Gransnet forums

Food

Lyles Golden Syrup

(61 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 07-May-21 21:45:12

I loved this syrup as a child. A syrup sandwich was a real treat - it was so sweet. I clearly recall the image on the tin of a dead lion lying there. How strange! The slogan on the tin read “Out of the strong came forth sweetness”, I wonder what that allmeant?

muse Mon 10-May-21 11:02:49

I tend to buy Morrison's own make as we get through quite a lot. MrM has it on porridge (not every time) and any left over yorkshire puddings. My oatie traybake biscuits I make have it in and once a month I make two cakes with lots in!

I have eaten a syrup sandwich as a youngster.

BBbevan. Yes - it was delicious with the custard. I used sit with the littlies at school dinner time once a week. It was served up occasionally but the pastry was terrible. I make my own now occasionally and remember to put a little layer of jam in too.

I do buy Lyles Black Treacle though as that goes in a gingerbread cake I make.

Elegran Mon 10-May-21 10:47:54

Mrs Mopp "Out of the strong came forth sweetness" is part of a riddle set by Samson for the Philistine guests at his wedding, and based on his finding a nest of bees in the carcase of a lion he had killed (on his way to find his bride); Samson's wife wheedles the answer out of him and gives it away.

His wife's name was Delilah, a Philistine - the Philistines were the enemy - who was later bribed to find out the source of Samson's great strength. She sweet-talked the answer out of him - it was his long hair, which he never cut. She waited until he was asleep, then shaved it all off, whereupon her co-conspirators rushed in, bound him and took him captive.

He was imprisoned in the temple of Dagon at Gaza, blinded and chained to one of the pillars, to be jeered at and tormented by his captors, and in his weakness was unable to escape or retaliate.

However, after some time, his hair had grown again, and his strength gradually returned. He waited until a large number of his enemies were gathered together, then stood between two pillars and pushed on them both until they gave way and the roof fell in, killing all those inside - including Samson.

Witzend Mon 10-May-21 10:18:41

So called ‘treacle tart’, Hetty58? My mother used to make that, but it was just with golden syrup, no actual treacle.

IIRC basically breadcrumbs mixed with GS in a pastry case. I thought of making something similar recently - there are recipes online if you google treacle tart.

Hetty58 Mon 10-May-21 10:15:08

Love it (it's an occasional treat) - especially as a sponge pudding with custard.

I have very fond memories of a syrup tart we had as children. It had cornflakes instead of breadcrumbs, and some finely grated lemon rind on top. One day I'll have a go at making it!

timetogo2016 Mon 10-May-21 10:08:57

What a coincidence BBbevan,I made one just last week as dh and i were chatting about school meals.
Cornflake tart and choco;ate slab came out on top.
I make cookies so theres always a tin in the cupboard.

Juliet27 Sat 08-May-21 07:50:25

I remember as a child being asked to fetch the tin from the kitchen. For some reason I carried it upside down above my head. The lid came off and I ended up with a very sticky arm

Witzend Sat 08-May-21 07:48:05

Not just flapjacks - I have a lovely sticky gingerbread recipe which uses golden syrup and black treacle. ?

BigBertha1 Sat 08-May-21 07:41:15

I used to love syrup on my porridge in winter when I was a child. Since then I have switched to honey which is not as nice but I thought DH would pass comment on syrup.

BBbevan Sat 08-May-21 04:43:44

Did anyone have syrup and cornflakes tart for school dinner?. That was wonderful.

Redhead56 Sat 08-May-21 01:39:42

I make Polish back bread and pumpernickel bagels with treacle and golden syrup goes with just about anything.

nanna8 Sat 08-May-21 00:37:00

There is a shop near here that sometimes has it but usually you can’t get it in Melbourne. Lovely on porridge, not good for diabetics but, hey, you’ve got to live.

Teacheranne Fri 07-May-21 23:59:45

annsixty

Seeing the pancake suggestion reminds me that as a child we had it on the left over Yorkshire puddings.

So did we! In fact mum had to make Yorkshire puddings especially to have as pudding. She use to put the tin in the oven when dinner was cooked so that it warmed slightly in the remaining heat and the syrup was slightly runny and easy to pour - yummy!

B9exchange Fri 07-May-21 23:38:30

I recently found a recipe for a golden syrup cake, which I put ginger in. It gets progressively stickier on top, like the McVities ginger cakes, but not as dark. Trouble is it is far too moreish!

grannyactivist Fri 07-May-21 23:34:51

Each of my children has a particular favourite when it comes to home baked cakes and my youngest still gets very excited when I bake him a golden syrup loaf cake. It’s really moist and moreish, but very, very sweet.

geekesse Fri 07-May-21 23:30:55

It’s essential for making good flapjacks, tastes wonderful on crumpets and makes leftover Yorkshire puds into a sweet treat. I wouldn’t be without it.

Shelflife Fri 07-May-21 23:11:56

Golden syrup is easily available, either in the traditional tin or can be bought in a squeezy bottle. Used in cake recipes and delicious on porridge.

mrsmopp Fri 07-May-21 22:55:13

Susie, just spotted your post, thanks for clearing that up for m!

MrsAllboys Fri 07-May-21 22:51:22

Loved it growing up. And on hot buttered crumpets! I probably would still but not had it for over 25 years?

Puzzler61 Fri 07-May-21 22:49:21

CanadianGran you have maple syrup - that is delicious on a pecan tart! ?

mrsmopp Fri 07-May-21 22:48:55

Not sure I understand the connection with lions and bees but still::::lovely product. And black treacle too, - all those childhood memories, much enjoyed,

Puzzler61 Fri 07-May-21 22:47:16

It has the Queen’s Royal Warrant on the label too.
It’s too sweet for me but my DD’s loved it.
It was difficult to keep the lid clean as it was a sort of a flat disc shape and always sticky.

Bluebellwould Fri 07-May-21 22:43:50

They do a maple flavour syrup and strawberry syrup. They are to die for and if I eat too much I certainly will.

LadyGracie Fri 07-May-21 22:40:15

I love it on crumpets, the butter and syrup soak through, very yummy ?

mrsmopp Fri 07-May-21 22:39:46

I didn’t know it was still available because my corner shop doesn’t have it. I know a tin of syrup lasted for ages and never went ‘off’.

annsixty Fri 07-May-21 22:20:56

Seeing the pancake suggestion reminds me that as a child we had it on the left over Yorkshire puddings.