Gransnet forums

Food

Lyles Golden Syrup

(61 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 07-May-21 21:45:12

I loved this syrup as a child. A syrup sandwich was a real treat - it was so sweet. I clearly recall the image on the tin of a dead lion lying there. How strange! The slogan on the tin read “Out of the strong came forth sweetness”, I wonder what that allmeant?

mrsmopp Tue 11-May-21 19:44:28

A squeeze bottle, did someone mention? What sacrilege !
And I bet there was no dead lion on there either!
What is the country coming to.........

Fishpieplease Tue 11-May-21 20:34:45

I always have golden syrup in the cupboard. Best childhood sandwich was a toffee apple sandwich....thinly sliced eating apple,covered in golden syrup. I could never manage the Cornish favourite which was Thunder and Lightning....bread and butter with golden syrup and,wait for it,clotted cream. When the extra large tins were empty,Dad drilled 2 holes in the edge,attached string and that was our stilts! I’m more restrained now,but always add a spoonful of syrup when stewing fruit.

Mollygo Tue 11-May-21 20:41:03

Best invention for golden syrup is the squeezy bottle. The lid never gets stuck, no black edges on the tin, syrup goes exactly where you want it.
I miss licking the spoon though.

mokryna Tue 11-May-21 21:09:18

Oh my goodness, I remember spooning it onto a steamed spotted dick. Also, cooked at the bottom of the bowl with the mixture one top for an ordinary steamed pudding, which was reversed onto a plate when cooked, the syrup was thick on the top and then custard poured over it.

Elegran Tue 11-May-21 21:19:41

MrsMopp There IS a dead lion on the squeezy bottle. I have been to the cupboard to find the Golden Syrup and prove it.

In my childhood, one use of the empty tin was as a watering can substitute. Dad would punch a lot of holes in it and use it to dip water out of a bucket and hold it over the plants to drip.

You can also make a pair of telephones by punching one hole in the base of each of two tins and joining them with a length of string several yards long (push the end through the hole into the tin and tie a knot in it, repeat with the other end.). If the string is held taut, a child speaking quietly into one tin can be heard plainly by another child some distance away with the other tin held to his/her ear.

dahlia Wed 12-May-21 12:18:05

Fishpieplease, we used to do the same with the empty tins, no need for fancy toys in the 50's! I always have a tin of syrup in the cupboard for biscuits and cake recipes, and when the children were at home many moons ago, our family favourite was spotted dick, steamed in a cloth and served with custard and golden syrup. Just thinking of it makes my mouth water! smile

Lin52 Sun 23-May-21 19:10:38

annsixty

Seeing the pancake suggestion reminds me that as a child we had it on the left over Yorkshire puddings.

My grown up D and S still enjoy Golden syrup on left over Yorkies.

Magnolia62 Sat 29-May-21 23:22:18

Growing up on a farm with Channel Island cows, we always had plenty of clotted cream made by Mum. Bread spread with golden syrup and topped with clotted cream was a regular snack. Never had butter as well, and never heard it called thunder and lightening though. Perhaps I come from a different part of Cornwall than a pp.

MayBee70 Sat 29-May-21 23:28:29

There’s a super cool coffee shop that we used to go to pre covid that uses old Golden Syrup tins to keep sugar cubes in. I had to buy a tin so I could have one in my kitchen.

NotSpaghetti Sat 29-May-21 23:47:20

CanadianGran

And I always thought he was just sleeping... never-mind the swarm of bugs around him!

These are the bees that made the honey in the carcass of the lion (that Sampson killed with his bare hands).
I think the previous verse is something along the lines of "out of the eater comes meat".