Gransnet forums

Food

What's your favourite pie?

(123 Posts)
StellaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 04-Mar-21 11:39:20

It's been brought to our attention that it's British Pie Week! So we wanted to do a very scientific poll to see which is the most popular on Gransnet? Home-made, store bought, sweet, savoury?
Beef and stilton, chicken and ham, spinach and feta?
Lemon meringue, apple and pear? Post below and tell us.
If you're looking for inspiration, we've got a few delicious recipes here.

LauraNorder Thu 04-Mar-21 13:46:46

Home made - Orlin’s spicy mince and onion pie.
Shop bought - Birdseye chicken pie.
My home made rhubarb or gooseberry pie. Orlin has it with custard I prefer cream.

GrandmasueUK Thu 04-Mar-21 13:57:31

I’ve recently made cheese and onion pies - Simon Hopkinson has a lovely traditional recipe, with shortcrust pastry. We always had a meat and potato pie with a suet crust, served with mushy peas and home-made pickled onions late on Christmas Eve. Now we like a chicken and mushroom pie with a filo pastry topping.

Amberone Thu 04-Mar-21 14:02:51

Simple home made corned beef, potato and leek pie in shortcrust. I have to make a 9 inch pie for two of us so that OH can cut off slices for breakfast!

I love all sorts of sweet pies. Mouth is watering now...

NotAGran55 Thu 04-Mar-21 14:03:01

My mum’s blackberry and apple. I don’t think I have eaten a pie ? since she died 30 years ago . I definitely haven’t made one that’s for sure .

Urmstongran Thu 04-Mar-21 14:05:20

Ooh another fan of cheese and onion here! With butter mash & peas, please.

Greyduster Thu 04-Mar-21 14:07:35

I’m assuming we are talking pies with pastry crusts, because if we aren’t then my last meal on Earth would have to be a good fish pie, topped with cheesy mash. I would die happy!

BigBertha1 Thu 04-Mar-21 14:08:34

Has someone already said American Pie? If so I apologise I'm bored brainless today I even read the thread about Mrs Sussex.

Amberone Thu 04-Mar-21 14:10:03

My Gran in South Wales used to make Dewberry pie, with dewberries picked from the sand dunes and golf links nearby. Dewberries are glorious...much as I love pies of all sorts and most fruit nothing comes close to Dewberry pie

Auntieflo Thu 04-Mar-21 14:30:30

My mum used to make the most delicious meat pie.
She used a tin of Stewed steak, (I can't remember which brand),
and her pastry was the best, bar none.
Together with mashed potatoes, very dark greens and gravy.
Oh I could just eat it now.

Redhead56 Thu 04-Mar-21 14:37:46

That’s it I have got to make a pie for tea.

Kate1949 Thu 04-Mar-21 16:12:24

I rarely eat pies as they are mostly fattening but when I do, I realise what I am missing. I would say a lovely chicken pie would be my favourite.

cornishpatsy Thu 04-Mar-21 16:16:01

Cheese and potato pie has to be homemade. I think it must be the most calorific pie.

Blossoming What is butter pie?

icanhandthemback Thu 04-Mar-21 16:19:24

Steak and Stilton with shortcrust pastry. They became my addiction when we stayed at Woolacombe Bay and I have to have one wherever I can find them now. They are far and few between.

annsixty Thu 04-Mar-21 16:35:35

Simon Hopkinson’s cheese and onion pie is truly delicious as said upthread buy GrandmaSue.
Must admit to using readymade shortcrust but I am not a good pastry maker.
It is worth the time to caramelise the onions, it makes it worthwhile.
Only downside, not good the next day.
Next time I intend making two smaller ones and try freezing one before cooking.
I like a good rich meat pie too, has to be served with chunky chips.

Sparkling Thu 04-Mar-21 16:39:02

Home made steak and mushroom or chicken and mushroom pie, with shortcrust pastry. It’s made me feel so hungry.

timetogo2016 Thu 04-Mar-21 16:42:37

Homemade beef and onion puff pastry pie.
MMMMM.

Gagagran Thu 04-Mar-21 17:05:16

My Mum was a keen gardener and grew a lot of soft fruit including gooseberries. Her gooseberry tart was a thing of beauty and I have never had one like it since. Delicious!

She also made gooseberry fool with cream. I think she must have had a glut of gooseberries!

My favourite savoury pie is a steak pie made as a tray bake and cut into squares with rich gravy. Has to be shortcrust pastry.

MiniMoon Thu 04-Mar-21 17:12:54

We had my homemade Russian fish pie for lunch. It was the first pie I made at school when we were being taught how to make puff pastry.
I bought the pastry for this one as making my own is a faff.

My favourite pie is my late mother's corned beef pie, and for dessert, lemon meringue pie.

Fennel Thu 04-Mar-21 17:28:51

My favourite is apple pie, with pastry made by my Mum. I can't make pastry as good as hers.
I've started using bought puff pastry and have created a very tasty fish pie/pasty recipe based on salmon and smoked haddock.
With secret additives.

grandmajet Thu 04-Mar-21 17:32:07

I’m just drooling now. All of the above! Plus lemon meringue pie.

sodapop Thu 04-Mar-21 19:27:05

I love pies too but they have to be well filled. I hate it when the filling is skimped. My late mother in law used to make the most delicious mini Cornish pasties. I could just eat some right now.

Grandmabatty Thu 04-Mar-21 19:45:16

Steak and sausage pie from a local butcher. I love soggy pastry.

Callistemon Thu 04-Mar-21 22:26:32

Steak and ale pie with good puff pastry.
Lemon meringue pie as long as it's tangy and not sweet.

But I wouldn't say no to any of the ones mentioned on the thread, except I'm not keen on cheese with meat.

She also made gooseberry fool with cream. I think she must have had a glut of gooseberries!
I make that, Gagagran, it's a family favourite.
No pastry though, dare we mention it on here?

annodomini Thu 04-Mar-21 23:05:59

Apple pie with a touch of cinnamon; and real custard.

Maggiemaybe Thu 04-Mar-21 23:39:14

I make a pretty good chicken and ham pie ever since I had one of the Great North Pie Co’s at a Christmas Fair. It was the best I’d ever tasted, but they’re not local to us, so I’ve to do the best I can by adding the same herbs to the mix as they do.

If we’re eating out, I usually plump for a steak and ale. And as for sweet pies, I love gooseberry, plum or bramble. And bilberry, though I haven’t had one for years.