Gransnet forums

Food

Do you tip for online deliveries?

(44 Posts)
polomint Tue 16-Feb-21 17:27:45

I tip the driver if we get an indian or chinese meal delivered but I havnt tipped the driver when I have my online grocery delivered. I've only been getting my groceries delivered since lockdown. What is the standard procedure? Do you tip or not? My husband says no we dont need to do that

Artaylar Wed 17-Feb-21 14:59:58

We live in a rural area and our delivery drivers of items and shopping (no meals delivered) tend to be regulars. For the past few years we've given each of them a sizeable tip at Xmas (£20) together with a card and a bottle of wine.

Does anyone remember when dustbin men used to be tipped at Xmas ?

suziewoozie Wed 17-Feb-21 15:27:39

Artaylar

We live in a rural area and our delivery drivers of items and shopping (no meals delivered) tend to be regulars. For the past few years we've given each of them a sizeable tip at Xmas (£20) together with a card and a bottle of wine.

Does anyone remember when dustbin men used to be tipped at Xmas ?

I still tip ours at Christmas and at the height of the first lockdown my street full of lords and ladies bountiful had a collection for our postman and binmen. Of course we gave up helping starving children and neglected donkeys that week.

Daisymae Wed 17-Feb-21 15:38:18

No. Only for the Christmas delivery this year as it's been hard for everyone.

Daisymae Wed 17-Feb-21 15:39:22

I tip refuse collectors at Christmas too.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 17-Feb-21 15:42:10

Yep, we tip the person that washes our vehicles, hairdressers, although obviously not at the moment! Take away dels, and at Christmas our milkman

Rosalyn69 Wed 17-Feb-21 16:40:26

Goodness no. But I am always polite and say thank you.

sodapop Wed 17-Feb-21 16:46:28

suziewoozie my comment was not aimed at you personally, just a general observation.

suziewoozie Wed 17-Feb-21 16:50:55

sodapop

suziewoozie my comment was not aimed at you personally, just a general observation.

It clearly was aimed at me and was nasty and sneering and completely uncalled for. Had I criticised non tippers, then it might have been fair comment but it was not in any way shape or form acceptable whether aimed at me or any other lady bountifuls on this thread. Shameful

sodapop Wed 17-Feb-21 17:05:41

Enough already, suziewoozie think you are over reacting but hey ho I can take it,

OnwardandUpward Wed 17-Feb-21 17:14:26

When I use Deliveroo to get my shopping or takeaway I do because the drivers earn so little.

Doodledog Wed 17-Feb-21 17:24:59

I round up for things when I pay cash (takeaway delivery, taxis etc) but if I've paid a delivery charge by card and the service charge is included then I don't. This applies to supermarket deliveries and JustEat or similar orders where there is a delivery charge at point of sale.

Hairdressers are awkward - I sometimes take a box of chocolates in when I have my Christmas cut, or if I happen to know the date of their birthday, but otherwise I don't. It seems a bit feudal, somehow.

suziewoozie Wed 17-Feb-21 17:29:56

sodapop

Enough already, suziewoozie think you are over reacting but hey ho I can take it,

Think what you want - your post was horrible whether it was personal or a general observation. Totally unacceptable mean minded and petty. And if you can take it why are you saying enough already?

Artaylar Wed 17-Feb-21 17:35:53

suziewoozie, like you I'm a tipper, though sodapop's view is a legitimate one, and no need to take any offence over it.

My closest friend and I have holidayed in some very poor countries, she is very much an 'anti tipper' and I can appreciate all the reasons why. It dosent stop me tipping though, nor her calling me Mrs Philanthropic all during the holiday.

We still love one another to bits though.

suziewoozie Wed 17-Feb-21 17:45:59

Artaylar

suziewoozie, like you I'm a tipper, though sodapop's view is a legitimate one, and no need to take any offence over it.

My closest friend and I have holidayed in some very poor countries, she is very much an 'anti tipper' and I can appreciate all the reasons why. It dosent stop me tipping though, nor her calling me Mrs Philanthropic all during the holiday.

We still love one another to bits though.

The language she used was sneering. It’s perfectly possible to criticise tipping without using the phrase she did or suggest tippers don’t give to charity. And particularly as no tipper in the thread had sneered at non tippers. I won’t change my mind on this so there’s no,point really in discussing it further.

Grannyboots1 Wed 17-Feb-21 17:48:41

No, I don’t tip for online deliveries. I did tip our lovely postman this year. DH and I have our prescriptions delivered, and the parcels can be quite large.

suziewoozie Wed 17-Feb-21 18:29:30

Just had this PM delivered to my inbox. Nice.

Hi Christine

Just stood up for you on the tipping thread with the suziewoozie one.

Blimey, some peeps don't half take umbrage over nothing.

Hope everything is ok with you.

Bestest
Tracy

bikergran Wed 17-Feb-21 21:53:47

In the supermarket I work in, we are not allowed to take/accept any gifts, monies etc. I would imagine it also means the delivery drivers, although we do have customers leaving tins of chockies, sweets etc on the podium.

bikergran Wed 17-Feb-21 21:56:26

I did have a young man who bought some shopping and several cream eggs! After paying as he was leaving he said here you are that's for you and gave me a cream egg smile