Gransnet forums

Food

Do you tip for online deliveries?

(43 Posts)
polomint Tue 16-Feb-21 17:27:45

I tip the driver if we get an indian or chinese meal delivered but I havnt tipped the driver when I have my online grocery delivered. I've only been getting my groceries delivered since lockdown. What is the standard procedure? Do you tip or not? My husband says no we dont need to do that

NotTooOld Tue 16-Feb-21 17:29:37

I think your husband is right.

BlueBelle Tue 16-Feb-21 17:50:11

No not at all, why ? Do you tip the bus driver ?

WW010 Tue 16-Feb-21 17:54:52

No never. Had never even considered it. Even for takeaway deliveries. Admit I’m a bit wrong footed now wondering if I should have been. ?

Eviebeanz Tue 16-Feb-21 17:59:56

I haven't ever tipped the delivery driver for grocery deliveries (been having groceries delivered for years) but have sometimes thought I wanted to during lockdown cos they seem to work so hard and it saves us such a lot of hassle - but haven't as not been sure what the amount should be

Eviebeanz Tue 16-Feb-21 18:01:01

Have always tipped the delivery driver when getting take away but don't now as we order through just eat

polomint Tue 16-Feb-21 18:08:42

My husband isnt a believer of tipping anyone but I think there are times you should. I know it's their job, but they have been out in all weathers. A little kindness is surely ok. I dont like it when people expect a tip.
Do you tip hairdressers * bluebelle*? Just curious since I've mentioned tipping although I was mainly interested in grocery deliveries

BlueBelle Tue 16-Feb-21 18:20:44

I don’t tip Polomint and no, I m not a mean person but I think it’s an outdated system that is vastly unfair I have a child who works in the NHS does she/he do a lesser job than a hairdresser or delivery man I have a grandchild working nights, outside -7, helping to build green energy no one tips them
Why would you tip a waiter but not a cook
Why would you tip a taxi driver not a bus or tube driver ?
Why would you tip a hairdresser but not the shop assistant
It’s all too unfair and outdated in my opinion
Its exactly because I think all hard workers deserve kindness and thanks is why I don’t play into this unfair system
Hope that explains my feelings

Missfoodlove Tue 16-Feb-21 18:23:38

I put a tin of sweets or chocolates out at Easter and Christmas with a note to help themselves.
It’s well received.

mokryna Tue 16-Feb-21 18:30:32

I did once after last year’s lockdown. He’s a one man hairdresser having to pay rates etc.

polomint Tue 16-Feb-21 18:41:38

Yes I understand . It's a difficult situation. You either tip or you dont and it is unfair on all the workers who are not in a position to be tipped anyway. It's a throw back to the upper class society I think.

ElaineI Tue 16-Feb-21 23:45:33

No!

Lollin Wed 17-Feb-21 08:27:45

Having this chat with a friend a while ago and she told me In days of old people would give nurses boxes of biscuits or chocolates as they were collecting their relative to say thanks to those who had cared for them but of course this wasn’t done in the night so night staff would go unrecognised. Of course it can be the ones behind the scenes who fail to receive thanks but no I no longer tip. It makes me feel awkward. Definitely feels like a throw back as polomint said.

sodapop Wed 17-Feb-21 08:35:13

I agree with BlueBelle and others, tipping is so selective, we should be more concerned about workers being paid the rate for their job.

suziewoozie Wed 17-Feb-21 08:47:45

sodapop

I agree with BlueBelle and others, tipping is so selective, we should be more concerned about workers being paid the rate for their job.

But because it’s selective, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it does it? And concern for workers getting paid properly isn’t really having a huge impact is it ? But having said that, there’s no right or wrong answer re tipping. Addressing the OP, yes I do because I think it’s the right thing to do. It’s that simple - it’s not objectively right or wrong. Last week when the weather was so awful and conditions treacherous, I doubled the tip.

Humbertbear Wed 17-Feb-21 09:21:48

We only tip the delivery driver if it’s a very big delivery that they have carried up our drive and front steps. However they are often off on the next delivery before we have a chance to thank them. We always tip the people who deliver takeaways. And if my DH is in hospital for more than a couple of days I always give the staff a gift of chocolates of biscuits and just hope the night staff get some too. One time, after a long stay, I bought a lot of mini toiletries for them to share. That said, after a 9 day stay in ICU in Montana (don’t ask) we sent the department three CD players for the patients as they only had one. Judging by the thank you letter, I don’t think people in America give gifts to hospital staff at all.

lemongrove Wed 17-Feb-21 10:27:42

No, have never tipped delivery drivers ( we don’t have meals delivered, just items.)
Only tip our window cleaner at Christmas, because we know him well, or hairdressers when they do a great job.

JaneJudge Wed 17-Feb-21 10:29:30

Only at Christmas

Millie22 Wed 17-Feb-21 10:33:05

Err no.

Calendargirl Wed 17-Feb-21 10:39:15

Do you tip the checkout assistant at the supermarket?

timetogo2016 Wed 17-Feb-21 10:54:16

A big no from me and dh.

sodapop Wed 17-Feb-21 12:53:56

Sorry suziewoozie we are not going to agree on this. I just don't see the point in playing lady bountiful and tipping some workers and not others. If I have money to spare I would sooner give it to a local charity.

MayBee70 Wed 17-Feb-21 12:59:53

I told the people at the indie vegetable fruit and veg shop that deliver to us to add some money to my bill and buy themselves some wine or chocolates for themselves at Christmas. They seemed genuinely touched by it even though I thank them profusely each week. We don’t tip the Tesco’s delivery driver but again make it clear how grateful we are. We also have to sometimes fill in an online questionnaire about how good our delivery was and we tell the drivers that they’ll be mentioned in dispatches.

suziewoozie Wed 17-Feb-21 13:00:29

sodapop

Sorry suziewoozie we are not going to agree on this. I just don't see the point in playing lady bountiful and tipping some workers and not others. If I have money to spare I would sooner give it to a local charity.

I couldn’t careless whether you agree with me or me. But I object to your nasty sneering lady bountiful comment . You have not idea of how I spend my money and on what. I made it clear in my post that I thought there was no objective answer to this and unlike you have not criticised posters who behave differently.

cornishpatsy Wed 17-Feb-21 13:18:09

I only tip the car wash people, most are not even on minimum wage. I make sure I give it to the person that washes the car rather than the person collecting payment.