Gransnet forums

Food

Love or hate them?

(78 Posts)
Nellie098 Thu 28-Jan-21 13:17:49

Apparently M&S have just brought out a Marmite and cheese hot cross bun and also a Marmite butter. They don't have any currants in them. Has anyone seen these in their store or been able to try them?

SecondhandRose Sat 30-Jan-21 09:49:29

I love Marmite but not with other stuff added to it. A Marmite and cheese toastie is perfect or added to my spag bol.

Shortlegs Sat 30-Jan-21 09:50:42

Marmite - The devil's food.

Missingmoominmama Sat 30-Jan-21 09:53:56

Crumpets with marmite, cheese and black pepper are amazing.

I don’t fancy it in the consistency of a hot cross bun though.

henetha Sat 30-Jan-21 09:54:10

I've got to be in the mood for Marmite... usually I hate the stuff, but occasionally, late evening sometimes, I suddenly get a whim to have it on toast. So I always keep some in stock in case this whim attacks me.
I don't think I fancy Marmite with other stuff added.....

Gwyneth Sat 30-Jan-21 09:54:21

Saw them in M&S yesterday but didn’t buy any. Thought it would be strange having hot cross buns without currants but do love Marmite so May give them a try.

Elegran Sat 30-Jan-21 09:56:54

Cheese-and-marmite bread is very tasty but in a hot cross bun? hmm

GreenGran78 Sat 30-Jan-21 10:01:10

Daddima. Marmite rice cakes? A double YUK from me. Marmite is vile, and eating rice cakes are very similar to eating polystyrene (not that I ever have!)
I like my hot cross buns old-fashioned style, with lots of butter! Delicious!

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 30-Jan-21 10:01:13

A hot cross bun does not have cheese and marmite in it! You are describing a cheese and marmite bun. It’s almost like offering a slice of cheese and marmite chocolate cake - but there’s no chocolate in it...

cc Sat 30-Jan-21 10:11:03

Love it on thick cold butter on bread and also on crumpets. Sadly no butter in our fridge as DH is supposed to avoid saturated fat!

mar76 Sat 30-Jan-21 10:39:28

I use marmite extract in my beef casseroles. It really makes a difference. One tablespoon to a pint of water.

Kim19 Sat 30-Jan-21 10:45:23

Good old Marksy! Always trying something new. I'll give one a try. I've been pleasantly surprised by their combinations in the past. Confess to not exactly fancying this one but curiosity will win the day. Oh yessss.....

Cuckooz Sat 30-Jan-21 10:48:19

They sound awful ? but each to their own

Scottydog6857 Sat 30-Jan-21 11:00:08

They sound utterly vile, but then I absolutely hate Marmite and can't eat cheese due to lactose intolerance! ?? I much prefer the traditional hot cross buns to any of the newer varieties! I suppose these ones might be OK for lovers of Marmite, and cheese! ?

varian Sat 30-Jan-21 11:06:27

French onion soup is traditionally made with a strong beef stock but I make a vegetarian version using vegetable stock strengthened with a spoonful of Marmite.

Theoddbird Sat 30-Jan-21 11:11:37

Marmite with cheese is lovely smile

Twopence Sat 30-Jan-21 11:13:07

Don't like the sound of Marmite hot cross buns. I am a fan of Marmite and cucumber sandwiches. We used to have Marmite spread on bread then fried with a breakfast fry-up at my Aunt's house when I was a youngster, must try that again sometime.

Alioop Sat 30-Jan-21 11:27:14

Hate the stuff! I've heard M&S are doing Percy Pig pancakes for Shrove Tuesday, now I might like them having a sweet tooth, although some are finding the thought of them revolting.

riccib123 Sat 30-Jan-21 11:30:37

Have had the marmite butter...it's delicious although very expensive for the size and what it is. I tried making my own, you just need a few 'try outs' while you get the balance right

Bazza Sat 30-Jan-21 11:32:04

Marmite=savoury, hot cross buns=sweet, so no no no. Stop messing with hot cross buns M&S! If anyone wants marmite on them, and each to their own after all, they can put it on themselves.

GreyKnitter Sat 30-Jan-21 11:47:46

I love marmite. One of favourite things is marmite on crumpets with scrambled egg and smoked salmon! Our Christmas Day breakfast. I also put marmite in my macaroni cheese the other day and that was very nice. However.......... I really don’t think I’d like it in a hot cross bun and with no fruit in it then it wouldn’t really be a hot cross bun IMO.

jocork Sat 30-Jan-21 11:49:43

FannyCornforth

muse

...a M+S hmm

I think that an M&S may actually be correct.
This is definitely one for pendants' corner.
(Please note my carefully placed apostrophe!)

I think you'll find it's pedants' corner not pendants'.

Sorry - I'm one of them. My daughter once apologised on facebook for correcting someone's grammar, saying she was brought up by the grammar police - me! hmm

janipans Sat 30-Jan-21 12:00:39

When I was at school my favourite packed lunch sandwich was marmite and crunchy peanut butter. Haven't had one for ages but after reading this post will put the crunchy peanut butter on my next Sainsbury's order.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 30-Jan-21 12:57:42

I like Marmite, but I agree with other people on here that these buns aren't hot cross buns, which are made to a long established traditional recipe for a sweet bun.
Sorry to digress slightly but M&S previously brought out a rather riskily named advert for Santa's yum nuts (those with grubby minds like mine will have had all sorts of questionable mental images from that), and I believe they're doing something similar for Valentines day, though I suppose they should be credited with trying to come up with new ideas.

Camelotclub Sat 30-Jan-21 13:21:21

I saw and cheese and chilli hot cross bun in M&S. Didn't buy it.

LinAnn52 Sat 30-Jan-21 13:30:42

We tried the cheese and chilli ones, warmed through and spread with butter. Delicious!