Gransnet forums

Food

What's your favourite pie?

(123 Posts)
StellaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 04-Mar-21 11:39:20

It's been brought to our attention that it's British Pie Week! So we wanted to do a very scientific poll to see which is the most popular on Gransnet? Home-made, store bought, sweet, savoury?
Beef and stilton, chicken and ham, spinach and feta?
Lemon meringue, apple and pear? Post below and tell us.
If you're looking for inspiration, we've got a few delicious recipes here.

Witzend Fri 05-Mar-21 15:05:14

Ooh yes, fish pie, with smoked haddock, white fish and a few prawns, in a white sauce with a little cheese, parsley and a splash of white wine (no salmon thanks unless smoked), loads of mash with plenty of cheese on top.

Dh would say lemon meringue pie, which he only gets about once a year on his birthday.

Pammie1 Fri 05-Mar-21 15:05:24

Good old fashioned ‘Kate and Sydney’ made with good beef chuck steak and beef kidney if you can get it-pork kidney is a good substitute if not. Lots of onions and garlic too. If I have any available, I like to melt the rinds from Stilton cheese into the filling as part of the seasoning. A friend recently gave me a really nice recipe for a veggie pie made with cooked and chopped butternut squash, roasted red peppers and feta cheese, encased in filo pastry.

Clevedon Fri 05-Mar-21 15:18:43

Steak and kidney for me ?

Jillybird Fri 05-Mar-21 15:26:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lizzie44 Fri 05-Mar-21 15:53:00

Fish pie with mixed white fish. Sauteed leeks, frozen chopped spinach and fish cooked in a white sauce. Optional sliced hard boiled egg on top. All topped with creamy mashed potato. Real comfort food.

Joelise Fri 05-Mar-21 16:22:09

Pecan pie, with double cream AND ice cream !
Peach cobbler.

Herbie9 Fri 05-Mar-21 16:58:12

Chicken and leek pie and apple and blackberry. Sadly not home made now but our local Cook shop has an excellent pie menu!

bridie54 Fri 05-Mar-21 17:09:14

I love a cheese ,apple and leek pie. I found the recipe in a magazine and had just been given home grown small leeks so was very timely. It’s very rustic, needs tangy Bramleys , and has no messing shortcrust pastry which lines the dish then folds over the filling. Yum

stewaris Fri 05-Mar-21 17:54:42

Cheese and onion for me if savoury and rhubarb and strawberry if sweet.

LadyO Fri 05-Mar-21 17:57:37

Oh yes we love pies!
Cottage pie, minced beef etc reduced down slowly to umami yumminess and topped with mash and grated cheese.
Fish pie with mash on top.
Steak and kidney (slow-cooked beef) with a suet crust.
If in a hurry - Pieminster beef and ale pies but I always serve them with leftover homemade beef gravy, I always make extra to freeze just for this purpose.

rocketstop Fri 05-Mar-21 18:37:19

My vegetarian home made pies : Quorn 'Chicken' pieces and leek, cheese and onion with mustard, quorn 'Meat' and potato, and cheating a bit here with the pie word...lovely shepherds pie , oh and not forgetting, not a pie at all, but pastry of a sort..my savoury veg crumble !!!
Pah, after having salad for tea, I'm now drooling on thios cold evening at the thought of a pie !!

tictacnana Fri 05-Mar-21 18:39:50

Everyone loves my apple pie made with apples from our garden. I like my cheese and onion pie.

chazwin Fri 05-Mar-21 19:38:39

StellaGransnet

It's been brought to our attention that it's British Pie Week! So we wanted to do a very scientific poll to see which is the most popular on Gransnet? Home-made, store bought, sweet, savoury?
Beef and stilton, chicken and ham, spinach and feta?
Lemon meringue, apple and pear? Post below and tell us.
If you're looking for inspiration, we've got a few delicious recipes here.

I make the world's greatest lemon meringue pie.
However - its not really a pie is it?
It's not got a pastry lid. That would make it a tart.

chazwin Fri 05-Mar-21 19:39:54

Steak pie is great.
Why do people hide kidney in pies though?
They smell and taste like pee, because that is what kidneys make.

Callistemon Fri 05-Mar-21 19:42:18

chazwin the difference between a pie and a tart has always puzzled me.

I've always called it lemon meringue pie or key lime pie (delicious).

annifrance Fri 05-Mar-21 21:21:08

Melton Mowbray pork pie. I'm trying to perfect this here in France. Love the look on the butcher's face when I ask for pigs trotters to make the gel! The French still think the Brita can't cook!

GrauntyHelen Fri 05-Mar-21 23:06:43

Rhubarb

LMW1 Sat 06-Mar-21 08:53:38

Steak and kidney (lots of kidney) smile

Whitewavemark2 Sat 06-Mar-21 09:32:04

Just made the filling for chicken mushroom and kale pie for dinner this evening ?

sweetcakes Sat 06-Mar-21 11:08:52

Once in a while I will search out a pie and mash shop and have it with liquor, vinegar and pepper I love it.
CHAZWIN
Kidneys are very nice they do not smell or taste like pee! My mother in law use to do a very tasty kidney and rice pilaf. And I love it in a steak and kidney pud.

Witzend Sat 06-Mar-21 13:19:32

Re kidneys, I remember my father occasionally having them fried for a weekend breakfast - he was the only kidney fan in our house. And I do remember a vaguely widdly smell - in fact he sometimes referred to them as widdly kiddlies.

sweetcakes Sat 06-Mar-21 15:16:39

Witzend ??