Gransnet forums

Food

Eggs. How can you tell if they are bad?

(34 Posts)
Grammaretto Tue 04-May-21 18:25:08

Now I live alone I find I don't eat many eggs. I don't bake cakes and 6 eggs seems to last for ages, by which time they have gone beyond their sell by date.
If they float, they are bad presumably but if they don't smell bad is it OK to eat them? And what's the worst that would happen if I did?
Obviously if they are really bad I would know but a stale egg?

Lollin Sun 09-May-21 10:05:44

Thank you Amberone I have seen online that using eggs with lemon can thicken hair but never tried it for fear of ending up with scrambled hair.
bluebelle 2 months! Makes my trepidation with 2 weeks seem silly now

Grammaretto Sun 09-May-21 10:30:11

Goodness me Amberone I had never heard of that. I hope it works. Sounds an awful faff.
Bluebelle wow! that is good news.

I bought some fresh eggs and have eaten several already so maybe I don't need to buy them singly.

We kept hens years ago and I can still remember the awful stink of a bad egg, even before it was cracked.

midgey Sun 09-May-21 11:04:59

I do remember my sister trying the egg hair treatment, only she cracked the egg on her head and then used hot water! Still makes me laugh sixty years later ?

annodomini Sun 09-May-21 11:24:40

When I had quite bad dandruff as a teenager, my mum took me to an 'alternative' practitioner who advised treating my hair with egg. My mum duly tried it and what happened? Scrambled egg in my hair!

Mollygo Sun 09-May-21 11:28:15

Annodomini , similar memory, but we’ve been recommended to use beer, vinegar and various other things as well.

Amberone Sun 09-May-21 11:36:53

Goodness me Amberone I had never heard of that. I hope it works. Sounds an awful faff

Not a faff at all Grammaretto I've been doing it for nearly 15 years ? Takes 3 minutes to make my shampoo, put it on hair and wrap it, have my morning coffee, rinse off. Nothing new about it either - I got it from a book written in 1921.

Lollin I wouldn't use the lemon as it's very drying. Even the eggs are drying.

There is some science behind it though: eggs contain proteins that act as emulsifiers to get rid of oil, proteins that can stimulate hair growth (the Japanese are looking at how they can be used in shampoos I believe), Vits A and E, folate, biotin and other minerals needed for healthy hair. What's not to like?

Amberone Sun 09-May-21 11:39:23

midgey

I do remember my sister trying the egg hair treatment, only she cracked the egg on her head and then used hot water! Still makes me laugh sixty years later ?

I got scrambled once when I first started - awful mess that took ages to get rid of ?

Deedaa Fri 28-May-21 17:53:45

When I worked in a cafe our boss used to bring in eggs that his hens had laid. You were never sure how old they were as his hens used to hide them all over the place. I once cracked one and found it was a fluorescent emerald green inside. Oddly enough I can't remember it smelling bad.