Gransnet forums

Food

Weekly shopping do you make menus for the week?

(57 Posts)
Children2 Wed 10-Mar-21 10:53:12

Wondered when you have to do weekly shops do you make menus in advance ?

M0nica Wed 10-Mar-21 23:30:37

bikergran having a plan does not mean having to stick with it. I often reorganise mine as the week progresses, or change items on a whim. However we usually more or less follow it.

I often forget what was planned and have to check in the morning. Usually it is a nice surprise. I like having a varied diet and my recipe cards contain several 100 recipes that I choose our meals from

nanna8 Thu 11-Mar-21 00:02:38

Sometimes I hear or see someone talk about food and then I fancy it so I do that. Tonight is salmon because I heard someone on the radio talk about it. Very suggestible am I.

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Mar-21 00:18:29

No, we don’t plan menus. To ring the changes we now have a weekly delivery of two recipe boxes, with all ingredients included, and we treat ourselves at the weekend to a takeaway from one of our local pubs/restaurants.

For the rest, my chef (aka DH) makes whatever he fancies making, with a bit of input from me. He’s a great cook, and tries a lot of new recipes. The fridge and freezers and allotment are kept well-stocked, and for anything last minute we’ve got the local market.

grannyqueenie Thu 11-Mar-21 00:49:15

When the children were all at home I tried but could never get on with advance menu planning. It’s been just the 2 of us for years now and I still don’t have a plan. My cupboards, fridge and freezer are kept pretty well stocked and I quite enjoy the challenge of making something tasty with what’s there and nothing’s wasted. It’s been harder with covid as I’ve not been able to nip out for a missing ingredient but not so hard as to drive me to menu planning. That just makes feel hemmed in and restricted and there’s been enough of that this past year!

Happygirl79 Thu 11-Mar-21 16:24:22

I live alone but have been following a slimming world diet online with my daughter and my sister. Its all about planning and it has given me structure during these difficult covid times. I love to cook and can eat extremely well and healthily without wasting food with the help of my fridge and freezer. I often use Google to put together recipes by typing in the leftover ingredients in my fridge

Oldbat1 Thu 11-Mar-21 17:11:20

No we never plan. We shop once a week and buy things on offer, we buy fresh veggies, some type of fresh fish, fresh chicken and loads of fruit. I’m not really interested in food and would be happy with some type of salad every day. We do have a large store cupboard.