Gransnet forums

Food

Beetroot

(45 Posts)
rowanflower0 Sun 04-Apr-21 12:07:23

I had never really liked beetroot on the past, but it has always been served to me steeped in vinegar. I also disliked it staining other salads, chicken, etc. Then I was served beetroot in jelly!
I am also told that beetroot also helps keep blood pressure down.
Cut cooked beetroot into cubes and place in a 2 pint dish; make up a raspberry jelly with boiling water, to the 1/2 pint mark; top up to 3/4 pint with red wine vinegar; pour over beetroot and leave to set.
No more staining, just tasty tangy jelly with lovely sweet beetroot - delicious!

MiniMoon Fri 18-Jun-21 15:53:01

I love jellied beetroot. I first encountered it when invited to tea by my future mother-in-law. I make it regularly now as it is one of my husband's favourites.
This recipe is almost identical to MiL's.

Ingredients for Jellied Beetroot:
1lb cooked beetroot, cubed
One packet of blackcurrant, cherry or raspberry jelly
½ pint boiling water to melt jelly
¼ pint vinegar
2 tbsps lemon juice
Cold water to make jelly up to a pint
Method for Jellied Beetroot:
Pack jars with beetroot and pour jelly over.
Shake jars to ensure no air spaces and further top up if needed. Easy Peasy!

25Avalon Fri 18-Jun-21 15:06:16

You can use blackcurrant jelly instead of raspberry. I use the powdered variety as it is easier to dissolve.

Callistemon Fri 18-Jun-21 14:51:16

I knew something was missing from my cheese salad at lunch-time!

DanniRae Fri 18-Jun-21 14:50:27

Because of this thread I have returned from shopping with a jar of sliced beetroot in sweet vinegar and had it with ham in a white, crusty roll..........delicious! smile

Liz46 Fri 18-Jun-21 11:07:04

When we had an allotment we used to go early in the morning, do some weeding and then gather anything that was ready. It would often be beetroot, fennel, tomatoes etc.

We'd come home and chop it all up (the beetroot takes ages to cook so that would be chopped into small pieces), add olive oil and balsamic vinegar and pop it in the oven.

Then we'd have our showers and pop some garlic bread in the oven too. They were delicious lunches!

Callistemon Fri 18-Jun-21 10:38:28

Callistemon

A similar recipe to foxie's but roasted in the oven with red onion, garlic and thyme sprigs then a little chicken stock (or vegetable stock) and balsamic vinegar poured over at the end and reduced on the hob to make a glaze.

All drizzled with oil before putting in the oven

SuzieHi Fri 18-Jun-21 10:35:20

Oh… forgot the red onion in my beetroot chutney recipe above! Anyway - Google recipes. There are loads

timetogo2016 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:15:27

Off to buy beetroot after reading this.
Baked beetroot and jacket potatoes for dinner .

Callistemon Fri 18-Jun-21 10:09:43

A similar recipe to foxie's but roasted in the oven with red onion, garlic and thyme sprigs then a little chicken stock (or vegetable stock) and balsamic vinegar poured over at the end and reduced on the hob to make a glaze.

TerriBull Fri 18-Jun-21 09:08:00

I really love beetroot I think it's fab. I don't put it into salads when I'm making a large one for guests because it stains. I do put it into small salads for myself, loads of it smile

Beetroot must be one of the most vividly coloured natural foods.

foxie48 Fri 18-Jun-21 09:02:05

I like to fry lightly cooked baby beets in a little butter with some finely chopped garlic, some fresh herbs and then a glug of balsamic vinegar. It's good hot or cold. Also roasted with other veg and added to couscous with a dressing or as part of a roast dinner. Yummy!

Greyduster Fri 18-Jun-21 08:59:07

I ate my first chocolate and beetroot cake recently (gluten free) and it was a revelation. Might give the jelly a try.

westendgirl Fri 18-Jun-21 08:57:31

The beetroot in jelly was very popular in the 70s if you were doing a buffet.
I do a beetroot and ginger chutney which is very popular and used to cook baby beetroot in with a creamy white sauce .It's quite a useful veg.

SuzieHi Fri 18-Jun-21 08:56:31

My mum used to make the beetroot and raspberry jelly. I order a beetroot chutney- oven roast beetroot in foil, peel and chop. Add to preserving pan with garlic, vinegar, maybe chopped apple, brown sugar and cook until pulpy. Bottle & store for a month before eating. Google quantities!

Visgir1 Fri 18-Jun-21 08:46:57

Beetroot Curry fabulous

DanniRae Fri 18-Jun-21 08:00:32

It's a bit of a shock when, after eating beetroot, your wee goes pink! shock

factmrreports Fri 18-Jun-21 07:32:27

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Oldbat1 Sat 10-Apr-21 20:14:12

I loved pickled beetroot when pregnant. I would eat jars of it. Still enjoy picked beetroot in a salad

timetogo2016 Sat 10-Apr-21 18:56:12

It`s also nice grated in chilli-con -carne.
I love it,and for those whomay not know,you can buy beetroot juice/cordial in a bottle.

3dognight Sat 10-Apr-21 18:44:52

No need to peel beets, just wash the soil off, twist (not cut) off the tops/leaves then boil or roast in their skins - they can just be squeezed out of their skins when cool enough to handle.

My sister cooks and eats the green tops too, I haven’t tried this, she says it’s the same as perpetual spinach.

I’m liking the sound of beetroot jelly, I’m not a fan of beetroot in vinegar.

Magnolia62 Sat 10-Apr-21 17:21:11

Last year a friend gave me a jar of beetroot and orange chutney. Delicious and even liked by my husband who isn’t very keen on beetroot. So I then made some using a BBC Good Food recipe. Many say it was a bit spicy but you do need to leave it for a few weeks to mature. I recommend it.

foxie48 Mon 05-Apr-21 09:16:51

Another beetroot lover and always grow it so I can pick it when it's small. Unfortunately, the mice in the garden also love it so I have to share, any tips on keeping it nibble free would be gratefully received.

J52 Mon 05-Apr-21 07:45:49

I also adore Beetroot. I usually grow too much, so now only plant it every other year, otherwise I’ve too much bottled.
My MIL used to serve it sliced in orange juice.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 05-Apr-21 07:34:43

Just sown mine?

Beechnut Mon 05-Apr-21 07:28:25

I’ve made the Beetroot jelly and it’s something ‘I’m not sure of’ regards to liking. I won’t make it again.