Gransnet forums

Food

What “popular”food have you never even tasted?

(103 Posts)
Shinamae Wed 17-Feb-21 17:21:50

Personally I have never had a Pizza,a kebab,sweet corn or a Jaffa cake/chocolate orange...

NotAGran55 Wed 17-Feb-21 18:40:14

I have never eaten a McDonalds burger or anything from KFC.
These are what I would call ‘popular’ rather than things like snails and octopus.

Mollygo Wed 17-Feb-21 18:40:45

I’ve tasted most things, but I’d never again eat whelks, snails, horse meat, squid or steak tartare.

Pantglas2 Wed 17-Feb-21 18:41:58

I’ll eat (almost) anything once and most things I eat will be repeats. Rare for me to dislike anything although I’m not keen on marzipan, sprouts and snails!

TerriBull Wed 17-Feb-21 19:14:37

Oysters, I don't think I've any desire to eat anything that comes out of the ocean raw.

I hadn't tried Nutella until recently, I wouldn't buy it for my children, but when grandchildren requested it recently, I caved in. I didn't think I'd like it, but what a revelation it's deeply moreish, I have been known to use it in sandwiching a chocolate sponge cake or two together.

HurdyGurdy Wed 17-Feb-21 19:17:59

I should NOT have opened this thread grin

Was going to have Lamb Tagine tonight, but nope - it's a kebab for us now! I've not even got the ingredients in for a home made "elephant's foot", so will have to send DH off to the local kebab shop.

As for popular foods I've not tried. Well, I think I've tried most of the popular ones, although a fair few, only once! I didn't like Sushi at all. I was given a gift card for Nandos after confessing that I'd never had one. Well now I have had one. I won't be having a second wink . Scallops I've had once, but wouldn't rule out having them again.

Ashcombe Wed 17-Feb-21 19:21:18

Doner kebab
Sushi
Oysters
Lobster

Greyduster Wed 17-Feb-21 19:37:40

A pot noodle! I bought one once, intending to see what I was missing. Opened it, poured in the water, took one look and tipped it in the bin!

crazyH Wed 17-Feb-21 19:39:13

Kippers

sodapop Wed 17-Feb-21 19:41:54

Kebab
Octopus
Horse meat
Sushi

I really get on my husband's nerves because I am so reluctant to try different foods, he will give most things a go.

GagaJo Wed 17-Feb-21 21:58:08

Lobster, oysters, horse, kebab meat.

But I HAVE tried jellyfish and stinky tofu. The first was not good, but the second was nice!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 17-Feb-21 22:05:03

I will always try an ingredient or food item, if you do not try how do you know whether or not you like or dislike it?

Sara1954 Wed 17-Feb-21 22:13:58

Steak

glammagran Wed 17-Feb-21 22:16:40

Redhead56 my husband is allergic to crab, cod, haddock, salmon and tuna. He is fine with lobster, clams, prawns, sea bass/bream and plaice. Work that one out! He really misses fish and chips. These allergies suddenly kicked in when he hit 60.

I’ve never had a McDonalds and never will.

gulligranny Wed 17-Feb-21 22:23:43

I do try things (mostly) before dismissing them, and I just can't stand avocados or blue cheese. We don't go for fast food, but I have had and enjoyed KFC in the past.

Aveline Wed 17-Feb-21 22:27:33

Mussels.

LauraNorder Wed 17-Feb-21 22:33:00

Will try most things once so have had all the popular stuff except that horrible looking ‘meat’ referred to as a doner kebab. I wouldn’t try the blue ice cream that children seem to love.
I will not eat insects, vermin, dog, cat or horse but fortunately none of these are popular in the UK

paddyanne Thu 18-Feb-21 01:23:37

Toad in the hole..sausages in batter seems very odd to me ,its certainly not something I ever came across as a child,in fact sausages in my mind are breakfast food..usually square sausage on a roll .I cant even bring myself to try the batter with sausage in it I always think it must be greasy and uninspiring .

FannyCornforth Thu 18-Feb-21 02:18:51

NotAGran55

I have never eaten a McDonalds burger or anything from KFC.
These are what I would call ‘popular’ rather than things like snails and octopus.

Same here, on both counts.
I don't think that I've even seen snails or octopus on a menu.
I haven't eaten an omelette either, or scrambled, fried or poached eggs.
There are probably lots of types of fruit too that I haven't tried.
I've tried cat food though!

FarNorth Thu 18-Feb-21 03:28:57

Anything from MacDonald's, KFC or Pizza Hut.

FarNorth Thu 18-Feb-21 03:30:02

I have eaten octopus, from a tin, once.

BlueBelle Thu 18-Feb-21 06:09:46

How strange, a lot of things people here shun I really like
Love a pot noodle if I m looking for a snack
I think I ve eaten everything at one time or another although I stopped eating meat a few years ago I didn’t like sushi when I tried it and have never been anywhere where snails were on the menu
Certainly tried all modern food like macD s Nando’s pizzas kebabs and kfc when I did eat meat
I will try anything once I can’t think of anything I ve been offered and not tried once
I bought a tin of jackfruit to try but didn’t like it but it may have been the make or something I ve never seen a ‘live’ jackfruit to buy
What are humbles then ?

nanna8 Thu 18-Feb-21 06:53:27

I’ve eaten practically everything, love oysters to bits but when we were in Vietnam I wouldn’t eat “chien” woof woof or those deep fried tarantulas they have in Cambodia. Only one of our party tried those. I haven’t eaten durian but have had a durian drink.

soos45 Thu 18-Feb-21 07:07:04

I just can't take olives for some reason....yet I'll try most other things--oysters I can take or leave, but love most other fish and seafood. Have tried crocodile meat and mopani worms...OK, but wouldn't make a regular thing of it.
Love most veggies and meats and would settle for a proper roast beef dinner with the trimmings any day!!!

grandmajet Thu 18-Feb-21 07:27:35

I've never had a kebab.
I think humbles may be a word for offal - heart, lungs, liver etc - from ‘humble pie’, a medieval meat pie.

Nell8 Thu 18-Feb-21 08:31:34

I've never eaten - Nando's, mushy peas, jellied eels, sushi

I couldn't bring myself to try a Deep Fried Mars Bar. That intense blast of fat and sugar would probably finish me off!