain why honey is wrong

(68 Posts)
annodomini Sun 17-Jan-21 12:39:25

My son is a committed vegan and I have argued with him about the exclusion of honey from the vegan diet. I can't imagine that the bees feel hard done by for supplying humans with their honey. I know very little of the process of beekeeping, but I would argue that beekeepers are doing the environment a favour in that if bees were not around to pollinate crops, we would have (and perhaps will have) serious food shortages.
I feel the same way about eggs. I abhor industrial egg production, but what's wrong with eating eggs that are produced by humanely treated hens?

Gingster Mon 18-Jan-21 08:34:26

Joke- How do you know when someone is a vegan?

They tell you!?

FannyCornforth Mon 18-Jan-21 08:43:50

Calendargirl

A vegetarian I know eats fish, does that make her a flexitarian?

Why is it ok to eat fish but not meat?

No. She is a pescatarian, as am I. Not a vegetarian. I usually say that I'm a vegetarian though, because not all people know what a pescatarian is.

There's no right / wrong, it's just a choice.

A flexatarian (which is a totally made up word) describes someone who eats vegetarian food some of the time.
Which is a stupid concept because everyone is a flexatarian unless they are a full time carnivore.

FannyCornforth Mon 18-Jan-21 08:56:28

I was a strict vegetarian from the age of 11, and started eating fish again in my mid 20s. I can't really remember why. I don't eat it very often and there are only a few types of fish that I eat.

Lucretzia Mon 18-Jan-21 09:05:21

Do the vegans who won't eat honey know about the devastation to bees in the making of almond milk?

www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/07/honeybees-deaths-almonds-hives-aoe

Avocado crops?

www.veganlifemag.com/vegan-myths-avocados-arent-vegan/

There's no way of surviving without us causing harm to some other creature.

Nannytopsy Mon 18-Jan-21 09:09:41

DiL is a vegan but keeps hens and ducks. Their eggs are the only source of animal protein in her diet.

Lucretzia Mon 18-Jan-21 09:15:05

Just googled about eating eggs from your own hens.

The Vegan Society says it is behind rehoming hens. “Rescuing battery hens is a wonderful, compassionate practice that the Vegan Society absolutely endorses,” says spokesperson Jimmy Pierce. Unsurprisingly, however, it doesn’t support eating their produce. “We ask people to show their support by giving their time or donations, rather than buying the eggs to eat. Eggs are not ours to take – hens can’t give consent.”

vegansrock Mon 18-Jan-21 09:18:46

Lucrezia I know about almond milk and prefer to use oat milk, as at least oats can be grown here in the U.K. and there are some home produced oat milks. The environmental impact of all plant milks are way lower than animal milk though. I’m not a fan of avocados due to air miles and the other ethical issues involved. ( btw it’s not just vegans who eat avocados and almonds). I would think most vegans do care about the provenance of their food, thanks, and of course producing any kind of food has some environmental impact. What many vegans try to do is the least harm, not no harm, it’s not a perfect world but just because perfection is impossible isn’t an excuse for doing nothing.

Luckygirl Mon 18-Jan-21 09:33:19

Gingster - love that!!

As I said before, we cannot tread so lightly on the world that we make no impact on other creatures at all - this is how the world is designed: for the stronger to kill and eat the weak.

I doesn't feel great - but then it is not our design.

FannyCornforth Mon 18-Jan-21 09:47:21

Luckygirl when I think about that, ie. the fact that the whole of life on Earth is reliant upon the painful death of other creatures, really makes me question the existence of God.

vegansrock Mon 18-Jan-21 10:00:15

I don’t think we can blame God for the horrible way some creatures are treated+by humans. Some humans ( not all) have a choice. We are lucky in the west to have relatively abundant choices, but maybe have to question some of those choices concerning their impact on the planet. This makes some people defensive about their choices. It works both ways.

FannyCornforth Mon 18-Jan-21 10:13:18

vegansrock
No, that wasn't my point. I'm not talking about humans.
I'm talking about the cruelty of other animals and nature.
Their life depends upon the death of other creatures.
Think any carnivorous / omnivorous animal.

annodomini Mon 18-Jan-21 10:20:39

Thanks, Gingster, I must use that definition on the family Whatsap!

NfkDumpling Mon 18-Jan-21 12:52:42

Sheepandcattle

I’m probably a bit of an oddity in that I’m a vegetarian but also a beef and lamb farmer! I strongly believe that my livestock lead the best, most natural life they can lead - far better than many domestic ‘pets’. It is my job to ensure that they are safe from harm, are never hungry or thirsty, that medical needs are met promptly, and that they are treated with respect and compassion, and that at the end, they have ‘a good death’. The land I farm produces excellent grass for livestock, but it’s not suitable for growing arable crops. I look after our grass pastures because it produces the food for my animals, both in summer and as hay and silage in the winter months. The only additional feed they have is feed for the ewes for the 6 weeks up to lambing and for the calves in the run up to weaning. Farmers seem to be disproportionately blamed for damage to the environment whilst no one, for examples, bats an eye at house owners digging up their front gardens to lay a block paving drive to park their second car! Looking after our planet is such a huge issue and it’s down to everyone to consider their part.

Thank you for that Sheepandcattle. You forgot to add the advantages of well maintain mixed pasture land on biodiversity and that it adds as much (often more) carbon storage than woodland!

There are several farms around here which are grouping together to operate a sort of semi-rewilding which is interesting.

I'm fortunate that I live in an area where I can obtain good outdoor raised, organic, and locally slaughtered meat. I do have a problem with eating fish though, unless its caught by a friend from the end of the pier and straight away bonked on the head. I hate that fish isn't killed cleanly.

Luckygirl Mon 18-Jan-21 13:02:04

We do have choices about the way that we interact with the animal kingdom; but in the end we do not have a choice about the laws of nature. All animals other than ourselves just kill for survival - it is what it is.

We can do it humanely with as little detrimental effect on the environment; but in the end it is what we are programmed to do.

NfkDumpling Mon 18-Jan-21 13:02:34

There are several farms around here which are grouping together to operate a sort of semi-rewilding which is interesting.

Its called 'Wildeast'. Has an interesting Facebook page.

vegansrock Mon 18-Jan-21 13:38:37

Lions and eagles may not have a choice in what they eat and are driven by instinct. Some humans , however, do have a choice in what they eat and many choose a more plant based diet, increasingly for ethical and environmental reasons. Humans do not have to kill any particular creatures in order to eat them, they may choose to but they also may choose not to - neither is more “ natural”.

NfkDumpling Sat 23-Jan-21 14:19:56

Quite Vegan. It should be a matter of choice.

At present though, there is a media bandwagon pushing plants good, meat - or anything connected with animal life - bad. If you eat anything which didn't have a root somewhere, you're a selfish, bad person bent on destroying the earth. It won't be long before eating seeds is seen as eating and killing the unborn plant.

Gingster's joke is quite on the mark!