Gransnet forums

Food

Lyles Golden Syrup

(61 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 07-May-21 21:45:12

I loved this syrup as a child. A syrup sandwich was a real treat - it was so sweet. I clearly recall the image on the tin of a dead lion lying there. How strange! The slogan on the tin read “Out of the strong came forth sweetness”, I wonder what that allmeant?

Redhead56 Sat 08-May-21 01:39:42

I make Polish back bread and pumpernickel bagels with treacle and golden syrup goes with just about anything.

BBbevan Sat 08-May-21 04:43:44

Did anyone have syrup and cornflakes tart for school dinner?. That was wonderful.

BigBertha1 Sat 08-May-21 07:41:15

I used to love syrup on my porridge in winter when I was a child. Since then I have switched to honey which is not as nice but I thought DH would pass comment on syrup.

Witzend Sat 08-May-21 07:48:05

Not just flapjacks - I have a lovely sticky gingerbread recipe which uses golden syrup and black treacle. ?

Juliet27 Sat 08-May-21 07:50:25

I remember as a child being asked to fetch the tin from the kitchen. For some reason I carried it upside down above my head. The lid came off and I ended up with a very sticky arm

timetogo2016 Mon 10-May-21 10:08:57

What a coincidence BBbevan,I made one just last week as dh and i were chatting about school meals.
Cornflake tart and choco;ate slab came out on top.
I make cookies so theres always a tin in the cupboard.

Hetty58 Mon 10-May-21 10:15:08

Love it (it's an occasional treat) - especially as a sponge pudding with custard.

I have very fond memories of a syrup tart we had as children. It had cornflakes instead of breadcrumbs, and some finely grated lemon rind on top. One day I'll have a go at making it!

Witzend Mon 10-May-21 10:18:41

So called ‘treacle tart’, Hetty58? My mother used to make that, but it was just with golden syrup, no actual treacle.

IIRC basically breadcrumbs mixed with GS in a pastry case. I thought of making something similar recently - there are recipes online if you google treacle tart.

Elegran Mon 10-May-21 10:47:54

Mrs Mopp "Out of the strong came forth sweetness" is part of a riddle set by Samson for the Philistine guests at his wedding, and based on his finding a nest of bees in the carcase of a lion he had killed (on his way to find his bride); Samson's wife wheedles the answer out of him and gives it away.

His wife's name was Delilah, a Philistine - the Philistines were the enemy - who was later bribed to find out the source of Samson's great strength. She sweet-talked the answer out of him - it was his long hair, which he never cut. She waited until he was asleep, then shaved it all off, whereupon her co-conspirators rushed in, bound him and took him captive.

He was imprisoned in the temple of Dagon at Gaza, blinded and chained to one of the pillars, to be jeered at and tormented by his captors, and in his weakness was unable to escape or retaliate.

However, after some time, his hair had grown again, and his strength gradually returned. He waited until a large number of his enemies were gathered together, then stood between two pillars and pushed on them both until they gave way and the roof fell in, killing all those inside - including Samson.

muse Mon 10-May-21 11:02:49

I tend to buy Morrison's own make as we get through quite a lot. MrM has it on porridge (not every time) and any left over yorkshire puddings. My oatie traybake biscuits I make have it in and once a month I make two cakes with lots in!

I have eaten a syrup sandwich as a youngster.

BBbevan. Yes - it was delicious with the custard. I used sit with the littlies at school dinner time once a week. It was served up occasionally but the pastry was terrible. I make my own now occasionally and remember to put a little layer of jam in too.

I do buy Lyles Black Treacle though as that goes in a gingerbread cake I make.

muse Mon 10-May-21 11:24:34

Just spotted your cake Witzend. I wonder if it is the same cake I mentioned in my comment. It's one of our favourites.

ixion Mon 10-May-21 12:06:12

Oh no - I always thought that he was asleep too, must be right 'cos my mum reassured me?
Mr.I has just had a good laugh at my expense.

Nanna58 Mon 10-May-21 12:10:38

As a child I was traumatised by that damn tin !,?

grandtanteJE65 Mon 10-May-21 12:17:16

The connection between the lion, the bees and honey can be cleared up by looking up chapter 14 of the Book of Judges in the Old Testament.

Samson killed a lion, left the poor thing lying, and came back later to find bees nesting in the carcase and honey galore. (my paraphrase The King James' Bible puts it rather better),

tiredoldwoman Mon 10-May-21 12:23:10

My Aunty used to wind my cousin's dummy in golden syrup , he would sit like a baby bird wide mouthed waiting for the oozy treat . He has false teeth now !

Hellogirl1 Mon 10-May-21 12:23:24

I love it on bread, but it has to be eaten straight away, or it goes sugary and not as nice.

3nanny6 Mon 10-May-21 12:46:58

I detested the stuff as a child and my mother always had some in the pantry cupboard. My brother loved it especially on pancakes and he would always have our mother making pancakes and spoon dollops of it over them. Mum used to tell me off because I would never eat mine.

cornishpatsy Mon 10-May-21 12:49:29

I bought some last week, it comes in a squeezy bottle now, much easier.

Purplepixie Mon 10-May-21 12:53:14

It’s available in all the supermarkets here in the UK. I use it a lot making Peanuts triangles, ginger cake, sticky toffee pudding etc.

Cabbie21 Mon 10-May-21 13:16:17

I am pretty sure there is a tin in my cupboard. It has been. There a long time, so I am not sure what it will be like now.
I loved it as a child, on bread and butter, or on porridge.

tiredoldwoman Mon 10-May-21 14:08:02

I like it on 'eggy bread'. Will have to run out and get some mmmmm.....

Auntieflo Mon 10-May-21 14:41:46

I love golden syrup on bread, but it has to be real butter first.

Also on breakfast porage in winter.

Our DS2 used to have a syrup sandwich with cheese, for Sunday tea, which DSIL has now adopted as a favourite.

Aldom Mon 10-May-21 16:26:04

For me it has to be Lyle's supermarket own brand syrup just isn't the same on porridge.

MerylStreep Mon 10-May-21 16:41:16

You can imagine how much we had: my mum worked in the factory ?
The Canning Town one.

Fennel Mon 10-May-21 17:57:17

Elegran and Grandetante - thanks for clearing that up. It was niggling at the back of my mind. so poetic
.My Gran used to make perfect yorkshires with syrup for pudding. I think that started with food rationing as there was a severe shortage of sugar.